I guess it's time to tell you...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

I guess it's time to tell you...

Post by Flyingcursor »

Three weeks ago my Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer.
He had to have a "PET" scan and other tests to determine if he would be able to have surgery or have to endure the travesty of chemo. So far it looks like the surgery will work but he still has to see the surgeon on Monday (11/10). One drawback is the fact that he has suffered from anemia for several years and nobody has been able to figure out why. I'm concerned the surgeon will deny the surgery due to the anemia, in spite of the fact he's O+ and a transfusion would eliminate the problem.
I'm going with him to the doctor's office Monday to make sure there are no stones left unturned.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Dreadful news for you to receive. I hope for the very best outcome for your dad--good luck to you too as you head into this struggle. Best thoughts winging your way.

Susan
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

That's a hard blow...I'm sure sorry that happened.

Most communities have support groups for the friends and family of cancer patients. These can be a great resource and usually have a wealth of information available for the asking; if interested, check with your doc for contact information.

Warm healing thoughts to him, and you to.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
missy

Post by missy »

Rick - if you need ANYTHING, you know where to call........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Oh goodness, Flydood...I am so very sorry! You and your dad will be in my continued thoughts and prayers.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Bad news, Flydood. Good luck on Monday.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

All the best, Fly. But you know that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thanks folks. I'm about to grab a big mug of coffee and head out into the woods. I'll suppmement the coffee with booze. I'll build a big fire and play my harmonicas and think about my dad and get good and drunk.

There's a spot about a half mile walk into the woods from here that I've always considered my spot. An unexplained hole in the ground where I used to have big fires and where I used to go for deep thought. I'll dress warm and maybe stay the night right there. I'm going to think about all the cool things I can tell you about my dad and how he's shaped (or tried to shape) my life.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I'm sorry to hear that news, but will tell you that I have a friend who's dad has survived lung cancer for many years now. It's scary and a hard road. Know that we are all sending you and your family good wishes..
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I wish you and your dad the best of luck, and and may the medical staff be on top of their skills in everything he has to have done. Lung cancer can be beat.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I lost both of my parents to Cancer. It ain't gonna be easy for ye Fly and ye have my deepest sympathy.

Hang in there Bro and be strong.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

Hi Fly--I am currently in a position to understand very well how it is to have one's dad teetering on the brink.
Mine, who's had Parkinson's for a few year, fell and gave himself a subdural hematoma last month. Following emergency surgery, he's presently doing PT, OT, and Speech T at a rehab facility, in the hopes that he can live at home again. But the mental with-it-ness could clearly never be back to a "good" baseline again.
My mom's knocking herself out. Bleh. Life can be rough.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

We could be related. Everyone in my family gets cancer. My Dad is the first person in my family to survive cancer, and quite well at that. You and your family will be in my prayers that you are so lucky too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

My sympathies. My mom just had surgery for lung cancer on October 2. They have such amazing technology for surgery now - my mom had her upper right lobe removed and her incision is about 4 inches long. She was out of the hospital in a week, and is now back to her normal routine. With the less invasive surgeries, hopefully surgery can still be an option for your dad even with the anemia.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Getting the ol' rosary out for your da.
Hoping for the best.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."