Clockwise

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Track races are counter-clockwise -- running tracks, NASCAR. OTOH, when they're open to the public, 1/4 mile-400m tracks switch direction daily so that everyone doesn't wind up with a stronger right leg.

I run on a 1.5-mile trail in the woods. I switch directions daily, and tend to pass the same people in the same direction every day. Of the three I know pretty well, the two who run CW are lefties and the one who walks CCW is a rightie.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Hmm... When I walk around the building at work, I walk around it clockwise - and I am right handed. To me, it just seems natural to go left first since we read left to right, and not right to left. Our mind processes left as first, and right as last (at least those that read left-right).
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

It probably has to do with how we drive on the right side around here. And if it's a small enough lake, it's probably like a track and those are always run counterclockwise.

When I went to Nepal you had to take care to always pass people, temples or mani stone piles on the left when you were walking. This was so your nasty hand wouldn't touch anything sacred.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It has a religious quality here too. Clockwise is "the sun's path" - in other words, you are being consistent with natural forces and rhythms if you proceed clockwise or deosil.

When Pagans cast a circle they all do it clockwise. Opinions do differ on closing the circle, but that doesn't have the same importance.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah ha!

It's the Pagans' fault there's so many right handed people!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

interesting, this tendancy to favor one direction over another...

While coaching hockey I've noticed a predisposition among new learners to have difficulty performing crossovers in one direction or the other while they're learning to skate; they usually pick it up on one side quickly, then have slight difficulty on the other. I've noticed it in both directions, and dominant sides don't appear (at least to my observations) to be a factor.
It even happened to me when I was learning; as a lad I had difficulty learning counter-clockwise crossovers, but get this, though... I write with my right hand, play my bass right handed, etc, but I play hockey left handed, except when I play goaltender, then I play traditional...wierd, eh?

Another example I've noticed...
I've recently gotten back into skateboarding as a means of transportation and keeping my fat a$$ in some kind of shape (other than round), and I've been relearning how to skate (haven't been on a board for right about 15 years). I remember when I first learned to skate, I had difficulty gaining confidence performing heelside turns (since I ride regular, counter-clockwise), and found it much easier to perform toeside carves. I tried riding goofy (right foot forward) and still had difficulty building up confidence going counter-clockwise!
As I've been practicing on my new longboard, I've noticed the same dern thing happening... going counter-clockwise effectively seems to be psychologically more difficult to learn.
Wierd... :D :P :wink:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

(Guess mode)

It may be related to the tendency of folks to go to the right, at least in the US. When facing an entrance, the "In" door is usually on the right (except for grocery stores, which I have never figured out). On our roadways, we travel on the right side of the road. So, it *seems* logical that many might look at any object and tend to pass it to the right, which, given the lake, would put them into a counter-clockwise route.

(/Guess mode)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Silvano
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Silvano »

Intersting question, and interesting answers as well. If I just imagine say a house or a hill, I' d say I' d rather tend to go clockwise. I am right-handed. OTH when I think of all usual walks I used to do in different locations or I do now here I discover some are clockwise and others counterclockwise. This leads me to the simple question: isn't it just a matter of habit? If you decide to go in one direction the first time isn't it most likely you will do the same the next time? Isn't it that the familiarity wins against the unknown?
Thinking oft this I am just feeling beeing a creature of habbit :sniffle:

Silvano
--- A whistle a day keeps bad thoughts away ---
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hmm. Like the good pastor, I take a circular path clockwise. It just seems natural. Funny thing is, I'd always wonder to myself why so many people were so contrary.

If I draw a circle, I intuitively draw it counterclockwise if I start and join it at top. If I start and join it at bottom, clockwise. If I start it at left, either way is fine. At right, I don't see why I even should.

I wonder what this means.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

Ha! You think that's bad? How do you draw an X? Do you start at the top or bottom first, left or right first?

(that ought to keep you busy for a while :wink: )

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

djm wrote:Ha! You think that's bad? How do you draw an X? Do you start at the top or bottom first, left or right first?

djm
Upper left. Just like I start my Zs, although I start my Ss at the bottom.
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

I run around a lake that's about 3.25 miles around. I run clockwise, because the last quarter mile is downhill, and it's a nice way to end. Other than that, no explanation for the CW vs. CCW preferences.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:Ha! You think that's bad? How do you draw an X? Do you start at the top or bottom first, left or right first?

djm
Not at all. I used to draw them backslash-slash, a usual procedure for those introduced to standard cursive writing in our language.

Then I took up Japanese, and the habit of doing them slash-backslash took hold because of the kanji thing. By then, my Roman script had become a hodgepodge anyway, so no big shakes. I do it that way to this day.

BTW, both ways would be top-to-bottom for me. None of this suspicious bottom-to-top witchery. :wink:

Just to forestall confusion, here's a wee bit on slash and backslash. :wink:
Last edited by Nanohedron on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Last edited by dwest on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I have often thought about this subject, as I am one of the people who always walk in a counter-clockwise direction. I am not comfortable doing it the other way. If I remember correctly, we had a topic about this previously here. Personally, I think that it has something to do with the earth's rotation. For example, the Coriolis force 'is an apparent force that as a result of the earth's rotation deflects moving objects (as projectiles or air currents) to the right in the northern hemisphere in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern hemisphere". I am not sure whether any of the aforementioned conventions are altered in the southern hemisphere, although I doubt that the monopoly board will change. On the other hand, animals may prefer to circle clockwise in the southern hemisphere.
I guess the brits go bass-ackwards just out of contrariness. :o