University for Composing Arts&Instrumental performance ?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TinwhistleJulian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

University for Composing Arts&Instrumental performance ?

Post by TinwhistleJulian »

Hello Folks

As my health n soul status are getting better again I have to look around for a new perspective .After long reflections n discussions with myself I decided to reanimate the music work that I gave up last New Yea'rs Eve due to the health situation.

I practise alot on the whistles,flutes and violin ,I'm writing on 2 Albums that I want to record in December and I look out for Bands to work with ,but as my brain already recognized I don't wanna life by stage work only .
So I reflected a while n decided to give a try to a study on Instrumental Performance and Composing Arts,where would you consider to study ??Prefered locations would be UK ,Ireland and the US .

Regards ,Julian
Julian O`Donovan

´´We all have the same heaven above us ,but not all the same horizon ´´ (Konrad Adenauer)

The long and winding road ,that leads..............
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
djm

Post by djm »

I met a young girl from Scotland, fiddler, who was over here visiting with her dad. She was getting ready to take that Performance course at RSAMD. Man, was she good. There wasn't a tune you could think of in any Scottish or Irish repertoire that she didn't know, and she could easily play them at all three postions on the fiddle. I think you'd have to be pretty darn good at your instrument to get in with that calibre of player.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Geez, there are so many in the US.

Berklee college of Music and the New England Conservatory, both in Boston
Julliard and Manhattan School of of Music, both in New York
The Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore, MD
The Hartt School of Music in Hartford, CT
Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NT

Those are just a few schools off the top of my head entirely devoted to music (the last three are affiliated with universities). There are many colleges and universities with strong music programs.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
TinwhistleJulian

Post by TinwhistleJulian »

Hello

First of all ,thx for the advices.

Checked RSAMD yet,seems like it could become difficult because the scots have a different school and music school system than we got (livin in german y for a couple of years already).

Colleges in the US sound interesting to me ,would take me away from Europe for a while.

Any further advices for Ireland n UK??

Julian
Julian O`Donovan

´´We all have the same heaven above us ,but not all the same horizon ´´ (Konrad Adenauer)

The long and winding road ,that leads..............
alurker

Post by alurker »

ITM focused and until fairly recently was mostly post-graduate level studies as far as I know: http://www.ul.ie/~iwmc/ There seems to be an undergraduate level element there now also ( http://www.ul.ie/~iwmc/programmes/ba/index.html ).

Many who have taken the UL ITM Performance Masters course ( http://www.ul.ie/~iwmc/programmes/maitmp/index.html - check out the tutor list!) have come through the UCC BMus course, due in part to a UCC focus on ITM. http://www.ucc.ie/en/CK103/ Micheal O Sulleabhain is a common link between these courses.
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

check out this link:
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/subjects/music
Newcastle is a wonderful city with a unique musical tradition: I'd recommend it highly.

bh
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I know two people here who have come through the ITM programme at Limerick - one undergraduate and one graduate. Both have mostly good things to say, and both are excellent musicians whose playing gives a very positive impression of their studies.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Interlochen in Michigan.