Gone for a few days

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Gone for a few days

Post by Redwolf »

Hey all,

My dad's having open heart surgery on Tuesday, 10/16. I'm flying up to be with him and mom very early Sunday morning. It's kind of last moment, but we've been in and out of tests all week, and nothing's been certain until now.

I'll be home late Friday evening, 10/19, God willing. If anyone's into prayers, etc., we sure could use them. Dad's health is very frail, and this surgery is huge.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Scary. Hope it goes well.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Prayers for you and your dad!

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I sure hope the surgery goes well for your dad, and I'm so glad they have you to go up there and help out.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
mukade

Post by mukade »

I hope every goes well.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

May the love of yours carry all our prayers with him and may the doctors and staff who attend him be blessed with hightened skills and calm confidence. See you next week!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Just an update:

Dia dhaoibh,

Just checking in from my dad's computer. He survived his surgery, which is a miracle in and of itself (his health problems are such that it wasn't even certain that he would be able to HAVE the surgery until they started). He's still on the ICU floor because of issues with his blood pressure that they think may be caused by overmedication (they hope to move him to the regular cardiac care floor tomorrow), but right now both the doctors and the nurses are calling him their "miracle patient." We're by no means out of the woods, but things are looking very positive.

I'll be home late tomorrow night, but I figured I'd give you all an update.

On the upside, I finished reading my first novel in Irish on the plane!

Slán go fóill,

Redwolf
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Glad to hear that things went well. Here's hoping for continued healing.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

And yet another update...

When we called early this evening to check on dad's progress, we actually got to talk TO him, which was a gift in and of itself. And when we called a few minutes ago to check on his status before going to bed, we learned that his blood pressure had stabilized and they're moving him off CICU TONIGHT!!! That's wonderful news (especially when I have to leave tomorrow).

Can I take a moment to mention that nurses are a gift from God? We have been dealing with nurses for the past couple of days, and, as far as I'm concerned, they're the glue that holds modern medicine together. And I have to tell you that I'm also developing a great deal of respect for the developmentally challeged people who work in various capacities in the hospital...what genuously nice, kind, helpful folk! Dad's mentioned several times his special friend...the young man who "seemed a bit slow" who cleaned his room and spent time talking to him (I think, after speaking with him, that he may be autisic). We met him later, and he was SO kind...he even went out of his way to visit us in the lounge and tell us that dad was sleeping, and to mention how much he liked him. And the young lady who saw me looking bewildered when I stepped off the elevator the other day and who offered to show me the way to wherever I wanted to go (and who joyfully guided me to the main exit), who had Down Syndrome...what a gift she was! Every single one of these people will stay in my heart forever as a moment of grace.

I'm glad I've been here, but oh...I'm so looking forward to being home! I'm so tired! I'm glad my aunt is coming in tomorrow to help my mom, and I'm thrilled that my sister will be here. It's really amazing the toll this takes from one (and poor mom doesn't get to step back from it at all!). If all goes well, this surgery may well buy my dad several years of quality life, so every minute has been worth it.

Redwolf