Euphonium!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

There used to be a tubachristmas in Cheyenne (which is about a five hour drive; not sure if that counts as "my area"). I still have my tubachristmas book, and four of us used to get together every year and play at the local grocery store--a tuba, two euphs, and an alto horn. Funny, me and one of the other guys were just talking about that the other day. :)

Weeks, did I give you a copy of my CD? I was playing a cruddy old beat up student horn (and not playing it particularly well at that), but "the Whetstone" is basically a 6/8 pipe march played on the euph. There are some partial sound clips at http://cdbaby.com/cd/wilsontom.

I'm currently looking for the sheet music to Nessun Dorma to learn; after that, yes, I do plan on getting into some Irish and Scottish stuff with it. And yes, one can do rolls, cuts, and taps on a euphonium...though slides don't quite work. :D

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

WyoBadger wrote:And yes, one can do rolls, cuts, and taps on a euphonium...though slides don't quite work. :D
I can see from the photo that the thing has only 3 notes anyway. So how hard could it be? For slides, you need a big toilet plunger over the bell. This also helps to dislodge small woodland creatures. No need to thank me for the tip.

:P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

What would we do without you? :really: :lol:
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

is this a Besson?
Stan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Stan »

It looks like "Yamaha" is inscribed on the
side of the middle valve.
WyoBadger

Post by WyoBadger »

Yamaha 642S. :D
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

I used to love TubaChristmas in Dallas. Alwasy made sure my plant-dusting route took me downtown on Tuba day. Sure could use a little of that music today.........
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

Hi Wyo--nice looking horn. Does it have a 4th valve sticking out of the side? You didn't give us a complete picture. Where did you end up buying it? I seem to remember a posting from you a while back lamenting the fact that you didn't have a music store near you.
WyoBadger

Post by WyoBadger »

It does indeed have a forth sticking off the side. I got it off of (drum roll) ebay. After doing lots and lots (and lots and lots) of research, I found that Yamaha and Stirling horns are the most consistant--one is very much like the next. When laying down a lot of money for a horn without being able to play it first, that's an important consideration. Price is another consideration for me, thus the Yamaha instead of the Stirling Virtuoso. Someday... ;)

Bessons, in my experience, are AMAZING in sound, but they vary quite a bit from one to another, especially in intonation. That was the trouble with my old besson. The sound was awesome (in the true sense, not in the surfer-teenager sense), but I just couldn't get the darn thing to play in tune.

This horn sounds big, and the tuning is as close to dead-on as you're going to get with a euph. I love it. :party:

T
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I just heard from our community orchestra conductor today and he's earmarked his Christmas gift from the group for a .....Euphonium!
(he played a lovely solo on one borrowed from a local college for our holiday concert )
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Oh!

Quite Jazzy!
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.