£41million fine

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

£41million fine

Post by GaryKelly »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6700639.stm
"It shouldn't matter whether we are buying from an official distributor in the UK, Europe or the Far East, what is important is that we are buying legitimate products from the record companies themselves."
But apparently it does matter. Because the record companies don't make so much money when Brits buy legitimate CDs from Hong Kong, or the USA, where they're considerably cheaper than in the UK.

Average cost of a CD in the UK according to the BPI: £9.40
Average cost of a CD in the USA according to the RIAA: $12.75 (£6.40)

But the record companies really don't like Brits saving 3 quid on the cost of a CD by buying it online from America, or anywhere else for that matter.

They call it "Parallel Importing", probably because they haven't figured out how to call it "theft" or "piracy" yet. Weasels.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

From your link, it seems that CD-WOW is the third largest seller in the UK, and has been in trouble before on similar charges in 2004. What makes you think that the difference in CD price goes to the record companies? More likely it is going to the distributors.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

How to Run Cartel, Lesson #4: Market Divisions Only Work If You Can Control Arbitrage.
/Bloomfield