A disappearing star, a shooting star or both?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
belnox
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A disappearing star, a shooting star or both?

Post by belnox »

It was twinkling in an April sky-quite a bright star almost as bright as Sirius and it was fairly near to the horizon. I was aware of it for most of the evening being sat outside. After talking with friends I glanced again at the sky and noticed it had disappeared. I should note that during it being there and then disappearing I was lucky enough to see a shooting star race across the sky above our heads-it came from the general direction of the 'star'-it made a noise too i recall as it passed overhead. Maybe I should have looked at the star then to see if it had gone. The sky seemed empty without it. Anyone experienced something similar? I've been in awe ever since.
Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway. Mary-Kay-Ash
djm

Re: A disappearing star, a shooting star or both?

Post by djm »

Yes, good weed can do that for you.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

quick to judge you are

when they don't share
belnox

Post by belnox »

Hehe nope wasn't on weed, i wasn't intoxicated either i was sat beneath a coincidentally changeing sky and I thought i was going slightly mad...
Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway. Mary-Kay-Ash
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Sometimes when I've seen a meteorite I've heard a sort of "sizzle" if the surroundings are quiet. It does make it more real somehow. Must be a hell of a racket up there, if you can hear it on the ground.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
belnox

Post by belnox »

Yep like a 'fffffffffffffffffffffffff' noise i think. Saw its glowing trail too which was pretty cool. I wonder why the star disappeared from the sky or was it a star...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

belnox wrote:Yep like a 'fffffffffffffffffffffffff' noise i think. Saw its glowing trail too which was pretty cool.
I've had the same experience. I never expected to be able to hear anything, and was thunderstruck.
belnox wrote:I wonder why the star disappeared from the sky or was it a star...
My first thought is that the shooting star and the disappearing thingum were probably not one and the same. Not that I exactly believe in them, but a UFO, maybe? :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Something in the distance may have obscured the star as well.

Couldn't have been a UFO though. Why? Because while there is most certainly extra-terrestrial life, maybe even intelligent life, such life forms would have absolutely no good reason to come visit such a backwater solar system.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, but we have Starbuck's.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:Ah, but we have Starbuck's.
Meh. That just means the only visitors we'll get will be the dregs of intergalactic society.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Denny wrote:quick to judge you are

It just somehow needed that.....
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Until it is identified it remains, by definition, a UFO. :P

If it was visible for most of the evening then it was not a meteor, and it is unlikely that the subsequent shooting star was directly associated with the bright "star".

From your description it sounds more like a planet. I'm a bit rusty on what is where at this time, but Venus and Jupiter are frequently very bright in the sky, and Venus particularly is at it's brightest low in the sky at early evening (or morning, depending when observed) - and it is bright.

Because it's nearer the sun than we are, it always appears roughly in a similar direction to that of the rising or setting sun. I don't think it ever gets further away than about 40 or 50 degrees from the sun as viewed from here.

Without further info, my money would be on Venus. It can be a striking sight. Checked out through a good telescope it does the phases thing like the moon does. Cool.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Denny

Post by Denny »

hah! I'll see yer Venus and raise ya Jupiter!

Skipped right by Mars....

coming soon to a sky near you
http://astroblogger.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... ineup.html
belnox

Post by belnox »

It baffles me as it was twinkling (ive heard that stars twinkle but planets dont). Its glow was very slightly golden.

I had a look on web link http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/625665/Venus

Quote " The rotation of Venus on its axis is unusual in both its direction and its speed. The Sun and most of the planets in the solar system rotate in a counterclockwise direction when viewed from above their north poles; this direction is called direct, or prograde. Venus, however, rotates in the opposite, or retrograde, direction."

It was quite near to the horizon, so if it was Venus i'm thinking is it possible it slipped out of visual range somehow given its orbit goes the other way-I really have no idea!

Is it possible it was so bright that it gave off a twinkling aura? (not aurora :o that would just confuse things more!)