contest: let's see how off topic & back again you can ge

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

contest: let's see how off topic & back again you can ge

Post by mutepointe »

hey folks: sometimes you folks are really helpful when someone asks a question. sometimes you all jump right off topic and never quite answer a person but the thread sure has some interesting tales. here's the contest. let's see if we can get from one topic to another and back again in less than 20 replies.

1. the topic to start with and get back to: i have recently be plagued with slugs coming into my house. what is happening here? i've lived here (southern west virginia) 10 years and have never had this problem. i grew up in the north (pennsylvania) and have lived in the south for 20 years. there are all kinds of different insects, bugs, and plants down here and i don't know what is going on.

2. the topic to reach and return from: who do you think the most famous person is who plays the pennywhistle but is not famous for playing the pennywhistle?

get ready, get set, go?

happy labor day.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I don't know about southern west virginia, but you can learn about how they deal with Irish slugs (in Ireland) here:

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about100.html
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Patrick Stewart.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Sinéad O'Connor plays pennywhistle and is not famous for playing pennywhistle. She plays Overtons.

Don't bother the slugs. They are harmless. Don't kill them, because you won't ever get rid of them. I lived there for 20 years and they're just a part of the enviroment that won't go away, except in winter when they sleep.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Kill slugs with beer...
kill brain cells with lots of beer...
everybody's happy! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
emmline

Post by emmline »

This is a true story. Once, about 10 years ago when what is now our kitchen was nothing more than an unfinished addition with a plywood floor for the kids to get splinters from, I came downstairs one morning to a rather strange phenomenon.
Within the boundaries of this plywood-floored room, roughly 30'x20', were about 25 slugs of all sizes, evenly distributed in their slow oozy explorations. I carefully scooped each one up with a spatula and released them into the great outdoors. This had never happened before, and has never happened since. I think Sponge Bob, playing a whistle riff on his nose, is pretty famous.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I would move your beer fridge off your front porch, that should stop the slugs from coming in.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Hey guys, check out my new car. I used it to run over some slugs driving chevys last night.

(btw, yeah, true story, i traded the Challenger for the Mustang...I've broken my Mopars only rule, but the Mouse-tang is worth about 10k more than my Dodge was, and with that I can get maybe a 1970 440 Challenger...)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

In the UK, slugs in houses is nothing unusual. In fact in London it's practically de rigeur. My house in Buckinghamshire is built very close to a stream, and is actually situated over a spring.
We have slugs in the kitchen from time to time. Once my wife came down to the kitchen in the middle of the night and stepped on a slug in total darkness in her bare feet. Nice!
Keep your kitchen as dry as possible and make sure there is no food left uncovered overnight. This goes for cupboards as well. If there are (say) open bags of flour with the paper folded over, this presents a simple challenge for a slug. In fact, clean out the cupboards and make sure that everything is in sealed, sealable containers. Cardboard is not good. Soggy cardboard is very bad. Slugs can eat through paper. Use tins or tupperware.
Make sure the cat-food bowl is emptied at night. Slugs like catfood. There were times we would come down in the morning and empty slugs out of the catfood bowl. (The cats were very unimpressed.)

As Tyler suggests, Beer traps are effective.

You can also try to plug up every single hole in the ceiling, walls & floor. You can spend your entire life doing this. But it is often the case that you find a leaky pipe - mains cold to washing-machine, or mains cold to dishwasher, which serves as a slug-incentive. Fix the leaks and the slugs don't come around any more.

We haven't had slugs in a while. Mind you, we've had a drought in this part of the country.

I was going to say Patrick Stewart, as a fissler otherwise famis.
Brendan Behan?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Lambchop

Re: contest: let's see how off topic & back again you ca

Post by Lambchop »

mutepointe wrote:i have recently be plagued with slugs coming into my house. what is happening here? i've lived here (southern west virginia) 10 years and have never had this problem. i grew up in the north (pennsylvania) and have lived in the south for 20 years. there are all kinds of different insects, bugs, and plants down here and i don't know what is going on.

You're leaving the door open for them. Something has changed about your house that prevents a door or window or something from sealing.

Follow the shiny trails and see where they're getting in at.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

I only ever heard Jean-Luc-Pickard playing "frere Jacque" on the whistle!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Innocent Bystander

Re: contest: let's see how off topic & back again you ca

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Lambchop wrote: You're leaving the door open for them. Something has changed about your house that prevents a door or window or something from sealing.

Follow the shiny trails and see where they're getting in at.
Slugs don't need much of an opening. A pinhole will permit access to a large slug.

I don't see much evidence of thread variation here.
You've pinned down both ends of the thread, Mutepoint, and it can't flap. We can't take it anywhere.
There's no way out!
We're trapped, I tell you, trapped!
We're going to die here!

Noooooo!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

What if Jabba the Hutt plays whistle? We don't know that he doesn't!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

O.K.

How did the word for a slimey little horror become associated with hitting somebody, as in "Slugging it out"?

...drift away...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats