Vile8

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Vile8

Post by djm »

Here's an obscure one:

I really can't stand tomato juice or any of the commercial vegetable drinks, e.g. V8. I understand that they are supposed to be very good for me, and a quick, painless way to get a couple servings of vegetables daily, but I hate the taste.

Barring alcohol, or salt (which I'm not allowed) what other ways have you resourceful C&F folks found to mask the flavour of this vile tasting, but oh-so-healthful nectar of the garden?

If you love the taste of this stuff, it probably won't be of much help saying so here, but if you know of a healthful way to make vegetable juices palatable I'm sure there are others here besides myself who would be interested.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Ronbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

The makers of V8 in the states sell a combo vegetable and fruit version which is supposed to have all the veggie values, but tastes like the fruit. I never tried it, so your mileage may vary. :)
djm

Post by djm »

Thx, I'll have to look for it.

djm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Even the salt-free version is high salt, as I recall. It's not that good for you, either. If it were such a panacea, everyone would be guzzling it.

You could always just eat the vegetables themselves. They're all delicious raw.

:D
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm

Post by djm »

Eewwwwwww!!! Eat vegetables? But I'm a chocolivor! :o

djm
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

The V8 fruit drinks aren't bad, though I prefer good old fruit juice.

Oh, and djm, chocolate is technically derived from a vegatable. Feel better. :)

Have to go with Lamby. Hard to beat veggies. Flintstone vitamins are a close second, without all that annoying fiber!

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think one of the biggest set backs to trying to eat healthy is when people feel they have to eat things they just hate. If you hate vegetable juice, then don't try to drink it. Maybe putting ice in it would help. I have drunk V-8 juice that way when it is hot and I also liked the spicy kind, but it always tastes like V-8 juice. And I think the juice lacks fiber, which is one important reason for eating vegetables. I never thought that the juice would really replace eating the whole vegetable I guess.

Do you like raw veggies? I've been eating them for lunch. If you have to eat lunch fast they don't work, but maybe you could snack on them during the day. You can get those little carrots that are already cut up. Just put them in a colander, rinse well, and put in a clean plastic bag with little drainage hole punched in. Set them on a paper towel in the refrigerator. Then you have a week's supply all ready. I like green peppers, celery (cut up and then stand them in a container of water so they stay crisp), cabbage---and they are crunchy which is something that I like. Or you could pre-clean a lot of things and make big salads. The main thing is to get them ready to go for the week and then it's easy to just grab them and eat them.

I think I read somewhere that some of the nutrients in vegetables aren't available unless they are cooked. It might have something to do with tough cell walls or something, but I'm not sure I'm right. Anyway, if you cut up all your vegetables on the week-end then you can just grab a couple of handfuls and steam them for dinner and it won't be such a chore.

I'm not a real vegetable lover so I definitely understand the problem. Luckily my husband does the cooking and he cooks very healthy so for dinner I just eat the veggies he puts on my plate---I have it easy. I can't say I love them, but I don't hate them.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

V-8 and the like taste like they are cooked to me.

I bought a rather heavy-duty juicer to make fresh raw juices. It does make really good juices but it's a bear to clean. After it nearly spun across the room and attempted to kill me, I let other people make juice for me.

I'm partial to carrot juice variations, such as carrot-orange, carrot-apple, carrot-beet-celery.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

sbfluter wrote:V-8 and the like taste like they are cooked to me.

I bought a rather heavy-duty juicer to make fresh raw juices. It does make really good juices but it's a bear to clean. After it nearly spun across the room and attempted to kill me, I let other people make juice for me.

I'm partial to carrot juice variations, such as carrot-orange, carrot-apple, carrot-beet-celery.
The Jack LaLanne juicer is actually pretty good.

We also use the Vitamix for green drinks and coconut smoothies.

Kevin Krell
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Forget the V8! Eat Gazpacho! :wink:

In fact, if you want to sneak some vegetables into your system: soup!

And forget those old Chicken Noodle & Brown Windsor jobs: go for Scotch Broth, Spring Vegetable Soup, Carrot & Coriander, or Cock-a-leekie.

(Have you tried your V8 hot?)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Sort of OT, but when once asked about the public schools lunch program, Ronald Reagen suggested that ketchup could be considered a vegetable. :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
djm

Post by djm »

Actually, ketchup is very good for men (it's a whole tomato product, good for staving off prostate problems).

I hate veggies in general. I hate grocery shopping almost as much as I hate veggies. I hate throwing out half the veggies I just bought because they've gone bad already.

I was thinking about the juicer/blender thing, then maybe adding some sort of flavouring to mask the taste of what I was consuming (though I just can't see chocolate working in this regard). I guess one could experiment adding fruit and vegetables to the blender at the same time. Carrots need to be limited, as they are very high on the glycemic index. Fibre is easy - just buy some psyllium fibre in bulk from the healthfood store. It's dirt cheap.

I was hoping someone might have stumbled upon something really creative to make up for my lack of imagination.

djm
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Cornbread is another way to sneak in veggies. Pair it up with soup and you've got a delicious, warm meal.

I've snuck veggies into my birds by chopping them up and mixing them into cornbread. It's so good, I eat it too.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

my wife thinks veggies were invented to punish her and she thinks soup is a major conspiracy. have you considered spending some time at a good farmer's market and actually tasting fresh veggies? they're actually really good and rarely poisonous. i don't know what you eat regularly but my wife was raised on processed junk foods. i've made some progress with her but she has a long way to go.

honest story: she once said (without thinking) "lettuce just mucks up a good salad." a good salad to her is croutons, bacon bits, mushrooms, cheese, and pepperoni with poppyseed dressing.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

If you hold your nose while you are drinking your v8 and then still holding your nose take a mouthful of your favorite juice and slosh it around your mouth.When you let go your nose all you will taste is the juice !!

I used this method for taking a spoonful of cod liver oil .

RORY