504 GATEWAY ERROR.TIMED OUT.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

azw wrote:If it happens again, I'll try restarting Firefox. Does that seem to work?
I've only tried it once. It worked.
I'm waiting for it to start happening again....

Not much of a test sample.

I'd been having issues with it on this computer and I switched to a different computer that behaved. I went back to this one, it continued so I restarted Firefox and it worked.
Tikva

Post by Tikva »

azw wrote:
MagicSailor wrote:I get it at home (on the boat) with Firefox. I'll have to check which version when I get home, but it's set to auto-update so it should be the latest. I don't get it on the office computer which is running Firefox 3.03.Owen
I had to manually upgrade to Firefox 3 from 2, so it's worth checking. That said, I doubt that will make a difference with this problem. I'm seeing the gateway problem again now!

The odd thing is that I can often submit a message but don't see that it's submitted until I go back and check later.
I have not updated my version of Firefox, yet.
But I do not only get that infamous error message, but also blank pages. Interestingly enough, both phenomena occur mostly when posting longer messages. The messages get posted nonetheless.
azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by azw »

It would help to have a word from the admins about what they're doing. That might give us an idea of how to deal around the problem.
Art Zoller Wagner
Cork

Post by Cork »

@ azw

I'm no computer expert, but I'm inclined to agree with others that the matter could come down to being server related.

Part of it might be related to the volume of traffic the server could have, at times more and at times less, the server being host to perhaps numerous URLs.

Having a server dedicated to just the C&F URL might be a solution, but unfortunately that could all too easily be expensive, very expensive.

As my opinion, therefore, I'm simply going to accept that there could be some occasional lumps in the gravy, so to speak, no big deal.

Then again, if life were entirely predictable, it might even get boring, and on that basis maybe C&F could be doing us all a favor!

;-)
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

azw wrote:It would help to have a word from the admins about what they're doing. That might give us an idea of how to deal around the problem.
Well, I did try before. :-)

Folks, this is a server problem. I has to do with the way the new server collocation has been implemented after the Chiffboard was moved from the old hosting service at the end of August. I know this from my discussions with our Webmaster Rich. If has nothing whatever to do with what browser or browser version you're using. I'm 90% sure of that. But I won't give a definitive explanation here, because I'm not the one who's qualified to do that. The problem seems random, because it is effectively random.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

random?

really
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

http://wasd.vsm.com.au/httpd/-/status5xx.html#504
504 Gateway Timeout

The server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, did not receive a timely response from the upstream server specified by the URI (e.g. HTTP, FTP, LDAP) or some other auxiliary server (e.g. DNS) it needed to access in attempting to complete the request.
If you google "504 Gateway Timeout" or "5xx - Server Error" you can read up on what is going on.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

right.....blame it on the upstream server....fine :twisted:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Works for me in ping-pong.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

that whole internet thing is a lot like ping-pong, innit!
djm

Post by djm »

Only it's more like gnip-gnop.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi
MTGuru wrote:If has nothing whatever to do with what browser or browser version you're using. I'm 90% sure of that.
So that's why it works every time with IE and hasn't worked with Firefox for a couple of weeks.

Owen
azw

Post by azw »

[edited]

Hmmm. Looks like I've encountered the double post problem. The one below will be better, I promise.
Last edited by azw on Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Zoller Wagner
azw

Post by azw »

Thanks for the additional update, MTGuru.

If it is a server problem, isn't that something the host should fix? If they can't, there's often a 30-day guarantee or something similar. At least I've seen that for the hosting accounts I've had. I'd be seriously thinking of moving to a new host.

Let me know if you want a recommendation of a good host. I've got one that's been very responsive to my requests and the service is very stable.
Art Zoller Wagner
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

MagicSailor wrote:
MTGuru wrote:If has nothing whatever to do with what browser or browser version you're using. I'm 90% sure of that.
So that's why it works every time with IE and hasn't worked with Firefox for a couple of weeks.
Sarcasm is not helpful, Owen. I'm doing my best to address this issue in the absence of our webmaster.

It's possible that timing differences in the speed and behavior of your particular browser on your particular computer, the speed of your CPU, the speed and latency and routing of your particular internet connection may lead to differences in how the board behaves for you. It does not change the fact that the problem is server based.

If there's a problem in, for example, the way that different browsers may handle the HTTP headers being served up by the minnow server - that's part of the 10% I'm not sure about. And none of this is my area of expertise. Sorry.
azw wrote:Thanks for the additional update, MTGuru.
You're welcome, Art. Check your PMs.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.