12 records

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

12 records

Post by Jack »

Before my excursion resumes, I wanted to ask a quick question.

I've come across these 12 old-fashioned style records.

Do you think any of them are valuable? If not, what should I do with them?

Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The Shirley Temple album has got to be worth something, wouldn't ya' think? Out of the albums there, the music from The Sting, is the best. There's nothing that can make me feel so good or so bad as Scott Joplin's music.
missy

Post by missy »

we owned the record from the "Sting". I wonder what every happened to it????
(not that I have a turntable to play it on anyway....)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Skeet range fodder. Or, try searching on ebay.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
djm

Post by djm »

Yes, I'd agree on the eBay option. I personally would deep-six the lot of them, but you never know what suckers you'll find on the web. I mean, someone must have bought these originally. You may as well profit from these if they are in good to excellent condition. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

You would have to be collector of vinyl LP's to know if any of these are valuable, or not. I doubt it, however. Cran, these 33 rpm, long-playing vinyl records (about 20-30 minutes per side) were considered new-style when I was young. When I was a child, listening to my parents records, all of our records were the heavy 78 rpm records that usually only played one tune per side. When I was in high school the smaller 45 rpm records with the large hole in the center were popular. I remember for Christmas one year I received a 45 rpm collection of classical music (edited to fit on one side of the small records). It wasn't until I was in high school that the 33 rpm long-playing records were being introduced. I built a stereo amplifier from a kit, and with my Gerard turntable and speakers with 12 inch woofers, I thought that I had a state-of-the-art system in my parents living room. So, Cran, when you call these records old-fashioned, it makes me feel old, for I remember them being very new.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

erm.. i still play my vinyl regularly :oops:

Cran, could you check the pastoral christmas LP and see if there is any pipes played on it?

Also the Dulcimer LP might be of interest on the stringed instrument forum!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Heh. Been a while since I saw those black and white Musical Heritage Society album covers. My brother used to give me those for Christmas and my birthday every year. (If it was one he especially liked, he would carefully slit the plastic and listen to the album first. "To make sure it's okay," he told me when I called him on it. Ah, memories). I appreciated it, though; not such a bad way to start a classical collection when you're just a pup.

I think I had that "Christmas Carols" LP. If I once owned it, I doubt it's worth anything-- (I'm not that old). :oops:
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Have them framed and if they don't fit into your decor give them away as birthday and holiday presents.
lenf

Post by lenf »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:There's nothing that can make me feel so good or so bad as Scott Joplin's music.
As a lifelong fan of Joplin (I grew up within a couple of miles of his family home, and used to play an old upright he'd played on in Beasley's Music, in Texarkana...), I've got to ask... what do you find in Scott's music to make you feel so bad at times?

I've been moved to tears by a great performance of Solace, thinking of the incredible obstacles the man had to face in his life and art, but the overriding theme has always been, well, solace.

Just curious.
"Clapham, like all cities, is built over a volcano." G.K. Chesterton
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I still have the Sting album around someplace. And I have a turntable. I should listen to it sometime.

Cran, if you do decide to frame them I know Michael's craft store sells frames made just the right size.
Charlene
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

MarkB wrote:Skeet range fodder. Or, try searching on ebay.

MarkB
Skeet.

That's what my husband and his cousin did with the stacks fo 78s that went with their(now our) old Victrola. He sure wishes he hadn't done that now.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: Out of the albums there, the music from The Sting, is the best.
IyourHO, huh? You put that stuff above Mozart and Stravinsky? I admire your conviction if not your execrable taste!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
lenf

Post by lenf »

SteveShaw wrote:You put that stuff above Mozart and Stravinsky? I admire your conviction if not your execrable taste!
Now, now, now... Joplin's music was heard with far more appreciative ears in Europe than in America of his day. An American classical conductor who became Joplin's friend once claimed that he would have likely been a more major figure in music had he received classical training. Given the social mores of the time, it is fairly amazing that Joplin was able to attend music classes long enough to learn to read and write music and study harmony, given that he had to spend his evenings playing in houses of, well, less than wholly honorable repute.

True, Joplin did not write the wonders of Mozart, but if Wolfgang had been born a black child in Texarkana, Texas in the late 1800s, would he?

Oh, and sure, above Stravinsky in any case. :)
"Clapham, like all cities, is built over a volcano." G.K. Chesterton
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

lenf wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:You put that stuff above Mozart and Stravinsky? I admire your conviction if not your execrable taste!
Now, now, now... Joplin's music was heard with far more appreciative ears in Europe than in America of his day. An American classical conductor who became Joplin's friend once claimed that he would have likely been a more major figure in music had he received classical training. Given the social mores of the time, it is fairly amazing that Joplin was able to attend music classes long enough to learn to read and write music and study harmony, given that he had to spend his evenings playing in houses of, well, less than wholly honorable repute.

True, Joplin did not write the wonders of Mozart, but if Wolfgang had been born a black child in Texarkana, Texas in the late 1800s, would he?

Oh, and sure, above Stravinsky in any case. :)
Humph. Joplin? How four-square can you get? :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!