Best used motorcycle for commuting

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Best used motorcycle for commuting

Post by The Weekenders »

Like so many others, the Weekender is now considering two-wheeled transport. I have a 40-mile daily commute round-trip. The first 10 is a two-lane and well-designed road through parkland. The second 10 is freeway, culminating in suburb. Public transport would require over an hour and a half (bus-rail-bus-bus) and actually cost more than my current price of about $9 a day (just for gas). I'd love to bicycle but have the clothing problem, if not the time..

The state has banned hands-free cell phone use as of July 1. So, even though I have great reservations, I am thinking about getting a bike for non-rainy commuting.

Even though I'd love a Sportster or something macho-n-kewl, I am trying to displace gas debt, not incur new debt, so I am looking for a cycle for around 2 to 3K.

Opinions sought for make, mileage, considerations (cylinders, chain, whaaever). I also favor smaller bikes. I want something I can pick back up, not a hog. And I am not mechanically handy, so it has to be something that can be repaired by more than one shop in the county.

I have a M1 license, because 30-something years ago, I had a Honda 350. I tend to think that I don't need anything bigger than a 750. But my thinking is so dated.... I saw a Craigslist ad for a single cylinder 650 "Thumper" and tried to figure out what or why one big cylinder is better than two smaller ones. Less hot tail pipes I reckon...
Last edited by The Weekenders on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I advise getting the quiet one--the one that doesn't rev its engine at stoplights. The one that doesn't drive between lanes of cars on the freeway. Oh, and the one with rear turn signals larger than a dime.

Please post a photo of you in your leather chaps/jacket when you get set up. :D

Susan
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Last edited by rh on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Very funny. In fact, I dread the expenditure on helmet, gloves etc. cause I know all of those things have gone up.

I'm trying to save money here,. I tell ya, not spend it..
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

look at the Hondas or Yamahas...they are the best used cycles..the metric engines are much more reliable than the Harleys..

you can get a nice used Honda Shadow for quite cheap.

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
Jack

Post by Jack »

The Weekenders wrote:Very funny. In fact, I dread the expenditure on helmet, gloves etc. cause I know all of those things have gone up.

I see people in Kentucky and West Virginia riding helmetless all the time. Is that against the law in California?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Jack wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:Very funny. In fact, I dread the expenditure on helmet, gloves etc. cause I know all of those things have gone up.

I see people in Kentucky and West Virginia riding helmetless all the time. Is that against the law in California?
http://www.iihs.org/laws/HelmetUseCurrent.aspx
In Kentucky, the law requires that all riders younger than 21 years wear helmets, without exception. Those 21 years and older may ride without helmets only if they can show proof that they are covered by a medical insurance policy. Motorcycle helmet laws in Kentucky also cover operators with instructional/learner's permits.
California/West Virginia-Universal helmet law (covers all riders)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

Jack wrote:

Nothing like a good case of road rash to wake you up during the morning commute especially if it's on the brain :o Triumphs, the only way to ride, and I'm from the land of Harley.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Hmm. That's so weird, because I walk up a main street and I see helmetless motorcyclists all the time, and on the main street is the Police building. I guess they (the police) just don't care.
jkwest

Post by jkwest »

oh man...I would love to trade my Honda in for a Triumph...hell, I'd even take a Victory...I love the Victory 8-ball...

The more I see
dwest

Post by dwest »

BonnevilleBonnevilleBonnevilleBonnevilleBonneville oom!
jkwest

Post by jkwest »

here's a beaut 2005 Bonneville for only $7500....not too shabby!!!

only has 786 miles!!!! This thing is practically brand new!!

The more I see
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

It is just way too dangerous to ride a cycle. Spend the gas money or better yet find a closer job or move closer. I have several friends with ground off fingers and totally paralyzed from the thrill of these cursed bikes. That being said I still love my old Triumph 500, but I got rid of it before I got hurt.
shy the blond water
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I assume that there are mechanics a-plenty for the various rice rockets brands. This is important to me. I'm rotten with car type of repairs.

I really don't know who works on Triumphs. I even saw a Royal Enfield on Craigslist for a decent price. I didn't know they still made 'em. But I remember years ago watching a Texan finally go ballistic on his RE because it gave him so much trouble. Took a hammer to it. Kinda traumatic to my young self.

I found some Shadows for $3500. One is a 94 with less than 1,500 miles on it. Kept in a garage and all shiny and stuff. Kind of a girlie color though (San Jose Sharks turquoise). The other is 02 with 10,000 miles. I wondered if the older one would be more repair-prone from sitting so much.
jkwest

Post by jkwest »

The Weekenders wrote: I found some Shadows for $3500. One is a 94 with less than 1,500 miles on it. Kept in a garage and all shiny and stuff. Kind of a girlie color though (San Jose Sharks turquoise).
haha!!!

I saw that one too!! Listed in the Sacramento region also...but!!! It comes with a matching helmet!!! :lol:

The more I see