which way?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

gonzo914 wrote:What am I to do?
Arrr, pillage and plunder something. A good bit o' pillaging'll always make ye feel better, matey. Throw in a bit o' plundering and ye can't go wrong.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
trill

which way

Post by trill »

At first, only clockwise.

The only way I could perceive it ac anti-cw was to focus *only* on the pivoting foot shadow under the torso and trying force it. And then, whenever I looked up, my perception flipped back to cw. Reminds me of a figure skater.

I'm wondering if there are cues in the upper part of the image which dominate.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I didn't see any cues anywhere in the inage. :-?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The first time I looked it was clockwise. Then I read the text and it was counterclockwise. Sometimes she had stayed the same when I looked back and sometimes she had changed. I couldn't predict what it would be. I seem to be feeling too lazy to try to make her do the opposite of what she's doing. It is amazing that people can draw these things---I don't attach a whole lot more importance to it I guess.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Initially I could only see her going clockwise, then realized that by looking slightly to the side of the image I could change her to counter-clockwise. Then I could make her go back and forth between the two, speed up in spots..hmmm- right brained, yeah, that's me. :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

At first glance it was counterclockwise. I can change the direction I perceive at will with a small effort.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
trill

Post by trill »

Hey perceptron fans!

Which shoulder leads the spin? (her own-left or own right?)

Which arm is further outstreached? (her own-left or own-right?)

:-)
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I found that with a little practice that I can make the spinning woman change directions at will: one turn clockwise and one turn counterclockwise, on and on. It is easier for me to do this if I focus my attention at her feet, since I have a smaller part of the image to manipulate rather than the whole image.

Starting with the assumption that it is desirable to have a balance between the two hemispheres of the brain, I wonder about the propostion that working with such images would help bring about this desirable balance in brain function. Playing chess or crossword puzzles may reinforce left-brain orientation, where painting or playing an instrument by ear may reinforce right-brain orientation. Do such exercises where we learn to switch between different brain orientations help us to better integrate the two different brain functions for our everyday experience?
djm

Post by djm »

There's a whole range of exercises that involve matching movements of the right and left sides of the body that purport to integrate both hemispheres of the brain (e.g. right arm with left leg, etc.). I have not seen any studies that prove this to actually be true. I suspect it is more of a novel concept than anything else.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

She appears to change direction regularly, if somewhat randomly in the frequency. On top of that, the figure is asymmetric. You can fool yourself into changing the apparent direction of rotation if you have a symmetric figure, but I don't think you can actually do it with an asymmetric figure. I think that they are messing with our minds here.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

WyoBadger wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:What am I to do?
Arrr, pillage and plunder something. A good bit o' pillaging'll always make ye feel better, matey. Throw in a bit o' plundering and ye can't go wrong.

Tom

Oooooo! The Pirate and the Ballet Dancer!
Cotelette d'Agneau
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Ronbo wrote:She appears to change direction regularly, if somewhat randomly in the frequency. On top of that, the figure is asymmetric. You can fool yourself into changing the apparent direction of rotation if you have a symmetric figure, but I don't think you can actually do it with an asymmetric figure. I think that they are messing with our minds here.
In response to Ronbo's query Chris of San Diego wrote this on the page where the spinning woman image is located:
"As for all of the people trying to debunk it and think it changes well I hate to burst your bubble but it doesn't. It is a simple animated gif. 34 frames then it repeats. If you save the pic and open it in an image editor that handles animated gifs you will see that you can make each frame jump back and forth in the direction it looks like it's going."

In other words any changes of direction that may or may not be perceived by a viewer are not caused by changes in the images but by changes in perception alone.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:shock:

d'uh
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Looks like Doug was right. I downloaded it and played it back at a very slow speed. Once I figured it could be done, I was able to do it. But I still don't believe it. :boggle: :boggle:
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Innocent Bystander wrote: I'm losing the left side of my brain. Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggh! :boggle:
Dude! Just stand on your head.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.