504 GATEWAY ERROR.TIMED OUT.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

It looks like I picked a good few days to go on vacation and away from the internet -except for the lousy weather and no fish bitin' :evil:

Sorry yer bike throwed ye D. You'll be alright. :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
azw

Post by azw »

I'm still having problems, although instead of the 502 Bad Gateway errors I got last week, now I just get a blank page. This happens with Firefox nearly every try. I've had to use Internet Explorer to get into the forums.
Art Zoller Wagner
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

azw wrote:I'm still having problems, although instead of the 502 Bad Gateway errors I got last week, now I just get a blank page. This happens with Firefox nearly every try. I've had to use Internet Explorer to get into the forums.
I've had the same experience. When I have problems, the forums work with IE, but not with Firefox.

Owen
azw

Post by azw »

I suppose it could be a bug in a recent Firefox update, but there's no problem with another phpBB2 forum I use regularly.
Art Zoller Wagner
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but when I was having this problem I was using IE. It's been fine lately. (shhhh - I don't want to jinx it!)
Charlene
azw

Post by azw »

Hi, Charlene,

It sounds like there have been several attempts to fix server problems at Chiffboard.mati.ca. From what I've noticed, there have also been different behaviors over time, so I don't think we're looking at just one thing.

I don't doubt that there was a problem before with IE. Now, however, there is probably a current setting that is doesn't work with Firefox. Of course, it could be a browser problem in addition. That's especially likely given that I'm not seeing this current problem with IE, Netscape, or Opera.
Art Zoller Wagner
Cork

Post by Cork »

As an effort to contribute some perhaps useful user feedback, I've noticed a certain consistency to the occasional troubles of the C&F board. In particular, the troubles I have noticed generally tend to occur far more often during the wee hours of the night, and far less often during daytime hours.

I hope that helps.

:-)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Cork wrote:As an effort to contribute some perhaps useful user feedback, I've noticed a certain consistency to the occasional troubles of the C&F board. In particular, the troubles I have noticed generally tend to occur far more often during the wee hours of the night, and far less often during daytime hours.
It would probably help more if people knew what time zone you were in :)
azw

Post by azw »

I'm now getting 502 Bad Gateway errors again. Maybe someone's working on it. If so, thanks!

In regard to Cork's comment, I wonder if the wee hours of the night are when the server is being worked on?
Art Zoller Wagner
Cork

Post by Cork »

fearfaoin wrote:
Cork wrote:As an effort to contribute some perhaps useful user feedback, I've noticed a certain consistency to the occasional troubles of the C&F board. In particular, the troubles I have noticed generally tend to occur far more often during the wee hours of the night, and far less often during daytime hours.
It would probably help more if people knew what time zone you were in :)
You're right, and I'd thought about that missing detail after I'd posted.

So, I'm currently in EDT, currently at UTC/GMT +4 hours.
Cork

Post by Cork »

azw wrote:...In regard to Cork's comment, I wonder if the wee hours of the night are when the server is being worked on?
That's what I've been wondering, although that's just a guess.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Cork wrote:So, I'm currently in EDT, currently at UTC/GMT +4 hours.
That would be -4 hours. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cork

Post by Cork »

MTGuru wrote:
Cork wrote:So, I'm currently in EDT, currently at UTC/GMT +4 hours.
That would be -4 hours. :wink:
Oops! You're right. At midnight here it's 4 AM over there, at least until the end of daylight savings time.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Keeping in mind that I have no idea what I'm really talking about ...

Our beloved minnow shares front-end bandwidth and back-end load (database, etc.) with a number of other websites. So it's possible that activity on these other sites may affect Chiffboard behavior in what seems like random fashion, depending on how load-balancing is implemented. The 504 Error probably means that some Chiffboard data requests are timing out from the back-end, and the problem disappears when the back-end frees up or is reset.

Now I expect Rich to jump in and confirm the truth of my opening statement. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
azw

Post by azw »

An update.

I've upgraded my Firefox program (from 2.something to the newest version, 3.0.3) to see if that helped. Nope.

What's odd is that when I first open Firefox, a cached C&F page appears just fine. But as soon as I refresh it or click on a link, it goes blank. (I don't get the 502 error now.)

MTGuru, I don't think it's an issue with the server being busy on the back or front end. With Firefox I just don't get anything. Ever. I think it's got to be a setting on the server. Our new host should be able help us figure it out.

Whatever, I sure hope someone is working on this.
Art Zoller Wagner