Corn snakes and kittens...a happy tale!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cass
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Corn snakes and kittens...a happy tale!

Post by Cass »

Not posted here for a while. (Usual story...not enough hours in the day, and computer problems!)
My house is rapidly turning into a menagerie! My beautiful ginger and white cat is having kittens in 4 weeks time. (The dad is my parent's long haired ginger male). I can't wait!
:D
Also, I'm getting two beautiful Corn snakes at the weekend. Just putting the finishing touches to their new vivarium, so everything's all ready. Even got a box full of frozen baby mice sitting in the bottom of my freezer! ...for all you squeamish ones out there, this is the peril of snake keeping...they don't eat anything else except mice!
I'll post some pics when my furry and scaly new arrivals arrive! :lol:

Cass.
Last edited by Cass on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cass.

Time flies like an arrow....
....Fruit flies like a banana
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, thank goodness! I was worried this would be one of those "uh oh" threads.

You know . . . "My cat had kittens and the corn snakes got out and . . . "
Cotelette d'Agneau
Cass

Post by Cass »

Lambchop wrote:Oh, thank goodness! I was worried this would be one of those "uh oh" threads.

You know . . . "My cat had kittens and the corn snakes got out and . . . "
:lol: :lol: :lol: I think kittens would be a bit on the big side for even the biggest Corn snakes! :lol: That's so funny! :lol: :lol:
Cass.

Jack

Post by Jack »

Won't corn snakes eat each other?

I know kingsnakes will, that's why I can only have one per cage.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Cranberry wrote:Won't corn snakes eat each other?

If you have Corns together from hatchlings, or from being quite young and just keep them apart to feed them (pop one in a seperate little viv), they'll be fine. Occasionally 2 males together will disagree with each other, and a male and a female together will obviously mate, but 2 females will be fine together. They're usually really laid back snakes, and if they've got a big enough viv, they're OK.

How many kingsnakes do you have?

Cass.
Cass.

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I also was thinking this was going to be some kind of warning about not letting corn snakes be around kittens :o . I'm glad it's a happy story. I can't wait to see the photos of the little furry ones----as long as that doesn't mean the frozen baby mice! (I suppose they don't have much fur.---Not sure I need the details on that one :lol: )
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cass wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Won't corn snakes eat each other?

If you have Corns together from hatchlings, or from being quite young and just keep them apart to feed them (pop one in a seperate little viv), they'll be fine. Occasionally 2 males together will disagree with each other, and a male and a female together will obviously mate, but 2 females will be fine together. They're usually really laid back snakes, and if they've got a big enough viv, they're OK.

How many kingsnakes do you have?

Cass.
Just one right now. I want about ninety more.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Cynth wrote:I also was thinking this was going to be some kind of warning about not letting corn snakes be around kittens :o . I'm glad it's a happy story. I can't wait to see the photos of the little furry ones----as long as that doesn't mean the frozen baby mice! (I suppose they don't have much fur.---Not sure I need the details on that one :lol: )
You're getting the details anyway!:D They are bald and called "pinkies". :D I'll be posting pics of the kittens as soon as they arrive into the world!
Cranberry wrote: Just one snake right now. I want about ninety more.
I think snakes are addictive....I've been thinking about what I'll do if I see 5 I really want on Saturday.

For those of you who don't know what Corn snakes look like, check out this page for the fantastic colours.

http://www.iansvivarium.pwp.blueyonder. ... orphs.html

If you click on the pictures, even more pictures come up. :D

(ps...I thought I'd better change the title of my thread a bit! :o )
Cass.

Jack

Post by Jack »

They are addictive.

There are a lot of people on C&F who have snakes. It makes me glad.

Many people feed kittens to snakes. It's not as bad as people think, as long as the kittens are humanely killed. It's no different from feeding a snake a rat. It's much less severe than a person eating ham, because a snake cannot live without eating other animals.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Do you mean kittens as in baby rabbits?? I hope so! :o
Feeding (cat) kittens to a snake would be seen as totally barbaric in the UK and totally unnecessary. Big rats are the same size and are bred specifically for this purpose. Kittens are not.
Cass.

emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Cass wrote:Do you mean kittens as in baby rabbits?? I hope so! :o
Feeding (cat) kittens to a snake would be seen as totally barbaric in the UK and totally unnecessary. Big rats are the same size and are bred specifically for this purpose. Kittens are not.
Right, and around here we see eating dogs as barbaric even though they do it in China. But ultimately, an animal humanely killed for snake food is an animal humanely killed for snake food, regardless of species. (I think that's Cran's point. I too have a greater emotional reaction to the kitten idea, but rabbits and rats are people too, so to speak.)
Jack

Post by Jack »

No, I mean (humanely euthanized) baby cats. As in, meow. It's no more barbaric than feeding a snake baby rats or feeding a human baby dogs, chickens, or cows. Emmline is right--that is my point. If my snake were ever large enough, I'd let it eat a cat.
Last edited by Jack on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Not in the UK, and not the right thing to say to someone who is happily expecting a litter of kittens in 4 weeks.
Cass.

Jack

Post by Jack »

It comes with the game.

Kittens are cute. :) You should post pictures.
djm

Post by djm »

I think you're being over-sensitive, Cass. And wouldn't kitty like a nice new snake-skin leash for Xmas. :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.