Can Anyone Else Smell The Deathly Hallows? :o

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How will you read HP 7?

I won't
35%
I will buy the book eventually -- no big hurry
16%
I will buy the book at Friday midnight and read nonstop
19%
I will read over several days
26%
I will read it aloud with / to children
4%
I will skip ahead and read the last chapter first
No votes

Total votes: 57

djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Can Anyone Else Smell The Deathly Hallows? :o

Post by djm »

This is a poll that I was asked to post for someone who was having problems. Naturally, I wouldn't have posted this, being calm and cool, maintaining my reserve, and if that kid tries to get in front of me in line I'll crease 'im. :really:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've never read one or watched a movie. I won't read this one either.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I have no idea what this is all about, so I imagine I won't read/watch it, either.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

Nanohedron wrote:I have no idea what this is all about, so I imagine I won't read/watch it, either.
HP 7 means Harry Potter 7. I know that only because I always get Harry Potter's initials mixed up with my own.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cranberry wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I have no idea what this is all about, so I imagine I won't read/watch it, either.
HP 7 means Harry Potter 7. I know that only because I always get Harry Potter's initials mixed up with my own.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if Deej was referring in some arcane way to some new Hewlett-Packard owner's manual or something, either.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

Nanohedron wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Thanks. I wasn't sure if Deej was referring in some arcane way to some new Hewlett-Packard owner's manual or something, either.
You're very welcome.
Caroluna

Re: Can Anyone Else Smell The Deathly Hallows? :o

Post by Caroluna »

djm wrote:This is a poll that I was asked to post for someone who was having problems.
djm
Um, just problems posting. I have no problems otherwise :wink:

If I didn't have a kid I would buy the book Friday at midnight and read the whole thing in one massive, blurry-eyed marathon-- and would be sorely tempted to read the last chapter first.

As it is-- I've agreed to read it aloud w/ Kevin (he's 11) -- I am NOT NOT NOT allowed to skip ahead of him. It will probably take 2 or 3 days this way...but we have had so much fun over the past two years discussing what's going to happen that I really think we need to experience this together.

..being calm and cool, maintaining my reserve, and if that kid tries to get in front of me in line I'll crease 'im.
Dude, out of my way. I was here first. :lol:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Amazon.com will be dropping 2 copies on our doorstep Saturday morning. My game plan is that since all of the 3 kids who'll be home will sleep later than I, I can read it over the course of a few days, sticking to mornings.

And Caroluna...you're a better woman than I. I'd never make that promise. A few years ago I started out reading the Golden Compass trilogy to my 2 younger kids. Well...I soon moved ahead, reading later at night, and ended up reading it twice--once to me, once more to the kids.
Last edited by emmline on Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Sadly, I expect the results of Harry Potter's final adventures to be posted all over CNN, the BBC, MSNBC, and other supposedly reputable news sources as soon as they're known.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My thirteen year-old daughter has the book on order. She will get first dibs. She'll probably take a month to read it and re-read it.
Then her mother will get it. She'll probably finish it in a couple of weeks. Then it might be my turn.

So I might have read it all the way through by some time in October.
Meanwhile I'm brushing up my Irish by reading the first Harry Potter book in that language. Actually, it reads better in Irish... (but maybe that's just because it means I read it a LOT more slowly...)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Cass

Post by Cass »

....you're all gonna think I'm really sad now, but a friend is opening her bookshop 11pm this Friday, and they're having a HP themed party! The shop is in a tiny village, and a number of shops are opening late for the book launch...they're supposed to be turning the little street into "Diagon Alley".
....and I've got THE best witchy dress( very tasteful and long, in velvet) ...just got to find my broomstick....I know I left it somewhere....

Cass. :devil:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Cass wrote:....you're all gonna think I'm really sad now, but a friend is opening her bookshop 11pm this Friday, and they're having a HP themed party! The shop is in a tiny village, and a number of shops are opening late for the book launch...they're supposed to be turning the little street into "Diagon Alley".
....and I've got THE best witchy dress( very tasteful and long, in velvet) ...just got to find my broomstick....I know I left it somewhere....

Cass. :devil:
Glad to know there is a bookshop opening somewhere. The local landlords are loosening their belts and bumping the rents up. The local bookshop is just one of many casualties. There are some greedy rich folk out there.

You're welcome to borrow my hazel besom, Cass. It knows its own way home.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

I particularly related to the parts about Dementors. They are half-spirit creatures that suck every memory of every good experience out of you and leave you paralyzed in despair. :o

Been there :lol:

The whole series takes place on several levels. Yes, it's for kids, so some of the symbolism is heavy-handed, but I think it is life-affirming and encouraging.

And I'll take all the encouragement I can get :lol:
izzarina

Re: Can Anyone Else Smell The Deathly Hallows? :o

Post by izzarina »

Caroluna wrote:As it is-- I've agreed to read it aloud w/ Kevin (he's 11) -- I am NOT NOT NOT allowed to skip ahead of him.
HA! I wouldn't dream of doing it that way. You see, I was told a looooooong time ago that the HP books were EEEEEEVIL* So now I keep that in mind when a new one is out and make sure that I read it first before they're even allowed to touch it. Have to make sure they're kept from all that evil stuff you know....really, it's not like I want to read it first or anything :twisted:

*Before anyone jumps on me for saying it's evil, I don't really hold to this view, despite the voiced concerns of some well-meaning friends. It really is a very poor attempt to get my grubby hands on the darn book first...which I will, as always ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
You're welcome to borrow my hazel besom, Cass. It knows its own way home.
"Accio Innocent Bystander's broom"!

Cass :D