Question: bare-breasted festival attire?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Question: bare-breasted festival attire?

Post by peeplj »

A question for the board:

We just went to the North Texas Irish Festival in Dallas. While we were there we saw one woman, and heard rumor of others, who were dressed in festival attire that left one breast bare.

My question: is this a style based in some way on history, or more likely a wardrobe malfunction? (The woman didn't act like she was in the middle of a clothing crisis, and I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to ask her about it, so I didn't.)

Thanks.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Question: bare-breasted festival attire?

Post by Denny »

well.....which one?
djm

Post by djm »

Ah, yes, the old Medieval, half-back, half-front Irish archery babe from the Amazon ploy. Third time I've fallen for that this week.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Never heard of this as a style of female attire in Ireland, far too chilly & wet.

In Rio, not a problem.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I'm for it!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Martin Milner wrote:Never heard of this as a style of female attire in Ireland, far too chilly & wet.

In Rio, not a problem.
Not always. There is a document of an English Ambassador's trip to Ireland in Elizabethan times when riding through South Armagh, I think it was, they came upon a cottage where there were a bevy of women at various household tasks, but without a stitch on. Not a whit abashed, they invited the travellers to join them for some refreshment. The English Ambassador was blate and hung back, but the Irish Lord his guide cheerfully dismounted his horse and stripped to join the ladies. Apparently it was not unusual in those times. Happy days!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

In order to judge the historical accuracy of this garb, we'd need to see pictures...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

brewerpaul wrote:In order to judge the historical accuracy of this garb, we'd need to see pictures...
I think your signature line is entirely inappropriate :lol:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

brewerpaul wrote:In order to judge the historical accuracy of this garb, we'd need to see pictures...
Well, oddly enough... the Romans alleged that the Celts went "naked into battle". There's some dispute about this, and there are claims that it meant "without armour" rather than "without clothing". There are a number of pictures of Irish Aristocracy from Seventeenth Century and later, where the (male) aristocrat is shown in a chain-mail shirt, or single breastplate, with pale pink tights. There is some evidence to suppose that the pale-pink tights were to preserve the modesty of those viewing the picture, and that Irish Knights did indeed go into battle naked, at least from the waist down.

No naked ladies, though. Shame! :poke:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

djm wrote:Ah, yes, the old Medieval, half-back, half-front Irish archery babe from the Amazon ploy. Third time I've fallen for that this week.

djm
Usually archer babes want more coverage not less. Granted compound shooting, as displayed here, is not real archery but the principles are the same. This is even more important when shooting "compounds" the way I prefer.
ImageImageImage
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

... yeah, right... :lol: :lol: :lol:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Overall, I would say her dress looked more Medieval than Irish--not that I'm an expert on either. I thought perhaps the bared breast was meant to mark her as a wet-nurse; it looked intentional and as though the dress was deliberately made that way.

I was a bit surprised and don't actually remember with certainty which breast was bare, but I think it was the left.

Though the woman didn't seem uncomfortable at all, we somehow didn't feel it was an area to linger in, so we moved along.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
reedbiter

Post by reedbiter »

Dang it Joe...why the hell wasn't that a fashion when WE did the festivals? EH? Dang it! WHY I ask you WHY!!?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

peeplj wrote:Overall, I would say her dress looked more Medieval than Irish--not that I'm an expert on either. I thought perhaps the bared breast was meant to mark her as a wet-nurse; it looked intentional and as though the dress was deliberately made that way.

I was a bit surprised and don't actually remember with certainty which breast was bare, but I think it was the left.

Though the woman didn't seem uncomfortable at all, we somehow didn't feel it was an area to linger in, so we moved along.

--James
Having been a participant in the Minnesota Renaissance Festival for the past 25 years, I can honestly say that that most of its performers don't have a clue (nor want one) what 'period attire' is or isn't.
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

I was at that same festival on Sunday, but I didn't seen any bare breasts. I guess I should have gone on Saturday?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."