Budweiser American Ale

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Budweiser American Ale

Post by ubizmo »

A new ale from Anheuser-Busch. I don't usually buy or drink anything they make, due to their infamous trademark litigation--the longest-running lawsuit in history. But in the interest of keeping an open mind, I bought some of their new product, "American Ale."

My verdict: It's just as disappointing as their Michelob "Amber Bock." It's fairly malty, and needs more hops for balance, and probably not the Cascade hops that they use. On the plus side, the label doesn't mention the use of any adjunct grains, so that puts it a rung above their regular Budweiser in terms of purity.

There are plenty of fine micro-brew ales in the US, and a few nationally distributed first-rate ales. Samuel Adams brewery does a nice "Boston Ale" and a fine pale ale too. Sierra Nevada pale ale is excellent. So we yanks needn't feel embarrassed at what's available here, in comparison with what they have in the UK. But Budweiser American Ale is still pretty embarrassing. Since the micro revolution, the bar (nyuk, nyuk) has been raised, and Anheuser-Busch's latest entry just doesn't make it.

I give it a C.

Hmmm....is this grade inflation?

I guess 'C' means you Can drink it. Just don't hope for something comoparable to a Morland Old Speckled Hen, or a Shepherd Naeme Spitfire or a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Budweiser American Ale

Post by CHasR »

ubizmo wrote: Just don't hope for something comoparable to a Morland Old Speckled Hen, or a Shepherd Naeme Spitfire or a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
& you're in philly??

one word: Yuengling!! :wink:

(yo: your sidewalk looks like university city....waaay too clean for tacony)
ps: the dark horse is runnning out of loch na gar...
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I went out and bought a six pack today because I'd been curious since I heard it was coming out. Should we consider it a foreign beer now? :wink:

I thought it was OK, but not great. Had a tinny taste to me...I probably won't buy it again, but if I'm in a bar with only Bud products would choose it above anything else they put out.

Eric
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

'Course ya could always try your hand at homebrewing...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
ubizmo

Re: Budweiser American Ale

Post by ubizmo »

CHasR wrote:
ubizmo wrote: Just don't hope for something comoparable to a Morland Old Speckled Hen, or a Shepherd Naeme Spitfire or a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
& you're in philly??

one word: Yuengling!! :wink:

(yo: your sidewalk looks like university city....waaay too clean for tacony)
ps: the dark horse is runnning out of loch na gar...
Yuengling traditional lager is one of the best regional beers I know about, but their Chesterfield Ale isn't so special.

Cofaidh: As for homebrewing, I was an avid practitioner for years, but I eventually got lazy, especially as better and better domestic beers became available. But I can say for sure that my brews were mostly better than Budweiser American Ale.
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

As i see it...Budweiser and the other beer big-shots are only helping the craft brewing industry. They brew a new beer (like a bock, ale, pale ale, weizen, whathaveyou) and people try it for the sake of brand loyalty. They decide it's pretty good and switch over from one of those "light" things. They go into a bar and see a new beer from a craft brewery and it happens to be an ale(or whatever) and say, "hey, I liked that Budweiser Ale, maybe I'll like this" and BOOM the gates have opened. They've discovered the world of craft beer because their "old standard" opened their eyes to something new.

Maybe I'm wrong but, that's my take on it.

P.S. I was not impressed with the beer...I concur with the "C" rating. Though I do applaud Bud for making a beer without using rice!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Jayhawk wrote:I went out and bought a six pack today
Does this make you a Jay six pack?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Martin,

don't make me slap you around! :lol:

I must be quiet or else an important beer thread will end up in the proctology forum...

Eric
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Jayhawk wrote:
I must be quiet or else an important beer thread will end up in the proctology forum...

Eric
... one wonders what THAT would taste like... *shudders*...
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:

Eric
... one wonders what THAT would taste like... *shudders*...
Buttweiser?
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I'm actually drinking a Yuengling right now. I think I had one once a long time ago, but not positive. It's nice, a little bit light than I was expecting, though.
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

Yuengling traditional lager is still a lager, after all, but it's got more body than 99% of American lagers. I don't think it's as good as Sam Adams Boston Lager, but it doesn't cost as much either.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Thomaston wrote:I'm actually drinking a Yuengling right now.
I would have to vomit, at 7:21 am, trying to have a beer. Thomaston, you should have your liver bronzed. Im impressed. :lol:
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

CHasR wrote:
Thomaston wrote:I'm actually drinking a Yuengling right now.
I would have to vomit, at 7:21 am, trying to have a beer. Thomaston, you should have your liver bronzed. Im impressed. :lol:
I work night shift. I had just gotten off a long 14 hour shift and was winding down for a day of sleep when I posted. :)
I always tend to buy my beer early in the morning, and get funny looks. :lol:
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm working through a 20 pack of the Michelob micro brews.
I emailed Michelob, and they ARE all malt beers. I've really been enjoying them. They might not be the best of their types, but they are very drinkable and the price is right: I think I paid about $17 for the 20 beer sampler.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!