Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Devondancer update

Post by Berti66 »

wow lesley, you here already!!! that's a good sign! happy about that...keep going!

ok people, how about putting a bet in, for when lesley will pick up the whistles again ;)
berti
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

2 weeks before she's supposed to?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ambaiste

Post by ambaiste »

I don't think she will be able to resist that long. I'd say maximum 1 week before she should.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

ok I will aim at 5 days.......... hehe

berti
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I'm betting she already has.
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

And the winner is ...

Avanutria!!!! :party:

It is amazing what you can do with one good hand and a few fingers! Luckily the left arm is the out of commission one, and that is the lower whistle hand. By contorting my neck I managed to play (silently) ..... Eleanor Plunkett! And then I dropped the *&* thing!

Lesley
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: That really blows! :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Lesley, it is wonderful to see you back here, typing and playing whistle one-handed.

So, what IS the sound of one hand whistling?? :D

Sarah from Fairbanks
where it's still seasonally appropriate to play "Cold Frosty Morning", but I need to compose "Warm Slushy Afternoon" to follow it. The sunshine is lovely!
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

So, what IS the sound of one hand whistling??
The Apprentice approached the Master and bowed.

"Master," he said, "I have been contemplating the sound of one hand clapping as you instructed. I am deeply ashamed to report that I cannot imagine what it would possibly sound like."

The Master nodded and smiled. "So, would you like me to tell you the answer?"

The Apprentice nodded.

The Master motioned him closer....and closer...and closer......

...wait for it....

And then the Master lifted one hand, slapped the Apprentice hard on the face, and smiled in a satisfied way. "Now you know."

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

You sure sound full of youself. I hope that means your arm is healing nicely.
白飞梦
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Go Lesley! :thumbsup: :party: :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Hello. It is so nice to have you all here! Ro has been going home to sleep for the last few nights, so it is good to have friends around!

I am doing really well now. The shoulder surgery has apparently been a success, although I can't tell yet as I am immobilised! It hurts less than it did, which is great. Yesterday I was allowed out of bed for the first time, although they are still watching me far too closely! "Our" heart is happy now, although it wobbled a bit immediately after surgery, which terrified everyone except me, who was happily unconscious!

Some of my wires and tubes have been removed and I ate for the first time yesterday, rather a meagre meal, I thought, but still food! Stupid Stick was not invited to this party although Elbow Crutch is here, and is being helpful. Just imagine the pairing of Stupid Stick and Totally Dead Arm! I would have had no chance! EC and I will do some more walking practice today, if we are allowed.

Whistling is interesting, so far. I lost my muted whistle while I was in the Cambridge hospital - someone pinched it to shut me up, I think - but I have others! I just have to remember not to blow, so I sing the tune in my head. Now that the nerve block has worn off I am supposed to use the fingers of my left hand, and what better exercise than whistling? Most of the support is done with my right hand, but I can get those fingers onto the whistle and then I'm away! I have asked Ro to bring my low D today, as that might be easier to reach without becoming a contortionist!

Thank you all so much. You always give me something to laugh at, and I get a bit fed up occasionally, so I really appreciate it. Roll on the day I can go home!

Lesley
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Lesley, here's a quiet-whistling trick that you may not have tried. Put your lower lip against the spot that you normally blow into, and blow gently across the fipple opening. It makes a quiet hollow sound but all the notes of the first octave (and sometimes second octave D) can be clearly heard on many whistles.

(I used to live in a crowded university apartment with several non-whistlers!)

Your left hand is the lower whistle hand? For me that's my right hand.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

:oops:
AHA! No wonder I was having so much trouble!!! My left hand is NOT the lower hand! Oh dear; a few more brain cells gone! :lol:

I have tried again and it is much easier to play the tune with one's hands the right way up! I thought it was just awkward, as in hard to move! No; awkward as in UPSIDE DOWN!

Thank you, Beth!

However, it is much harder to get my left hand up there! There was method in my madness. My neck is now at an impossible angle!

I shall just be the only person who can play ambidextrously, with either hand at the top!

What a twit.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

How nice things are going well for you. I think I can risk devoting a small fraction of your healing prayers to that person who pinched your whistle. I will pray that they or someone else come to learn to play that whistle and use it for good to overcome their most selfish actions.
白飞梦