Back - Been Preoccupied this Summer

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Back - Been Preoccupied this Summer

Post by dfernandez77 »

Hello,

I've been quiet this summer - I've been having chronic chest pain since July 2nd (basically all summer long). I was always tense in my back and shoulders, feeling grumpy, and I was always tired and falling asleep - even in the middle of the day sometimes.

I was in the emergency room at the hospital in July. The doctors did all the tests including the stress test running on the treadmill. Everything said my heart was very healthy. There is one more test they could have done, a surgical procedure called an angiogram, but everything looked like I had a healthy heart. I also exercise and my diet is pretty good, so their was no urgency.

The testing also showed my cholesterol is OK, but triglycerides (blood fat) are very high. I went on a zero fat diet for 5 weeks and lost 15 pounds. Unfortunately I lost muscle weight too because I can't work out. The triglycerides did not change so something, not diet, keeps my triglycerides extremely high. I'm on medication to deal with that.

Two weeks ago I started getting the chest pain just sitting around. I pressed my doctor for an answer and he scheduled an angiogram for September 26, two days ago. This is where they put a thin noodle kinda thing in your artery in the leg, and put it all the way up to your heart. They can take videos of the blood flowing around the heart. They found I had one blockage in all three of the coronary arteries. One blockage was 99% - almost no blood was going to the right back portion of my heart. So my heart is very healthy, but it was suffocating.

Through all the tests the doctors have said my heart muscle is in really great shape. My EKG shows that I had a minor "silent heart attack" with no permanent damage between August and two days ago. This plus the restricted blood flow is why I was getting chest pains just sitting. But the heart muscle is undamaged and still in great shape (thank goodness).

The doctors opened the 99% blockage in one artery with the angiogram snake thing at my heart and put a stent (like a tiny spring steel cage) in the artery to keep it open. They will possibly do another angiogram in about 10 weeks to check and maybe open the other two less troublesome blockages.

So now my heart is healthy, and it can breathe. I have to take medication for a while, and take it easy for only one week. Basically, with the blockages taken care of I'm perfectly fine. The doctors say I'll be in better heart health than I've been in a couple years and I should start exercising again soon. As for me, I have a lot of energy and feel great since yesterday afternoon. I'll be back at work on Monday, without falling asleep at my desk, haha.

That's the whole story for now.

Peace,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I have been reading about a lot of after-surgery problems being blamed on stents. You might want to get them to look into removing it after a while. It's a good thing medical topics are barred from this forum. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

djm wrote:It's a good thing medical topics are barred from this forum. :wink:

djm
Well, it's a happy ending story for now. :)
Daniel

anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Wow! Glad to see you back! Sorry you had to go through all that, but thank goodness they finally discovered what it was and it was so readily treatable!!!

Whew! Way to prove that "Life Happens!"
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Hi! I'm Katie. I am glad that you are back and healthy so I have the opportunity to make your acquaintance.
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Daniel!!!

I had wondered where you were! I look forward to your photos, I think of you every time I see a fish pond! (Or a man in a tutu....)

I am sorry you spent your summer that way, but happy at the good outcome..... Welcome back :D

M
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

KatieBell wrote:...so I have the opportunity to make your acquaintance.
Ah! Then I see you haven't met me. Haha!

I haven't been playing whistle much either, so my clumsy playing should be... erm...
more clumsy?

:D
Daniel

anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

He's got good knees though.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

dfernandez77 wrote:
KatieBell wrote:...so I have the opportunity to make your acquaintance.
Ah! Then I see you haven't met me. Haha!

I haven't been playing whistle much either, so my clumsy playing should be... erm...
more clumsy?

It's like riding a bicycle, isn't it? I'm sure you'll be great in no time. All this time you are off your feet this week should get you all polished up.
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Glad to hear that they finally found the culprit and fixed it. My mom had a similar episode and procedure years ago and she recently celebrated her 83rd birthday. May you fare as well and welcome back! :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
emmline

Post by emmline »

That's good news!
Glad you're back.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Glad to see you back, Daniel. I was wondering where you'd gone.
And I'm very glad that they caught the problem in time to do something about it.

On the other hand: modesty is good, but don't sell yourself short. You're certainly a better player than *I* am - more expressive, and better natural rhythm.

Non Illegitimi Corrundum!
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

anniemcu wrote:He's got good knees though.
Great knees and a bad reputation. :oops:
Daniel

Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Good to see you back.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Welcome back, Daniel! I'm glad you're doing well!
Cotelette d'Agneau