Do you wear (or carry) a watch?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Yes, and I am under 30.
8%
Yes, and I am over 30 (or 30 exactly).
38%
No, and I am under 30.
2%
No, and I am over 30 (or 30 exactly).
50%
Other answer (please explain).
2%

Total votes: 52

Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Jack

Re: Do you wear (or carry) a watch?

Post by Jack »

I am curious as to how these votes come in. I overheard an elderly lady today say that young people these days don't wear watches because they can tell time by their cell phones, blackberries, and other electronic devices.

After thinking about it, I realized this seems at least somewhat true. So...POLL TIME!
ketida

Post by ketida »

Yes, it's true, I pretty much stopped wearing a watch after acquiring a cell phone. (Which I am seriously considering dumping, but that's another topic).
I do still wear a watch when I'm performing, while I sometimes need to check the time, its just not cool to look at your cell in the midst of a performance :shock:
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nope, haven't worn one for 40 years, although I still look at my wrist when discussing the time with anyone. Can't remember which arm, though. These days, just use the car clock, or the cell phone clock.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I do - but I find I use it less and less. It used to be that I felt naked without my watch on. Now I usually wear it, but if I don't, it's OK. Partly because of my cell phone, I suppose.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I remember reading that wristwatches came in at the time of the first world war, so that the soldiers in the trenches could co-ordinate the advances (or at least, the attacks). Since they were carrying so much kit, pocket watches were unwieldy and time-consuming. They would take time to put away, which could be a very bad thing.

I've had wristwatches since I was a teenager. I always felt as if it was a shackle, indicating that I was a slave to time. Us ASD sufferers are easily irked by discomfort in clothes, and wristwatches are irksome. Some poor quality chrome pieces gave me a rash. I have my grandfathers old watch-chain, of good red gold. No idea what happened to the watch, though. My wife, bless her, got me a pocket-watch when Swatch started doing them. Sad to say, they died or I lost them.

I'm happy to use my mobile (cell-phone) as a watch. It even has an analogue display, which I like. Now I'm irked by requests to turn my mobile off, as it means I don't know what time it is.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
missy

Post by missy »

I haven't worn one since I started working so much on the computer. It interferes with my wrist placement. I, too, use my cell phone.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

At work I always wear a watch. Everything in an operating room is time dependent and even though there are clocks all over the place, sometimes I'm in a spot where I can't see one.
On weekends I find myself wearing it less and less.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nope. Rely on cell phone away from home, wall or computer clock at home.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I wear one but find lots of reasons to take it off. That said, there are lots of clocks everywhere judging by all those clocks the real time seems to be+/- 5 minutes either way.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I have lost at least two expensive wristwatches because I hate wearing one, and tended to take them off whenever possible and leave them lying around. They always irritate my wrist, causing sweating and chafing, and catching hairs.

Since losing the last one I haven't carried a watch at all, my mobile or iPod will tell me close enough when I need to know the time on the move, and have alarm settings, which are more useful than a regular wristwatch.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

wristwatches are a pain. Used to use a pocket watch before cellphones, but now I use the phone. I'd rather use this neat little thing I have that tells time, temp & humidity, it's easier to see than the phone, but it's clip is unreliable.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Martin Milner wrote: Since losing the last one I haven't carried a watch at all, my mobile or iPod will tell me close enough when I need to know the time on the move, and have alarm settings, which are more useful than a regular wristwatch.
And that's the other point--I write myself a note on the Palm Centro, with an alarm attached. So the thing bingbongs at me and actually says "pick up your sister from the airport," or whatever it is.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I wore one until one of the Izzlets did the laundry and washed the last one I had. Since then, I've wanted one (I hate digging my cell out) but haven't found one I really like.

I miss my watch I had back in the '80s. It was a Swatch, and was pink and aqua with funky designs. It was the coolest thing ever. I've always been into funkier watches, which is probably why I can't find one I like now :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

IB wrote:I remember reading that wristwatches came in at the time of the first world war, so that the soldiers in the trenches could co-ordinate the advances (or at least, the attacks).
I've read that sometimes the only thing left of some guys after bombs would hit their trenches was their wrist watch. The rest of them were totally reduced to a liquid spatter. The term they had for it in the trenches was "knocked to spots."

I tried wearing watches when younger but I would always smash them, knocking into things with my wrist. I hate the feel of them and have gone without for decades. I recently have taken to carrying a cheapie in my pocket. I have no cell phone.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.