pocket knife

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you keep a pocket knife with you?

yes
55%
No
29%
Other
16%

Total votes: 55

I.D.10-t
antispam: No

pocket knife

Post by I.D.10-t »

Might be a strange question, I know that I cannot fly with one, go to certain clubs with one, etc. and I make sure to comply on those rare occasions, but the other day I received a package, and while breaking down the box was asked to cut the tape of several boxes that were sitting around because I had a knife. Is it really that strange to have a basic folding knife with them?

I guess the weird thing is that I don't even know how to ask the question. To me it is like carrying a pen, no one is surprised when you have one, but people are happy when you do.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
emmline

Post by emmline »

My husband has one on his keys. He has no use for the keys, but does use the pocket knife occasionally for boxes and whatnot. It's a tiny one--part of one of those little folding pliers/multitool thingies.
We donated one once, to the security guy at BWI airport, because I forgot to remind him not to bring his keys.

I have a large version of a similar SOG tool in my car glove compartment (as well as a multibit screwdriver and tape measure in the trunk.)

The only tool I carry is a small compass in the backpack which serves as my purse. This is because I have no sense of direction and sometimes I'll find myself, for example, looking at a street map of NYC but having no sense of bearings. So, (if I can't see a river) I can look at the compass and save myself having to walk the wrong direction while counting street numbers.
My kids can't believe me.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Oh, absolutely.

A solid stainless Master Cutlery lockback with a 2 1/4 inch blade. (They're cheap at Ace Hardware, tackle shops, etc.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I used to always carry a small swiss army knife (the one with scissors, tweezers, toothpick, and a nail file/screwdriver...it's about 1.5" long), but having to fly several times a year for work after 9/11 and because I can't take any knife into my workplace now (I'm a federal worker) my wife bought me a swiss army knifeless (exactly the same as a small swiss army knife but with a glasses screwdriver instead of the one knife blade).

The swiss army knifeless always gets looks at the airport and federal buildings, but it always passes. Ironically, the screwdriver works as well as a knifeblade opening taped boxes.

Eric
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I was given my first pocketknife when I was five years old; I've carried one on-and-off since.

I have a Gerber tool with two knife blades that are wickedly sharp; a very handy gadget. When I used to be a hardware technician, it came to my rescue time and time again.

When I carry a knife--not a multitool--I have a Buck lockblade with a wonderfully light polymer body which is very flat and doesn't wear holes in my pocket.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

After almost cutting my thumb off while carving my Cub Scout Pinewood Derby Car, my next experience with a pocket knife was when my Father-in-law gave me one. I used to have the Swiss Army Knife on my keychain. When that broke, I recognized that I only ever really needed the scissors. I keep pocket knives and Leatherman tools in places that I need them but I rarely carry a pocket knife these days.

I recently found in my music backpack a rather glamourous pocket knife that I'm considering taking to work for my letter opener but something tells me there are rules against this kind of stuff. I might even keep it in my laptop bag.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

I was talking about this very thing to a friend recently.

Though I don't carry a pocket knife, my father did as long as I recall (he died in '82). I, too, have several Swiss Army knives or Leatherman knives in strategic places, just not in my pocket.

When I was a kid, we visited relatives in rural Missouri, and my uncle would always give me a pocket knife. He wore "Tuff Nut" overalls and evidently they came with a knife in their pocket (imagine that today!) and he would pass them along.

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
djm

Post by djm »

I always used to carry a pocketknife on my keychain. Even after 9/11 I had no problems flying in and out of the US with it. They were far more concerned that I tended to accunulate several Bic lighters all the time, and determined that two was quite enough for one person. It wasn't until I was leaving Montreal airport that a woman in Security took my knife, telling me I could mail it home to myself (how I was supposed to do this in an airport with my flight boarding still puzzles me somewhat).
rhulsey wrote:He wore "Tuff Nut" overalls and evidently they came with a knife in their pocket (imagine that today!)
Michigan banks give away free rifles when you open an account with them. A free pocket knife seems pretty tame in comparison.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwest

Post by dwest »

All the time. A Victorinox Huntsman, great cork screw, wood saw, scissors. I sharpen the blades frequently. On my canoeing PFD vest I keep a Gerber rescue knife. I use to keep a Buck folding knife on my belt.
Makar

Post by Makar »

I carry a rather nice Shing folder in a horizontal pouch made for it. They are arguably the best there is... a real Rolls Royce (chunky and classy construction) of an EDC but still legal carry in the UK. Not keen on the more aggresive looking styles of knife you commonly get today like the spyderco ones - great knives right enough. I have a nice wee yellow delrin handled 'country cousin' folder too - it is at the other end of the price range but still good - I tend to be more slap dash with it.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I used to carry a small two blade Buck, then when my father died I started carrying his slender lockblade. I went to the airport with it once and realized I had to surrender it, which I would never do, so I gave it to an Avis worker and begged her to keep it safe for me. When I got back she had it and gave it to me. I almost never carry it anymore.
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

Skeletool for me.

Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Other.
My leatherman does not leave my side. And the RJ45 crimper is seldom far away too.

(Oh flyers... you can carry your knives in your checked bags; just not in the carry-on.)
Last edited by Coffee on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Everyone in my family carries one, from about the age of 12, except me, because I can't remember where I put it down the last time. (story of my life)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

I was a Federal employee 30+ years. I never carried anything on my person that I couldn't take in to work.
(A couple times I saw fellow employees walking back to their car to put their gun away because they'd forgotten it was still in their purse. I didn't have that luxury. I took the train to work.)

The only person in my family who always carries a blade is my son-in-law. He's a carpenter and he's never without a massive pop out mat knife sort of thing.

After reading some of the postings here I thought about getting him a nice pocket knife as a gift this coming holiday season,
but then I remembered the old tradition that a gift of a knife is said to cut off a relationship.