Clockwise

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
pastorkeith
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Clockwise

Post by pastorkeith »

Oh lurking collective wisdom...Someone explain to me when I go walking around a nearby lake why I am the only person walking clockwise. Everyone else day in and day out walks counter clockwise.

I mean...what are the odds?

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

It's somewhat intuitive to do circular walking in a counter-clockwise fashion, I guess. I always speculated that in symbolical terms, in tribal dances, the heart is to the center.
Reasonable person
Walden
Denny

Post by Denny »

yer not left handed are ya?

right handed people are stronger on their right side, it is easier to go counter clockwise.

NTAC (not that anyone cares) this is a major training issue with the horses....getting them to be able to go clockwise as well as they go counter
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

I was going to ask if you could see around the whole lake, otherwise how would you know you were the only one walking clockwise. The only people you'd come upon would be those walking in the direction opposite to you

but then I recalled that in a park by my house (that has no lake but does have a circular path) I've notice folks tend to walk, ride their bikes, and inline skate that circular path widdershins.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Clockwise

Post by MTGuru »

It's the same at our neighborhood lake. I suspect it's cultural and conventional. At least in the US, horse racing, auto racing, track and field racing, traffic circles/roundabouts, carousels, even board games like Monopoly all condition us to CCW. And maybe there's a writing-conditioned left-to-right bias viewed from outside. Of course, these examples just defer the ultimate explanation back a step.
pastorkeith wrote:I mean...what are the odds?
The question isn't "What are the odds?". The question is "Why are you odd?". I'm not sure we really want to know! :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

When I'm walking in the woods, I like to go around clockwise - deosil. Recently I took my son, who has been ill, and because we arrived at a different entrance, we went around widdershins. It felt wrong. I seek for balance, but I like to follow the sun's path. :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

MTGuru wrote:board games like Monopoly all condition us to CCW.
Monopoly's clockwise... Parcheesi is counterclockwise.
Reasonable person
Walden
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Walden wrote:Monopoly's clockwise... Parcheesi is counterclockwise.
Oops, you're right. Shows you how long it's been since I last played. Or maybe I always did it backwards!
Innocent Bystander wrote:When I'm walking in the woods ...
Widdershins and deosil (deiseal?) ... By cracky, one learns something new every day. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

MTGuru wrote:
Walden wrote:Monopoly's clockwise... Parcheesi is counterclockwise.
Oops, you're right. Shows you how long it's been since I last played. Or maybe I always did it backwards!
I think you might have been interpreting "go directly to jail, do not pass Go" the wrong way.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have several hikes/walks that I like to take and usually do them in one direction (not necessarily clockwise or anti). Once in a while I do them in the opposite direction and it's an entirely different experience.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
djm

Post by djm »

Could it be that we are conditioned by our roadways? i.e. in NA we drive in the right-hand lane and prefer walk in a counter-clockwise. In England they drive in the left-hand lane and IB notes he feels more comfortable walking in a clockwise direction.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have often thought about this subject, as I am one of the people who always walk in a counter-clockwise direction. I am not comfortable doing it the other way. If I remember correctly, we had a topic about this previously here. Personally, I think that it has something to do with the earth's rotation. For example, the Coriolis force 'is an apparent force that as a result of the earth's rotation deflects moving objects (as projectiles or air currents) to the right in the northern hemisphere in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern hemisphere". I am not sure whether any of the aforementioned conventions are altered in the southern hemisphere, although I doubt that the monopoly board will change. On the other hand, animals may prefer to circle clockwise in the southern hemisphere.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

pastorkeith wrote:Oh lurking collective wisdom...Someone explain to me when I go walking around a nearby lake why I am the only person walking clockwise. Everyone else day in and day out walks counter clockwise.
You just don't pass many people going clockwise, because they are going the
same direction. Try going CCW one day and you'll notice people going CW.
I try to alternate directions because that's how I was taught in running classes
to keep from overstrengthening one side of my body (this really only applies
to small diameter tracks, but it's habit), and I see plenty of people going both
directions around the lakes here...
pastorkeith

Post by pastorkeith »

Two things:
(1) I AM left-handed.
(2) I can see around the entire lake (it's more of a small pond to collect run off water, I think) and no one and I mean no one else is walking clock-wise.

Anyone from the southern hemisphere want to chime in :)

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
pastorkeith

Post by pastorkeith »

MTGuru wrote:It's the same at our neighborhood lake. I suspect it's cultural and conventional. At least in the US, horse racing, auto racing, track and field racing, traffic circles/roundabouts, carousels, even board games like Monopoly all condition us to CCW. And maybe there's a writing-conditioned left-to-right bias viewed from outside. Of course, these examples just defer the ultimate explanation back a step.
pastorkeith wrote:I mean...what are the odds?
The question isn't "What are the odds?". The question is "Why are you odd?". I'm not sure we really want to know! :P
I guess some secrets are meant to be kept - I used to walk into parked cars as a child - maybe you are onto something there....

pastorkeith