What are differences between the good and bad debt?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Good debt has one more letter in it that bad debt.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Yes, I understand that the question is spam, but, regardless, answering the question, I think that a debt you assume to buy essential commodities, such as a car, tools for your work, or a house to live in is good debt, given that the interest rate is not extravegant and the borrower has the means to pay back the loan. Without borrowing the money you could not otherwise afford to buy these commodites that you need to live. For example, you need tools to do your job in order for you to earn money. You can't wait until you have money to buy the tools.

Bad debt is debt assumed for non-essential items, where the debt puts the borrower in a financial precarious position. Wasting needed income on unnecessary interest payments and financial insolvency due to the overwhelming debt burden are two results of bad debt.
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Last edited by rh on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

rh wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: This is probably gonna end up deleted with prejudice, folks. Looks like there's a class of 'bot out there I never though would happen soon. Guess we have to wake up and smell the spam.
i saw this type of no-link spam quite a bit on a forum i moderated. i'm not sure what to make of it, though it could be that it hides any links from general view but the web-crawlers are able to see them. or maybe not.
This will be a matter for the Geek Oracle. Or somebody like that.

Oh, dear. I misspelled "thought".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Nanohedron wrote: Guess we have to wake up and smell the spam.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

rh wrote:i'm not sure what to make of it, though it could be that it hides any links from general view but the web-crawlers are able to see them. or maybe not.
Nope, no hidden or deleted links. What you see is what it is, in all its Zen-like splendor. The poster (or posting computer) is in Indonesia.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

This looks good:

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Next time you're in the tuna aisle, look for the pouches containing a single slice of Spam.

What kind of person would think up something like that????
Cotelette d'Agneau
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

It's probably cheaper to just buy a whole can of Spam and throw away what you don't eat.

To answer the question:
Good Debt: When your wife loses a wager to you.
Good Debt: When you get 0% financing from a car dealer and then through an oversight on their part, you get a really good deal. And the salesman still has to send us a Christmas Card every year. Ho Ho Ho.
Bad Debt: All my other debts.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
djm

Post by djm »

I'm sure each country has various income tax rules, so not everything applies or makes sense to others, but here, I can borrow money to invest, and deduct the interest paid on that loan from income tax. A really popular option is to buy up junk realestate, crumbling wrecks you'd never be able to use or rent, and deduct the property taxes from your income tax as business losses. There are lots of gov't sponsored investment schemes, as well, that have tax advantages. These are all what I would term "good debt" in that they are all investments, even thought on the surface they look like debts.

djm
Last edited by djm on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Debt is not good. Period.

Spend $10 on something to keep from sending $3 to the IRS?
Or to make it worse, Borrow $10, and make payments plus interest on that amount, to keep from sending the IRS $3?

Nah. I'd rather save the $10, pay the $3 tax and do what I want, with the $7 left over. I can do what I want with that $7 since I don't owe it to someone else. :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
citicredit.asia

Post by citicredit.asia »

Debt in and of itself is not a bad thing. Both of us were able to start our own business because of debt; Steve began his own law practice, and Azriela began her own entrepreneurial consulting business. So we understand what debt is and why some debt is great debt.
Debt that helps you, enriches your life, is manageable, and is not a burden can be called good debt. For example, student loans are good debt if they enabled you to get through school and further your life goals. They are bad debt if you dropped out of medical school after one year to become a writer. A good debt helps; a bad debt hinders.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Fascinating. This time I did remove the links. Posted from the same IP in Indonesia.

Nano, care to zap the links in the siggy / profile?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

cowtime wrote:Debt is not good. Period.

Spend $10 on something to keep from sending $3 to the IRS?
Or to make it worse, Borrow $10, and make payments plus interest on that amount, to keep from sending the IRS $3?

Nah. I'd rather save the $10, pay the $3 tax and do what I want, with the $7 left over. I can do what I want with that $7 since I don't owe it to someone else. :)
Amen. Been in debt. Paid off the debt. Am much happier (and more secure!) without the debt.

When you owe money to someone else, regardless of the short term benefits, in the long run, you still OWE that money (plus interest). If the proverbial sh*t hits the fan and you have a major financial tragedy in your life, you still owe the money (and the interest). If the economy takes a major downturn, you still owe the money (and the interest).

Sometimes debt may be unavoidable. I had to borrow money to go to college...that was a fact of life. It didn't make the debt "good." It would have been much better if I'd been able to attend college without borrowing. And it was wonderful when that debt was finally discharged. Sometimes people have to borrow to obtain the tools they need to work. That's not "good debt," it's (sadly, in the times in which we live) "unavoidable debt." Or, as I said, "all debt is bad, but some debt is badder than others."

I can't begin to describe the relief that comes from knowing you owe nothing (financially) to anybody. We're three years now living entirely within our means, and owing nothing, and I wouldn't begin to trade.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Good debt: I spend, you pay.
Bad bebt: I spend, I pay.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis