Spore Creature Creator

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Spore Creature Creator

Post by beowulf573 »

I downloaded the trial version of the <a href="http://www.spore.com/trial">Spore Creature Creator</a> during lunch and played with it a bit. Lots of fun, if the sandbox to run around in was a bit bigger it would be a game unto itself.

Hopefully the actual game lives up to my expectations.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

The game so far has been getting a pretty bad rap because of its aggressive DRM/licensing restrictions. Crippleware.
/Bloomfield
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I liked making little baby versions of my creature in the sandbox. The babies
mimic whatever the "parent" does, but the noises they make are 50 times as
cute.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Bloomfield wrote:The game so far has been getting a pretty bad rap because of its aggressive DRM/licensing restrictions. Crippleware.
About a month ago, they announced that they were revoking the 10-day online licensing check requirement.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Tinwhistler

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

And after only 48 hours, they had to invoke a "no making pronographic monsters" rule. For the unwisely curious.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Wanderer wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:The game so far has been getting a pretty bad rap because of its aggressive DRM/licensing restrictions. Crippleware.
About a month ago, they announced that they were revoking the 10-day online licensing check requirement.
But they left in the 3-activations restriction, triggered by hardware updates or system restores.
/Bloomfield
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

I hadn't heard about the activation restrictions, I'll have to look into it before deciding to buy it. And that I shouldn't have watched the spore lichen while the wife is trying to sleep, my laughter almost woke her up.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Wouldn't run on my machine-- the graphics card is incompatible. Looks like fun though, so I'll try on the laptop later
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

s1m0n wrote:And after only 48 hours, they had to invoke a "no making pronographic monsters" rule. For the unwisely curious.
It seems that would only be enforced if your creature was somehow automatically uploaded.

This isn't one of those games where you have to be logged in is it?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Flyingcursor wrote:It seems that would only be enforced if your creature was somehow automatically uploaded.

This isn't one of those games where you have to be logged in is it?
It probably only applies when you put it on sporeopedia. I know one guy
said he couldn't put his on the 'pedia until he added a mouth.
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

I happened to pick this up for $10 from Target yesterday.

It turns our our Mac Mini won't play it. If I weren't so old and slow I could have seen that coming, I guess.... that is, if I had read the microscopic fine print on the case, that says "will not run on GMA 950 class of integrated video cards." And if I happened to know that was what was in a Mac Mini.

The thing is, this sort of compatibility nonsense goes against my sense of Mac-ness. I mean, I've played games, and installed cards, on PCs and Macs over the years, so I'm not a total newbie. But, till now, I've always felt that one advantage of the Mac was that it was a known, standard thing; so, if something is listed as "runs on Mac," then, it runs on a Mac, right? With a PC, it's more of a crapshoot, wondering whether this video card or that sound card will be compatible with that game, but Mac, being standard, was supposed to be better for "it just works" compatibility. Not so much, I guess, at least not anymore, now that games are so demanding on video cards.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

MusicalADD wrote:I happened to pick this up for $10 from Target yesterday.
Why did you buy a game trial that you can download for free?
The thing is, this sort of compatibility nonsense goes against my sense of Mac-ness. I mean, I've played games, and installed cards, on PCs and Macs over the years, so I'm not a total newbie. But, till now, I've always felt that one advantage of the Mac was that it was a known, standard thing; so, if something is listed as "runs on Mac," then, it runs on a Mac, right? With a PC, it's more of a crapshoot, wondering whether this video card or that sound card will be compatible with that game, but Mac, being standard, was supposed to be better for "it just works" compatibility. Not so much, I guess, at least not anymore, now that games are so demanding on video cards.
Macs have never been particularly good for playing the latest games.
The video cards are frequently underpowered, and the OS does not
allow enough direct exposure to the graphics engine for many of the
tricks game designers use.

But apparently, there is a workaround:
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/17/run-spor ... -950-macs/
mukade

Post by mukade »

fearfaoin wrote:
MusicalADD wrote:I happened to pick this up for $10 from Target yesterday.
Why did you buy a game trial that you can download for free?
The free demo has limited creation options.

They are charging $10 for a full version that will appear in the final game.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

Yeah, I figured that Macs don't have the greatest graphics cards, but given a sort of mini-game that is basically just a creature editor, I was hoping our recently-purchased Mac Mini would be adequate.

As I understand it, the graphics chipset in the Mac Mini IS supported, when that chipset is in a PC. GMA 950 I think? You can run CC on a Windows box with the GMA 950, but not on a Mac with GMA 950. That's a little annoying, just on principle. Apparently, when the product is running on a Mac, there's emulation taking place.

All academic, since we also have a PC which runs the Creature Creator just fine. And yes, I paid the $10 because I was aware that the free download had less in it.

Plus, the $10 package has some sort of coupon in it for $5 off the purchase of the full product.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Oh, I didn't know about the unlimited version for sale. Thanks, guys.

MusicalADD, did you try the link from my post above? I wonder if the same
process works for the purchased version? I've only tried the downloaded
Creature Creator on my laptop PC, but I may need to see if I can get it
going on my MacMini. I wonder if there would be a performance difference...