keeping to-do lists, planners, etc

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

keeping to-do lists, planners, etc

Post by Jack »

Do you keep a personal to-do list or a daily planner of some sort?

For the past five years I have kept to-do lists and I don't know what life would be like without them. I'm curious if anybody else regularly uses them to keep their affairs in order?

Peace,
Jack
missy

Post by missy »

I kept a Franklin planner "religiously" for years, and also taught my older son how to use one.

But when our company insisted we have to keep our calendard on line, I went with what we were given (was Lotus Notes, now Outlook). I download the calendar to my cell phone (and vice versa). I didn't go with a Palm, and so far haven't been forced to go to a Blackberry ( I really don't want to be THAT connected to work).

I tried getting my younger son to also use a Franklin Planner - didn't work. We tried voice recorders - he lost it. In fact, everything we've tried works for a short time, then once the "newness" wears off, he loose interest in doing it.

So, basically, I'm his "calendar". I have NO idea what he's going to do when he goes to college.......
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My "Calendar" is the End Pages of my A4 Week-to-View Diary, which I keep for work. I mark in which days I'm on support, which days I'm visiting which customers, which days I'm on leave, and dentist's appointments and the like. In theory, it also exists on work's network, on the outlook calendar. But the REAL one is in my diary.

There is also a word document on my desktop called "Things to do". I look at it about every two weeks and clear off the stuff that's done, which is usually most of it.

There is also a calendar on the kitchen door at home, which contains who is going where, meaning "who has the car" and also "who's minding the kids and cats".
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Once a year, around tax preparation time, I makes vows and stuff. It lasts about a week or two.

Otherwise, no.
dwest

Post by dwest »

I use the monitorpost'emnote hardware system by 3M/Dell. Works great except one of the pups likes to eat paper especially if I have handled it.
emmline

Post by emmline »

My phone is a Palm Centro. It also keeps my calendar (which I coordinate with the one on the kitchen wall,) keeps my budget organized, lets me set alarmed reminders for myself, jot down notes, keep lists, look up words, text my children, and play Scrabble.

I also use post-it notes, and do a lot of organizing on legal pads.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I thought about switching all my to-do lists to something electronic, but even though I use the computer all the time I really like my current system of planner/to-do-list hybrids I made. Whenever I fall behind a couple days and don't keep up with it, I feel like I'm going mad with Alzheimer's--I can't remember anything (sometimes I even get the days of the week mixed up)! :boggle:
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I write some events on a wall calendar. I make packing lists when I go on trips. Daily lists, not so much. I tend to have a similar routine so don't need one. Sometimes I have kept daily lists in the past, but only when I had a lot on my plate. I prefer paper over the computer for lists.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I keep ONE calendar. It's my work calendar in Novell GroupWise. I keep a to do list when things get overwhelming. I have a few rules of thumb to keep me on top of things. My favorite rule that I learned in one of those seminars is:
Touch a piece of paper once.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jack

Post by Jack »

mutepointe wrote:I keep ONE calendar. It's my work calendar in Novell GroupWise. I keep a to do list when things get overwhelming. I have a few rules of thumb to keep me on top of things. My favorite rule that I learned in one of those seminars is:
What does this mean?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Once you take the time to open a memo, e mail, letter, request for information, you have to deal with it to completion right then. If you save it for later, you end up with piles of papers on your desk that "you're saving for later."

Of course this doesn't work for all correspondence and all days. Emergencies do pop up and there are some things that just take time to complete but it works with 95% of paper. It's OK to stick a bill in an envelope until bill paying day. In my book that counts as once. But it's not OK to put a bill in a big pile of stuff to do and then sort that pile of stuff every day picking and choosing what you want to do.

Sometimes I do a thing I call excavating. I start with the top piece of paper on my desk and work my way down to the bottom til everything is nice and neat and then I dust my desk. Sometimes all that needs done with those papers is to be thrown away.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

mutepointe wrote:Sometimes I do a thing I call excavating. I start with the top piece of paper on my desk and work my way down to the bottom til everything is nice and neat and then I dust my desk. Sometimes all that needs done with those papers is to be thrown away.
my wife uses a similar process...

She waits until she can't find the keyboard and then she just throws it all out!

not being able to find the keyboard is usually the result of the cat corrupting the nearest FILO stack.
Being next to the keyboard it doesn't have the same support network as some of the others.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Jack wrote:
mutepointe wrote:I keep ONE calendar. It's my work calendar in Novell GroupWise. I keep a to do list when things get overwhelming. I have a few rules of thumb to keep me on top of things. My favorite rule that I learned in one of those seminars is:
What does this mean?
It means that once you've touched it, it's contaminated. After that, you have to use tongs.
Cotelette d'Agneau
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Either that or stick your hand upside a puppet.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I know this rule as "Do it now".

The other rule is "deal with the most loathsome jobs first".
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!