I've made a glow in the dark scarf :D

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

I love it!!!!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

missy wrote:Ohhhh - where'd you get the glowing yarn? I've been getting into my crochet stuff again, and that's really neat!
I got the yarn from an online shop in the states (there are no UK suppliers!). I forget if it was this shop or not but this is the stuff:

https://www.woolstock.com/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=56

I took a ball of it and wound it on to one of the bobbins for my spinning wheel. Then I plied it with a bobbin of white merino wool that I had spun a few months ago. ("Plied" means taking two strands and twisting them together on a wheel or spindle.) That's why the yarn is visibly stripey in the bit that isn't knitted yet in the photo - only half of it is glow in the dark.

I ran out of merino before I ran out of glow in the dark yarn, so I only had 412 feet (137 yards) - which sounds like a lot but really isn't. So it's a slightly short scarf, but that's OK because I don't like long ones anyway.

I used big needles to make the yarn go further - they're a metric size 10. When I had only about two feet of yarn left I ended the scarf, and made a small test square. I then fulled this in hot water to see how it would react. ("Fulled" is another fibrecraft term, it means making the wool shrink and fluff by agitating it in hot water. You may have accidentally done this to clothing items in the washing machine.) The wool puffed up a bit (naturally the polyester did nothing) and made the scarf a bit softer. It's still a little scratchy but I'm hoping that will improve with time, and the niftyness factor outweighs the prickles anyway!
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Freakin' AWESOME!

LOL, you've just given me ideas for 10 more projects to add to the list!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I need a scarf like that for our black kitty. She is just impossible to see at night. Rooms and hallways that are lit well enough to walk through, so that you don't really need to turn on the light, are terrible because I'll be walking and suddenly I'll hear a meow. I have to stop right where I am, so I don't step on her, but trying to locate her is hard and I could step on her trying to get to the light switch. This scarf would solve my problem completely! Very nifty idea!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Don't make a scarf for your kitten: make mittens! Then she can polish the floors when she walks, just like with the best Japanese inventions.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Paul

Post by Paul »

That scarf is dope fo shizzle Beth. :) Very cool

Best,
Paul
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

You could start your own business knitting sleeves for whistles....or just make them as gifts for fellow chiffers!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

You have your own spinning wheel? :o
Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Walden wrote:You have your own spinning wheel? :o
Several Chiffettes have them, I believe. :D

The scarf is lovely and practical, too, Beth. You did an excellent job on the yarn! It's nice and even!
Cotelette d'Agneau
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Walden wrote:You have your own spinning wheel? :o
Cynth wrote:I need a scarf like that for our black kitty.
They don't glow in the dark, but the yellow collar on this site is very reflective:

http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/reflectiv ... ollars.htm

I'm sure there's a US equivalent. We had one on our black cat.