Turkey Wine

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Turkey Wine

Post by CHasR »

well I'm no expert but I know what I enjoy:
I was really surprised how enjoyable the 2001 Sutter Home Cab Sav is:
maybe its just a step above the box for chiffie sommeliers;
or maybe I just got a lucky bottle:
but I'm searching far + wide for '01 SH CabSav to go with my turkey :P

what're you uncorking with the bird? :-?
jsluder

Re: Turkey Wine

Post by jsluder »

CHasR wrote:what're you uncorking with the bird? :-?
We're skipping the bird this year, and heading to the Oregon coast for Thanksgiving weekend. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Why do you want your wine so old? A nice, fresh CS from Chile or an Argentinian Malbec would be just the ticket and a 2006 would be perfect. A lot of the commercial US branded wines are just juice! :P
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

As I type this I am working on a nice Australian Yellow Tail Cabernet-Merlot.
Yummy.

Sadly, I finally finished off the last bottle of our wine from our vineyard/winery. I've been forced to search for a replacement(none of which suit me, of course, as much as my own blend of Norton and Chambourcin aged in oak. :cry: but it's all gone.... I miss my "St. Marks".
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote:Why do you want your wine so old? A nice, fresh CS from Chile or an Argentinian Malbec would be just the ticket and a 2006 would be perfect. A lot of the commercial US branded wines are just juice! :P
There are some aspects of Thanksgiving dinner which are just sacred, Steve.

As a child, you just had juice with your canned sweet potatoes baked in a casserole with brown sugar, butter, and marshmallows, canned green beans baked in a casserole with canned cream of mushroom soup and topped with canned fried onion bits, canned instant stuffing, instant mashed potatoes with (often canned) turkey gravy, canned cranberry sauce, and Parkerhouse rolls (possibly canned).

As an adult, you have "just juice" with your canned sweet potatoes baked in a casserole with brown sugar, butter, and marshmallows, canned green beans baked in a casserole with canned cream of mushroom soup and topped with canned fried onion bits, canned instant stuffing, real mashed potatoes with (often canned) turkey gravy, canned cranberry sauce, and Parkerhouse rolls (possibly canned).

That's how you know all is right with the world. The Pilgrims landed, and now We are Here. :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

I think I'll unscrew a cheap bottle of bourbon to go with my ramen noodles on Thanksgiving.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Flogging Jason wrote:I think I'll unscrew a cheap bottle of bourbon to go with my ramen noodles on Thanksgiving.
That is just wrong.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I saw the title of this thread as was afraid this was going to be about wine made from fermented turkey!

The old fashioned turkey stuffing inside the bird is my family's tradition. I have used wild fall mushrooms and mushroom broth as part of the stuffing. Sadly, this was a bad mushroom season in north Idaho.
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

cowtime wrote:
Flogging Jason wrote:I think I'll unscrew a cheap bottle of bourbon to go with my ramen noodles on Thanksgiving.
That is just wrong.
That is honesty for you my friend. I don't really forsee much of a traditional turkey day for me. I don't have any family here and the few friends I have will most likely be with their respective families. If I were allowed to travel (restriction of probation) I would dredge up the money to catch a bus and visit my parents.

Maybe I'll add some turkey to my ramen and trade the bourbon for a few bottles of Boones Farm!
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

For the past several years during the holiday season, when the family has gathered together for the ritual bonding we've feasted on.......

steaks grilled to perfection by my Hubby, who is awesome with a grill

speckled butter beans seasoned with smoked ham hocks and okra, simmered all night in a big crockpot and served with green onions, ripe tomato wedges, and cornbread

Baked taters

Cole slaw

Banana pudding

washed down with good Kentucky bourbon, Southern Comfort (or whatever is left in the cooler).

The feast begins shortly after sunset, as everyone returns from PaPaw's back 40 (240 in this case), puts up their rifles and loosens up hteir camoflage, and seasons the meal with admiration for the successful hunters and tales of the big one that "stayed just behind some trees and didn't allow for a clear shot, Dammit!"

(where's a drooling icon when you need one?!)

Y'all eat your hearts out!
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

What do you guys eat at Christmas? More Turkey?
djm

Post by djm »

Yup. And then more turkey. It's my favourite feast food, especially the crispy dark skin from the "pope's nose" where all the stuffing gets jammed in and sewn up. Stuffing made with sausage is my favourite. :D Canadian Thanksgiving is past, but I certainly can't see any reason not to adopt the American one, too .... just in case.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Turkey just the once a year will do me. Getting a good 'un, and getting your oven to cook it right, is a hassle I only want once a year. Buy a big shoulder of pork on the bone instead (at least 12lb). Sublime nosh, and enough crackling to give the whole Household Cavalry heart attacks.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I can't wait for christmas and the massive helpings of turkey, roast tatties, skirlie, pigs in blankets, roast veg and good, heavy gravy. Yum.
djm

Post by djm »

Mmmm. Pigs in blankets. Arrrr! I'm not allowed to eat that kind of stuff any more. :x

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.