Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Silvano
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Silvano »

djm wrote:This is all too upsetting. I'm afraid I can't take much more of this. I say we take a vote on it and let Lesley know it's time to stop messing about and just get better, already.
djm
devondancer wrote:She is doing well, dj. You can relax. Everyone is pleased with her, she is wide awake, virtually painfree and quite talkative! I will of course give her your message and I'm sure she will be pleased to comply!
Ro
This story and specially the origin of all this is really upsetting, that I do not find the right words. I am consoled Lesly is doing well and I hope the progress will be fast.

All the best to you both

Silvano
--- A whistle a day keeps bad thoughts away ---
devondancer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Lesley woke earlier, having fought off the ventilator quickly, as usual. She knew me at once, was not in much pain and was fairly cheerful. Her surgeon is happy with her progress, but is staying another night just in case. I cannot begin to thank him - he just says he loves her too!

I stayed until she slept again and am going back soon, to be with her for the evening. I hope she will be safe to leave, tonight! She is quite happy, having heard lullabies, this time! She has stood the surgery astonishingly well - the new heart is worth its weight in gold, for that is what has made all the difference.

We do not know yet how much Lesley's movement may have been affected. She has not moved yet, but pain and exhaustion also have their own effects. We may know more tomorrow. Tonight, it is enough that she is still here with me, still herself and free from that terrible pain. She is tough and brave and will cope with whatever she has to.

Thank you for helping me through yet another long dark night. Your kindness and good wishes make all the difference between strength and despair, for me - I cannot panic for long with all of you behind me. We are both so grateful.

Ro
lalit

Post by lalit »

The lovely sunshine will be so much lovlier today, in the knowledge that Lesley is doing better. The blue sky, the golden leaves, the fresh air will bring serenity and joy. What a heart!

Thank you for so diligently updating us. Don't forget to rest, eat, and take good care. (Sounds like the surgeon should do likewise, too. :) )
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Good news is nice. Keep it up.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
fruladog

Post by fruladog »

Roland and Leslie,

I've stayed clear of this thread until recently; in a way, it hit too close to home. Our 90 year old mom is in an assisted-living facility and she's having one mini-stroke after another. Every time she fights back, but she is becoming so discouraged. After her 90th birthday party last Saturday, I read her this thread, all 50+ pages. It brought tears to her eyes, but it gave her the strength to fight back yet one more time. She and I send our prayers and thoughts to you. May you find health and happiness, one day at a time.

Don (and Boyann)
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Give her a smooch for us all Ro. Well, on second thought, maybe just for a few of us. We don't want her getting all wrinkled. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

I have just phoned to see how Lesley is. She has had a very good night and has sat herself up this morning! She can move! (She wasn't supposed to do that, of course, as she is attached to various things again, but - she did!) I shall be going over shortly and will give her all your good wishes. She has never recovered this fast before - dj, your orders have worked! (Why didn't you tell her before? She obviously listens to you!)
And her surgeon is happy with her and is going home, with our very grateful thanks. Lesley trusts him implicitly and he seems like an old friend now - we have been in such close contact over the last 5 months!
Thank you all.
Ro
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

devondancer wrote:She has never recovered this fast before ... .
Lovely news.

Methinks a strong heart does come in handy.

Best wishes,
Jerry
djm

Post by djm »

I think a YouTube vid of Lesley dancing would be appropriate at this time. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D yes!

We are defiantly ready for pictures and sound clips!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
"
"
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Pictures? Soundclips? Hmm - need a video camera for that, I believe! And I don't think Lesley would thank you for the publicity at present, as she does not yet look her best! Give her time! When she is well enough to feel presentable I will try to take some ordinary photos of her (and no doubt she will reciprocate - I can't see me getting away with it otherwise!) so that you can see the person who has caused all this stress! She owes you that, and all our photos just have one of us in a corner - you know the sort: this is the view from the highest, most inaccesible tor on Dartmoor (Lesley in corner for scale!)

Amazingly, scarily, she has been moved out of ICU already and is in HDU - again. There is even a possibility that she may come home tomorrow, as the supervision is so good! I shall never cease to be thankful for her heart - this is the sort of recovery she should have been able to make from the beginning!

As you will now guess, she is doing really well. Up in a chair and walking to the loo! Complete with stick and her usual wobbles, but walking! I am so proud of her I could burst. I knew she was tough, but so tough! She just wants to come home again and get back to normal now, really wants to go properly home, too. I think she has just had enough now - too much hospital, too many operations, too much pain. She wants to go home. I will not let her do that until her physiotherapy is well organised, and until we no longer need help in a hurry, as the other night. But I know how she feels. It has been an awful few months, and we both now need to recover on our own. We will be sensible, though.

I am sorting out slowly how we go about suing her nursing home. I know she will not want that, but I need it. Also, she has lost so much money, as they have not paid her for the time she has been ill. Statutory sick pay (government, very basic) only. And seeing her in agony yet again the other night, I need to do this. No one should be allowed to cause this sort of suffering and get away with it. I do not blame the old lady but the system which allowed it to happen, the "money before all other considerations" way that it is run. Otherwise I think you are right and I will never really let go of my fury at how she has suffered. So, solicitor, here I come!

Thank you again for your strength when I need it, your humour and all your kindness. I am so pleased to be able to give you good news again. (Relax, dj, relax.)

Ro
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, Roland, I didn't mean to sound so emphatic. It really doesn't have to be a vid of Lesley dancing. Any vid of chocolate-covered dancing girls will do.

Honest! :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

devondancer wrote:(Relax, dj, relax.)
bit like telling Lesley to sit quietly, innit.....

good to hear she's up and about again :D
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Chocolate covered? :boggle:

Wouldn't it melt?

Aah - I see. :twisted: