For Tolkien fans...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Loren wrote:Yeah I was hardcore, but the Silmarillion killed it for me. Oh well. You guys enjoy, I'll wait for the reviews.....

Loren
Thank you. I was afraid to be the only one to say that, because then I get..."no! The Silmarillion was, like, total immersion man! You must not be a true believer!"

It was a trudge. Like reading geneologies in the Old Testament.
I'll wait for the reviews as well.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:
Loren wrote:Yeah I was hardcore, but the Silmarillion killed it for me.
Ditto. The Silmarillion had all the swash-and-buckle of the genealogies in Deuteronomy, I thought. I don't recall that I even finished it.
Aaaak! It happened again! I hadn't read through all the posts, I swear!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Loren wrote:Yeah I was hardcore, but the Silmarillion killed it for me.
Ditto. The Silmarillion had all the swash-and-buckle of the genealogies in Deuteronomy, I thought. I don't recall that I even finished it.
Aaaak! It happened again! I hadn't read through all the posts, I swear!
You're spooky. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

You both are sad, really sad. :lol:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:You both are sad, really sad. :lol:
It is a special and rarified frequency to which we tune, JES. Don't go getting jealous just because your dial isn't sensitive enough. :lol:
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

JES's dial fell off. Mine, however, goes all the way up to 11. Bwa-ha-ha-ha! :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings are only a small part of the legendarium which Tolkien created.

There are other tales of breathaking grandeur and heartbreaking beauty in the Silmarillion and the other posthumously published works...but they aren't handed to you "on a platter" in the way that LOTR is. You have to work for them.

Those of us who know the story of the Tale of Beren and Luthien known how rewarding that work can be.

Those of us who have gone further than that know what is inscribed on the Tolkien's gravestones.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
emmline

Post by emmline »

peeplj wrote:There are other tales of breathaking grandeur and heartbreaking beauty in the Silmarillion and the other posthumously published works...but they aren't handed to you "on a platter" in the way that LOTR is. You have to work for them.
No, no...quite right. I like my hobbits on a platter.
peeplj wrote:Those of us who have gone further than that know what is inscribed on the Tolkien's gravestones.
But I know what's written in wood glue on the inside of the drawer of the old desk our eMac sits on.
Last edited by emmline on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

emmline wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:You both are sad, really sad. :lol:
It is a special and rarified frequency to which we tune, JES. Don't go getting jealous just because your dial isn't sensitive enough. :lol:
... actually, it fell off.
djm wrote:JES's dial fell off. Mine, however, goes all the way up to 11. Bwa-ha-ha-ha! :twisted:

djm
... see? What did I tell ya'? :D
Denny

Post by Denny »

emmline wrote:
peeplj wrote:There are other tales of breathaking grandeur and heartbreaking beauty in the Silmarillion and the other posthumously published works...but they aren't handed to you "on a platter" in the way that LOTR is. You have to work for them.
No, no...quite right. I like my hobbits on a platter.
wine sauce? :wink:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I may have mentioned this before around here but..

Six or seven times, over the past thirty years, I have picked up LOTR, and gave it up about a third of the way into the first book.
I just can't get past that point without thinking to myself that Life is to short to bother with all this stuff.
The Hobbit I enjoyed very much.

LOTR has always struck me as a kinda Star Wars for those who were around before SFX.

I fell asleep in the Cinema, five minutes into the first fillum..

No disrespect to JJ, but it ain't for me (which probably explains it's world wide appeal) :oops:

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have a first edition first printing of The Silmarillion. It has some wonderful moments and some that are, well, tedious reading. But it is a nice collectors item. It has a mistake in the credits and was pulled from the shelves after I got mine.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Put me in the pile that tried to make it through the Sillmarillion and just couldn't. I loved the others and remember being excited when "S" came out, that is, until I tried to wade through the thing.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

One can't be a hardcore Tolkien fan without at least having read the Silmarillion to completion... Enjoying it is another matter. :D

In fact I do enjoy it, but I have to get past the first few old-Testamentish chapters and into the main action of the story.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

peeplj wrote: Those of us who have gone further than that know what is inscribed on the Tolkien's gravestones.

--James
Yes indeed.
This is probably letting people who haven't read the Silmarillion off easy, but, then again, it may inspire some interest in others who have yet to read it.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown