Yay me!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

cowtime wrote:, and one got in my shoe, I forgot and ......(it got me in the toe in retaliation, swollen for about a week.
My brother went over to Viet Nam before I was old enough to take myself camping. When he came home, he was the one who taught me to always shake out one's boots/shoes before putting them on.

I also always keep my tent door zipped all the way. Snakes have been known to crawl in looking for warmth. Even if it isn't poisonous, I don't want to cuddle with snakes either.

But those Wolf spiders in your basement, what are they hunting down there?
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

I lived in a very old ramshackle house in Maine late one Fall. The weather got cold and the spiders moved indoors. Nothing like a spider walking across your cheek in the middle of the night, 5 or 6 times a night. It was war. Chemicals, poison sprays, shoot/squish on sight. Fortunately the house was mostly unheated and in a few weeks, the surviving spiders froze or hybernated or whatever they do.

I now respect the ecological value of spiders. I won't go out of my way to harm them. But if they get too close....
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

hyldemoer wrote: But those Wolf spiders in your basement, what are they hunting down there?
Wolves, isn't it?

...or are they radio fans of the Wolfman?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

I don't believe it, you fell for that old trick! Whilst you were struggling to get the 'decoy' spider out into the garden, the rest of the pride were sneaking in through the open door, behind you back. They are now waiting in dark places for you to be alone again, then they will wreak their terrible revenge!
:twisted: :puppyeyes: :D
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

perrins57 wrote:I don't believe it, you fell for that old trick! Whilst you were struggling to get the 'decoy' spider out into the garden, the rest of the pride were sneaking in through the open door, behind you back. They are now waiting in dark places for you to be alone again, then they will wreak their terrible revenge!
:twisted: :puppyeyes: :D
:o I'm not reading this post....I'm not reading this post!!!!

::goes off to sit in the corner...mumbling something about spiders and exterminators::
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

( rustle rustle rustle ouch! sorry rustle rustle ... )

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
HampshireWhistler

Post by HampshireWhistler »

Spiders don't belong in the house! Kill! Kill! Kill! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

HampshireWhistler wrote:Spiders don't belong in the house! Kill! Kill! Kill! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Hey! Don't you DARE post in MY thread...I'm mad at you. :P

P.S. Mr Izz (and I DARE you to call him that :twisted: ) got your message too...he's just getting hammered with midterms right now. He'll call you back as soon as he can
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
HampshireWhistler

Post by HampshireWhistler »

By the way...when did you start smoking? :D I think even St. Francis himself would go along with killing some creatures. At least the evil looking ones. House flies come to mind. You can verify that with mister Izz, he being well read on the lore of St. Francis. If the flies go then there is no need for spiders any longer. Kill! Kill! Kill! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
djm

Post by djm »

With nothing else to hand, spiders are quite happy to make do eating each other, thenk yew very much.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

But those Wolf spiders in your basement, what are they hunting down there?
They are not in my basement. I don't have a basement. I don't have even a crawlspace under the front- it's too narrow for a human to get between those huge logs that were used for floor joists and the ground . In the fall, the wolf spiders move from Under the house to inside the house( to stay warm I suppose). They are not allowed to live inside my house! : :swear: Not those monsters!

As to what they are hunting? Well, on occasion we've had rabbits living under there, so I would guess they are feasting on rabbit. I just wish they'd make some little spidery rabbit fur lined coats so they did not feel the need to come inside when it starts getting cold.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I live right next to a woods with a small swamp. We have so many spiders it's appalling. Since they outlawed diazanon nothing works to get rid of the horrible buggers. Now that we have tree frogs living under our porch I can't spray anyway. At least they keep the spider population under control.

I've had them drop out of my bike handle bars while riding.
Every morning I have to recon the porch to make sure none of them are waiting to drop on me when I go to work. I have to clean the swing set for the grand kids every time they come over because they make their lairs of doom on a daily basis.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:I have to clean the swing set for the grand kids every time they come over because they make their lairs of doom on a daily basis.
The spiders that crack me up are the ones who weave their webs across hiking trails. Optimistic little buggers, I'll give 'em that.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

izzarina wrote:
chrisoff wrote:Now I just know I'll wake up in the middle of the night thinking there's a frickin spider on my ceiling or something.
I've had nightmares about that :boggle:

As you may or may not care to know, I am taking 5 classes this semester. The strain on my behind from sitting at my desk is taking its toll, so I have taken to studying in bed.

Last weekend, as has become my weekend custom, I awakened early, made coffee, returned to the bedroom with it, and placed it on the nightstand. I got two extra-fat pillows from a wicker basket in the corner and stacked them up with the ones I'd slept on. I got another to stuff under my knees. I got a book, a highlighter, a pen with pressurized ink that writes even upside down, and my reading glasses. I put the glasses on and stacked up the rest on the bed. I got my cushion-bottom lap desk from beside the nightstand, climbed into bed, arranged myself in the pile of pillows, dragged up a duvet, fluffed it around myself -- it was about 50 degrees with the windows open -- arranged the lap desk at an optimal angle, opened the book onto it, and commenced to read. I sipped a bit of coffee, highlighted some bits, then lifted my left arm to turn the page.

At which point, I began to become aware that my subconscious was registering "too many legs." Legs which abruptly came into my peripheral vision from under my left arm, attached to a wolf spider roughly the size of a tea saucer. It was climbing up the pillow en route to my bosum.

I exploded out of the bed, throwing duvet, lap desk, books, and pens across the room. There were bad words involved. I did the heebie dance long enough to ascertain that the thing was still on my pillow, at which point I snatched up something -- I have no idea what -- and slammed it flat. Repeatedly. It was a brown smudge by the time I finished.

I was unable to get back in the bed. I disposed of the wicker basket -- the presumptive abode of this creature -- laundered all the linen, sent the Roomba in to vacuum, and pulled out all the furniture to inspect and spray underneath.

That night, I was unable to sleep, there or anywhere. The next several nights, I awakened repeatedly with nightmares.

I have since been able to get back into bed, but only after taking off all the linens and replacing them. I can't get dressed without shaking out my clothes and shoes. I examine towels on both sides before using them.

Tonight, I was shopping for shoes and caught myself avoiding closed-toe models because it's too hard to see spiders in them. I decided to just wear sandals from now on.

I see spiders everywhere.

At work, I have a CD of a tropical rainshower. I brought it home to play while I'm sleeping so I don't have to hear them, too.
Cotelette d'Agneau
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Lambchop wrote: I exploded out of the bed, throwing duvet, lap desk, books, and pens across the room. There were bad words involved. I did the heebie dance long enough to ascertain that the thing was still on my pillow, at which point I snatched up something -- I have no idea what -- and slammed it flat. Repeatedly. It was a brown smudge by the time I finished.
I see spiders everywhere.
Ahh, there's nothing like the time honoured 'measured response'. Just as well you didn't over-react! If you hadn't of killed that savage predator, you may have been the victim of a severe, almost imperceptible walking on.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)