Can somebody identify this Church?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TinwhistleJulian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Can somebody identify this Church?

Post by TinwhistleJulian »

Hello

Now an unusual question for this Forum I guess :

I'm planning Vacations for next year on the East Coast of the United States and I discovered a very interesting Church that caught my eyes :

A neo Gothic Church,located somewhere in the east coast states,I found it ona Homepage for abandoned Buildings,the Church was ceased and left alone in the 90's .

The Photographer and owner of the Page doesn't want to tell where this Building as he wants to keep it secret so it is ''his place" .

I would like to visit this place as lost buildings affect me much and I would like to see this with my own eyes before a company could buy it and tear it down .

I couldn't find any webpage for this Church,but as I got to know the Photo page owner's living in Maryland it must be within a distance you can get by car I guess.
http://urbanatrophy.com/thumbnails.php?album=45

Regards,Julian
Julian O`Donovan

´´We all have the same heaven above us ,but not all the same horizon ´´ (Konrad Adenauer)

The long and winding road ,that leads..............
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

It is not, I'm fairly certain, in the Annapolis area.
Interesting old church though, you're right.

I'm going to guess either D.C. area or possibly west toward Hagerstown or Frostburg.
TinwhistleJulian

Town names do not tell me much Emline as I got no big clues about the areas there,but it must be an area that had more than a few catholics because for a small community you wouldn't build such a church.

I just hope it's not too late yet
Julian O`Donovan

´´We all have the same heaven above us ,but not all the same horizon ´´ (Konrad Adenauer)

DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I hope you find it (and identify if for us - I'm curious). It looks beautiful.

Just a word of warning - "driving distance" for folks in the US can be a considerable distance. And distances in the US can really surprise Europeans, both because of the scale of the country and our willingness to drive long distances.

That church is probably on the US east coast, but it may be several hundred miles away from the photographer's home.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

TinwhistleJulian wrote:Town names do not tell me much Emline as I got no big clues about the areas there,but it must be an area that had more than a few catholics because for a small community you wouldn't build such a church.

Bear in mind it may not be a Catholic church. We Episcopalians are prone to building huge, beautiful, gothic buildings as well. In fact, given the lack of statuary (we Anglican types tend to favor exquisite stained glass), I'd say there's a real likelihood that it's Episcopalian.

What I would suggest is this. Go here:

http://www.anglicansonline.org/usa/index.html#ECUSAdio

Contact the dioceses in each of the East Coast states (most, if not all, have web pages now, and email contacts), give them that link, and ask if they recognize the church. If it is a decomissioned Episcopal church building, someone's sure to recognize it.

Also, are you absolutely certain it's on the East Coast? There are churches in that style on the West Coast as well, and almost certainly in the Midwest. I don't recognize that one, but that doesn't mean much.

Just to let you feast your eyes, here's a lovely gothic church from my hometown. I try to go to mass there whenever I'm home (Charlene will recognize this place!)

http://www.stjohns-cathedral.org/

Redwolf
Last edited by Redwolf on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
TinwhistleJulian

Thanks Redwolf

One of the Informations of Urbanathrophy.com is that itwas a former catholic church that got shut by the diocese.

But it's possible he gave wrong links to prevent a identification of the church.
Julian O`Donovan

Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

TinwhistleJulian wrote:Thanks Redwolf

One of the Informations of Urbanathrophy.com is that itwas a former catholic church that got shut by the diocese.

But it's possible he gave wrong links to prevent a identification of the church.
It's also possible he doesn't know the distinction. It's not unusual for people who aren't religious to get us mixed up (especially as some of us refer to ourselves as "Anglo-Catholics").

You can do the same thing with the Roman Catholic Church, though. There should be a list of dioceses on line somewhere, and I bet they all have web pages and email contacts too.

Redwolf
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Here's another site worth trying:

http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/about.htm

It's very possible that a building like that is in the National Register and, if so, it may well be standing yet (and they may be able to help you identify it).

Redwolf
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

The photographer's website says that his "UrbanAtrophy" pages are dedicated to "An exploration of Baltimore area abandonments", so you may try narrowing your focus to the Baltimore region. Good luck.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Redwolf wrote:
TinwhistleJulian wrote:Town names do not tell me much Emline as I got no big clues about the areas there,but it must be an area that had more than a few catholics because for a small community you wouldn't build such a church.

Bear in mind it may not be a Catholic church. We Episcopalians are prone to building huge, beautiful, gothic buildings as well. In fact, given the lack of statuary (we Anglican types tend to favor exquisite stained glass), I'd say there's a real likelihood that it's Episcopalian.

What I would suggest is this. Go here:

http://www.anglicansonline.org/usa/index.html#ECUSAdio

Contact the dioceses in each of the East Coast states (most, if not all, have web pages now, and email contacts), give them that link, and ask if they recognize the church. If it is a decomissioned Episcopal church building, someone's sure to recognize it.

Also, are you absolutely certain it's on the East Coast? There are churches in that style on the West Coast as well, and almost certainly in the Midwest. I don't recognize that one, but that doesn't mean much.

Just to let you feast your eyes, here's a lovely gothic church from my hometown. I try to go to mass there whenever I'm home (Charlene will recognize this place!)

http://www.stjohns-cathedral.org/

Redwolf
I've never attended services there because I don't go to church unless I'm dragged, but I have taken the tour and it is beautiful inside.

We usually go sit on the north lawn on the fourth of July and watch the fireworks, while Dr. McCrady plays the organ. She has to take a tiny elevator up most of the way and climb stairs and open air ladders to get to the keyboard. I'd never make it - up maybe but not back down.
Charlene
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Charlene wrote:
I've never attended services there because I don't go to church unless I'm dragged, but I have taken the tour and it is beautiful inside.

We usually go sit on the north lawn on the fourth of July and watch the fireworks, while Dr. McCrady plays the organ. She has to take a tiny elevator up most of the way and climb stairs and open air ladders to get to the keyboard. I'd never make it - up maybe but not back down.
It's worth going to a service sometime just to hear their choir, which is awesome. A real, classical Anglican choir, in Spokane! For one that's heavy on the music and light on the theology (and isn't too long...usually around 30 minutes), try a service of Evensong.

Redwolf
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Evensong is my favorite service. :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

cowtime wrote:Evensong is my favorite service. :)
Mine too...at least among the regular services. I always figure that Evensong is a good one for people who just want to hear the music and soak up the atmosphere, but aren't particularly religious.

My absolute favorite service of the church year, however, is the Great Vigil (which I'm going to miss this year! :sniffle: )

Redwolf
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

With absolute certainty, it is NOT in . . . Florida. :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Here 'tis. Turns out it's a Catholic church, after all.

The photographer has a forum on his website, so I did a search for terms on the forum... the clue was there. Armed with that, I went a' googling, and there it was. The church isn't likely to be torn down, but is falling down slowly on its own, as the writer says. HTH, and enjoy your visit.