how a deaf fluteplayer gets to hear again

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
devondancer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: how a deaf fluteplayer gets to hear again

Post by devondancer »

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Berti. I hope that tomorrow is a better day, and you are able to tell the full story to people who can help you.

With love,

Lesley and Ro
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

So sorry things have taken a turn in the wrong direction.

You'll be in my thoughts.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

hi friends :)
well THIS TIME I have completely different news to share and some of you already read it on Facebook.
in july I received an invitation to an appointment in the hospital YESTERDAY with a different doctor (who I knew from the very first surgery back in 2007).
initially he and me didn't get along at all at the time back then, but yesterday I had an entirely different experience alltogether!

my eldest had come with me and I was feeling very supported by all the lighted candles, sending of positive energies and support of the spiritual world even.....so I went there calmer than I had ever been.
we were too early and called in right away, and after he had heard that I was doing fine and no more pain or symptoms....he started talking.
"well it has been 8 months now, let's start planning for placing the new implant!"

I blinked....my jaw did not actually drop but I stared at him while he talked....my daughters eyes were about to roll out of her head and she was fighting her tears and asking doc three times whether she actually heard him right.
sure nothing is wrong with HER hearing.... ;)

the doc actually seemed to have changed into a total different person from how I knew him, into a warm, caring and fatherly type.
I am not going to ponder about how this is possible at all ...I know people can change but like this....wow....
he seemed shocked to hear some things I shared with him about how things went since we last time saw, although I am pretty sure that he was well informed by both the chief AND my advanced bionics person...

anyway.....august 25 there is going to be an MRI performed, as per my urgent request.......just wanting to check there is othing else that could become an obstacle (after placing a new implant am no longer allowed near magnetic fields....like pacemakers...) and he didn't even argue, just said "no problem" and daughter and me left with an appointment for the mri.
soon, a letter will arrive with a surgery date.....

hopefully this horror story will end there and a new story will start.
a new life, filled with music again.....

would you believe it actually took me HOURS to get the news to sink in....but on the way home my eldest and me went to celebrate by dining out, WITH cocktails....feeling SO thankful for this positive experience and a new chance :)

stay tooned ......
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

That's very good news! What a journey this has been for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed and send postive thoughts that all goes as planned.

Eric
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

That is such wonderful news, Berti. I am delighted for you, and will wait anxiously to know that all is well and that the surgery is finally over. Terrific news.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I am celebrating today too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

just online for 3 days again and seeing this.... wonderful news :party: :party: :party:
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

still in a party mood!! toot toot!!! :party: it feels SO good! **hi brigitte, meet soon**
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Me too (checking in infrequently this summer). I'm so happy you finally have reason to be in a party mood, Berti! :D :thumbsup: :party:

Sarah (the far north one)
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

hi friends, has been a few months but now finally its going to happen!!!
things continue to go well and now we have got a SURGERY DATE........monday nov 28th!
thought to post it here because not everyone here is on FB these days.

definitely am calm under it all......the real test will come approx 6 weeks after the surgery.
when the whole story is going to start all over, with the hookup aka wired for sound........
with the major difference that it has only been one year (ALREADY?) since the thing was taken out, and that I don't have to start over with rehab.
with the hearing aid I am currently using in my other ear (NOTHING, compared to the cochleair implant sound....) I have noticed that now I do get MORE sound because I have built up a aural memory in the four years I used the implant + processor.
really surprising to me, but otherwise logical (since aural memory is in your brains and nothing wrong with mine..., it keeps...)

doing really fine for the moment.....and the Advanced Bionics people are still supporting me and keeping an eye out.
so please remember that date and that I am in netherlands so for you USA people its 27th ;) and send all the positive vibes that you want to share, my way!
can't wait for the new year to start....no matter what the outcome.....(no guarantees!) I will be going for it!!

but I LONG for the music to return in my life and develop myself further on this front so lets hope it will all work out....:)
stay tooned....will post updates after surgery on my FB wall and here....

berti
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Berti,

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you! I'm glad you're going to finally get a new implant. I sincerely hope the year without has allowed any aggravated/stressed tissue to heal and that all goes great with the new, properly working implant.

Eric
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It is always distressing when someone cuts you open. The year has gone quickly, hasn't it? I hope it all goes well.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Wishing all the very best for you. You deserve it.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Whistlin' Will

Post by Whistlin' Will »

I'm thrilled that it looks like it's all going to work out for you. :)
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

Hi friends, thought it time for an update!!!
Last time I wrote I was about to have surgery again to have a new implant placed.......that went perfectly well.
Then the new year started with a BANG.......well not a bang, but almost :D because january 2, sound was turned on again.....
Can you believe how NERVOUS I must have been, waiting for my name to be called and it to be my turn to get in.
And then the moment supreme came, I held my daughters hand, and we BOTH squeezed hard.......lots of thoughts going through our minds, scared that it might hurt AGAIN.......but none of that.

Instead.....there was just SOUND.
That I can write JUST.
Says it all, doesn't it :)

SO.....the last two months, I have been visiting there weekly and steadily things are making progress.
THIS TIME I am the one who is telling them what I want done, and its more than clear that they aren't used to that......but they LET ME.
And IT WORKS.
I have developed my own tactics and it WORKS.....DAMN IT!! :D

so where am I standing now......

things have become recognizable again.....slowly speech understanding is coming back but I need regular visits still.
things are slowly stabilizing though, so within a few months time I think, we will see the final result.
Or hear the final result, say;)

meanwhile I have taken my iPod again......it has become my trusty companion again.
all my favorite bands on it.
and some audiobooks......no better thing to practice listening with.
I plan to go to my first concert next week sunday march 4th if all goes well....some big names showing up close to my home.
the band BRING IN THE SPIRIT! what's in a name huh? :)

and NO....I no longer have pain.
no longer take painkillers.
so it says it all.....the thing WAS defective......but no one can predict the results for the future.
though I am working hard on it, to try to get as close again as it has been in the past....
the depth, warmth, closeness of music....the emotion in singing voices....touching my soul once more.

stay tooned!!