Why is it that Americans say "I could care less"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
ICohen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Why is it that Americans say "I could care less"

Post by ICohen »

when they obviously mean that they couldn't?

No, I'm not having a go at our American colegues, it's just that I'm really curious why they say it that way. I figured that we might have a reasonable sample of Americans here and that someone might be able to satisfy my curiosity.

You see, in Australia we say "I couldn't care less", which means that our care factor has reached rock bottom and couln't be any less. It sort of makes sense that way.

It seems that Americans choose instead to say "I could care less". Is it because they've reached a particular point of not caring and can't be bothered caring less or is it something else? It doesn't really make sense to me so I'm wondering if someone can explain it?

Ian
I could be wrong. It's happened before.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

One theory is it is an ironic statement.

My own theory is that people get told this no double negatives bit so much, with regards to can't hardly that they also apply it to care less.
Reasonable person
Walden
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

My theory: American's have lazy mouths, and gradually forgot that the phrase is actually, "couldn't care less." A bit like when people type, "I would of done that," or something similar.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
emmline

Post by emmline »

I don't know why people say it. I don't. I remember when people began to substitute that phrase for "I couldn't care less." It sounded really dumb to me, even as a youngster.
Congratulations wrote:My theory: American's have lazy mouths, and gradually forgot that the phrase is actually, "couldn't care less." A bit like when people type, "I would of done that," or something similar.
Agreed. Most people, I guess, don't really analyse what they say, they just copy what they hear. Or what they think they hear.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My sister went one step further. She said, "I couldn't care a less."

She also spelled it 'alot'
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
ICohen

Post by ICohen »

emmline wrote:I don't know why people say it. I don't. I remember when people began to substitute that phrase for "I couldn't care less." It sounded really dumb to me, even as a youngster.
So it's quite a recent thing, then? Is it because Americans have become more caring as a society? They once couldn't care less but now they care a bit?

Ian
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I could care less if there was a reason for it or not.

Well, see there! I'm a "could care less" person. Intellectually, I know it's "couldn't care less," but what I've always heard, and used, is "could care less."

It's just one of those things like having your cake and eating it too. It's just something to say.

Oh, dear! Now I'll be paranoid about saying it. That's not good, because I have a big meeting tomorrow and I had been planning on raising my eyebrows, doing an "I'm, like, over this!" thing with my hands, and saying "You know what? I could care less."

Now I'll have to think of something else to say.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Why is it that Americans say "I could care less&quo

Post by kkrell »

ICohen wrote:when they obviously mean that they couldn't?

No, I'm not having a go at our American colegues, it's just that I'm really curious why they say it that way. I figured that we might have a reasonable sample of Americans here and that someone might be able to satisfy my curiosity.

You see, in Australia we say "I couldn't care less", which means that our care factor has reached rock bottom and couln't be any less. It sort of makes sense that way.

It seems that Americans choose instead to say "I could care less". Is it because they've reached a particular point of not caring and can't be bothered caring less or is it something else? It doesn't really make sense to me so I'm wondering if someone can explain it?

Ian
Ian,
You're starting with an inaccurate premise, I think. I (an American) say "I couldn't care less", and that is usually what I hear around me. You must have encountered defective Americans. Please return them to where you purchased them, and your money will be refunded.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
ICohen

Re: Why is it that Americans say "I could care less&

Post by ICohen »

kkrell wrote: Ian,
You're starting with an inaccurate premise, I think. I (an American) say "I couldn't care less", and that is usually what I hear around me. You must have encountered defective Americans. Please return them to where you purchased them, and your money will be refunded.

Kevin Krell
Please note that I didn't specify "All Americans", but I had no idea as to the extent of this phenomenon to determine if I should have specified "All Americans", "Some Americans", "A Couple of Americans" or "An American". I have nothing to say about the rest of your post, however.
ICohen

Post by ICohen »

Lambchop wrote:I could care less if there was a reason for it or not.

Well, see there! I'm a "could care less" person. Intellectually, I know it's "couldn't care less," but what I've always heard, and used, is "could care less."

It's just one of those things like having your cake and eating it too. It's just something to say.

Oh, dear! Now I'll be paranoid about saying it. That's not good, because I have a big meeting tomorrow and I had been planning on raising my eyebrows, doing an "I'm, like, over this!" thing with my hands, and saying "You know what? I could care less."

Oops, sorry.

Why don't you say "I couldn't care less" and see what happens. Maybe the meeting will become a discussion on whether you should be saying "I could care less" or "I couldn't care less" and everyone will forget what the meeting was originally about...

Ian
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I was an English major at university. In a grammar and usage class we studied this and saw where the use had shifted from "could not care less" to "could care less." Probably out of laziness, or a shift by analogy (such as the change in some people's use from "regardless" to "irregardless" -- a shift by confusing it with "irrespective"). I don't remember.

Funny how language works.
Keith
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

ICohen wrote:
kkrell wrote: Ian,

Kevin Krell
Please note that I didn't specify "All Americans", but I had no idea as to the extent of this phenomenon to determine if I should have specified "All Americans", "Some Americans", "A Couple of Americans" or "An American". I have nothing to say about the rest of your post, however.
Ian may be observing and listening to the same Americans as I do - the ones on the TV. They aren't even up-to-date Americans: some of them go back ten years and even longer. But the usage on the Television screen, in sitcoms and thrillers, is unanimously "I could care less."
Thank you for reassuring us that REAL Americans (except Lambchop) do not speak in this way.

On a related issue, it used to bemuse me in the the "Spenser" novels by Robert B. Parker, set in Boston, that the author had a grammatical shift in the course of his writing.
In the early books, he would say "Me either". This would be in response to a negative observation, such as "I would never beat a man senseless on a first date."
In one book it said "Me neither." Yurpeens would only say "Me neither".
Later he returned to using "Me either." And I've only just realised that the single exception may well have been a misprint.
So, populace of the NorthWest Continent! I would never use this statement. Would you?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Well, I (an American) could care less..... but I don't.

M :party:
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Lambchop wrote:I could care less if there was a reason for it or not.

"Baa" is a good fall back utterance for any lamb.

Mr Cohen, Americans don't need to speak precisely or correctly
because everyone else should know just what they mean
and if they don't they are not worth knowing.

In your case, I would venture to say that most here understood what you meant in your first post notwithstanding it is replete with spelling errors.
Perhaps they were typos but I don't want to nitpick. Australians, as a generality, hate nitpickers.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Innocent Bystander wrote:In the early books, he would say "Me either". This would be in response to a negative observation, such as "I would never beat a man senseless on a first date."
In one book it said "Me neither." Yurpeens would only say "Me neither".
Later he returned to using "Me either." And I've only just realised that the single exception may well have been a misprint.
So, populace of the NorthWest Continent! I would never use this statement. Would you?
I would use either one - to me, they mean the same thing and the difference is just ease of pronounciation. I probably switch back and forth every time I use the phrase, depending on what other things I've been pronouncing in the conversation.

(My American linguistic background: mostly northeast US with a scattering of influence across the whole northern US due to moving around and some influence from relatives who are from the NYC area.)