They Didn't Study

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
hathair_bláth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

They Didn't Study

Post by hathair_bláth »

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5107/They-didnt-study

Not even a 'C' for creativity! :lol:
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

In the words of one of the responders below the pictures,
One word: ROFL :lol:
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Scott McCallister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

"Use calculus to find the identity of Batman"

what a scream!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

A proton approaches a long line of positive charge so that with it's initial trajectory it would intersect the line....
Hint: find the field and potential that affect the proton.
Hint: Change "it's" to "its".
Can I get partial credit for that?

I thought the response to the command to "Find x." in the geometry problem was really elegant---"Here it is". There's a cool customer for ya.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Cynth wrote:
A proton approaches a long line of positive charge so that with it's initial trajectory it would intersect the line....
There is a bronze plaque in the lobby of the administration building at my alma mater that has the same gramatical error, confusing "it's" and "its". You have to admit, its one gramatical rule that is easy to make if you aren't paying attention.

As an ex-high school math teacher, the other examples bring back both happy and bad memories. One bad memory comes with the realization that you have a number of people in your class that don't have the slightest idea what you have been talking about in class.
chas

Post by chas »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Cynth wrote:
There is a bronze plaque in the lobby of the administration building at my alma mater that has the same gramatical error, confusing "it's" and "its".
There's a sign at the entrance of the engineering school at my alma mater that reads: Perspective students report to room 114 . It had been there for years.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
djm

Post by djm »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Hint: Change "it's" to "its".
Nope, sorry, but that is incorrect. As I understand it, due to confusion between possesive form "it's" and the contraction form of "it is", the convention is to leave out the apostrophe for the contraction of "it is" but to keep the apostrophe for the possesive "it's". In this case, if we substituted "it's initial trajectory" with "it is initial trajectory" we can see that doesn't make sense, so it must be the possesive form that is intended. Therefore "it's" is used correctly.

Here is a more correct usage of the contraction form:

Its Image

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:Hint: Change "it's" to "its".
Nope, sorry, but that is incorrect. As I understand it, due to confusion between possesive form "it's" and the contraction form of "it is", the convention is to leave out the apostrophe for the contraction of "it is" but to keep the apostrophe for the possesive "it's". In this case, if we substituted "it's initial trajectory" with "it is initial trajectory" we can see that doesn't make sense, so it must be the possesive form that is intended. Therefore "it's" is used correctly.

Here is a more correct usage of the contraction form:

Its Image

djm
Deej, could you be any more convolutedly wrong? Intent may make meaning clear, but it doesn't defray a mistake. "Its" = possessive. "It's" = "it is". That's it. "It's" is never the possessive. Properly, anyway. It's one of those exceptions that finds its way into English orthography (there's a case example for you).
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:could you be any more convolutedly wrong?
Just watch me!

You're right. Doug T is right. I am wrong.

Mea culpa.

djm

(at least I've owned Cold Blow and the Rainy Night since it was first issued) :P
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:
Nano wrote:could you be any more convolutedly wrong?
Just watch me!

You're right. Doug T is right. I am wrong.

Mea culpa.

djm

(at least I've owned Cold Blow and the Rainy Night since it was first issued) :P
:lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Cynth wrote:
There is a bronze plaque in the lobby of the administration building at my alma mater that has the same gramatical error, confusing "it's" and "its". You have to admit, its one gramatical rule that is easy to make if you aren't paying attention.
:lol: I do admit it, Doug, and furthermore, I admit that I'm sure the professor could easily fix his or her mistake and I could never, ever comprehend anything about that proton, even with the hint.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Cynth wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:
Cynth wrote:Hint: Change "it's" to "its".
:lol: I do admit it, Doug, and furthermore, I admit that I'm sure the professor could easily fix his or her mistake and I could never, ever comprehend anything about that proton, even with the hint.
I have been expecting someone to see and report on the error in my second sentence above, but evidently its not easy to spot unless its something that you are looking for.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Cynth wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote: There is a bronze plaque in the lobby of the administration building at my alma mater that has the same gramatical error, confusing "it's" and "its". You have to admit, its one gramatical rule that is easy to make if you aren't paying attention.
I have been expecting someone to see and report on the error in my second sentence above, but evidently its not easy to spot unless its something that you are looking for.
Aw dang, I definitely saw the mistake but I figured that you were dangling bait in front of us and I wasn't going to bite :lol:. As you can see, I have now marked all (I hope) of your errors!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Cynth wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote: There is a bronze plaque in the lobby of the administration building at my alma mater that has the same gramatical error, confusing "it's" and "its". You have to admit, its one gramatical rule that is easy to make if you aren't paying attention.
Exactly. One possibility is that one is finally immune to it and just doesn't care anymore so far as others are concerned. I'll submit for discussion that, after all, the success of others doesn't depend on a spelling maven's gimlet eye unless there's a schooling grade involved. First, spelling mistakes don't usually confuse the message (although there've been some spectacular exceptions to the confusion thing, I've found); we see this time and again, and so glossing over what has by experience turned into minutiae is par for the course. Second, pay me. Then I'll care to ferret it out. The rest is spite.

And Doug, you did it again, by the way. :twisted:

Oh. Crap. Cynth beat me to it, and in color, no less.

*spite spite spite spite* :wink:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Don't forget, Doug spelled "grammatical" incorrectly (in the second sentence).

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org