The Cup

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Sliabh Luachra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Cup

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Merde! :swear:
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
Jack

Post by Jack »

Why are English obscenities blocked out, but others aren't? Hmm...

Scheiße, Scheiße, Scheiße! :P
Lambchop
antispam: No

Re: The Cup

Post by Lambchop »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:Merde! :swear:
My sympathies are with you . . . whatever the reason for your angst . . . I think.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I thought this was a thread about bra size.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Flyingcursor wrote:I thought this was a thread about bra size.
That's not what I thought.

oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D nope! I'm not gonna say it! :D
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Bravissimo, Azzurris, say I. Much the better team throughout the tournament. France did manage to shut 'em down in the second half admittedly, but they could not breach the Italian defence in spite of their much-vaunted superstars. They only got the lead by dint of a softie penalty. No-one has scored against Italy in open play in the whole tournament (except for one own-goal). And Zinedine, you who above all others should know how to act like a grown man - do me a favour, pal! He managed single-handedly to sour the whole thing. He'd better have a good excuse tomorrow. :evil:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

SteveShaw wrote:Bravissimo, Azzurris, say I. Much the better team throughout the tournament. France did manage to shut 'em down in the second half admittedly, but they could not breach the Italian defence in spite of their much-vaunted superstars. They only got the lead by dint of a softie penalty. No-one has scored against Italy in open play in the whole tournament (except for one own-goal). And Zinedine, you who above all others should know how to act like a grown man - do me a favour, pal! He managed single-handedly to sour the whole thing. He'd better have a good excuse tomorrow. :evil:
I wonder what the other guy said... :-?

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

dubhlinn wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:Bravissimo, Azzurris, say I. Much the better team throughout the tournament. France did manage to shut 'em down in the second half admittedly, but they could not breach the Italian defence in spite of their much-vaunted superstars. They only got the lead by dint of a softie penalty. No-one has scored against Italy in open play in the whole tournament (except for one own-goal). And Zinedine, you who above all others should know how to act like a grown man - do me a favour, pal! He managed single-handedly to sour the whole thing. He'd better have a good excuse tomorrow. :evil:

Slan,
Me too. He could have said something very nasty I suppose, about Zizou's come-froms or something. But that sort of needle goes on all the time in sport, rightly or wrongly, and he above all others should know how to deal with it.

dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

SteveShaw wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:

Slan,
Me too. He could have said something very nasty I suppose, about Zizou's come-froms or something. But that sort of needle goes on all the time in sport, rightly or wrongly, and he above all others should know how to deal with it.
Just like Rooney.

Funny old game, innit?
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Yeah but Zidane is the French captain and supposedly a grand old man of the beautiful game, unlike "Wayne the Nutter." Anyhoo, no doubt we'll get explanations in the fullness of time.

Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Congratulations wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:I thought this was a thread about bra size.
That's not what I thought.

No, that would be cup, with a lower case "c". :lol:
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

SteveShaw wrote:And Zinedine, you who above all others should know how to act like a grown man - do me a favour, pal! He managed single-handedly to sour the whole thing. He'd better have a good excuse tomorrow. :evil:
I dunno, I thought he was being a gentleman by headbutting the guy in the chest, rather than the face Image I mean, the way Euro Football fans often go violently rampaging, I suppose it's all relative......

You have to admit though, it was quite the header Image

Loren
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I live in a mostly Italian section of Montreal (ours was the only French flag hanging on the balcony for blocks around), and the mayhem yesterday afternoon was quite impressive! Screams, cheers, horns honking nonstop until midnight, people driving down the street playing the Italian National Anthem at full blast on their car stereos, fireworks.

A few photos from yesterday (taken by Kate McDonnell, Montreal's premier blogger, or bloggeuse, as she calls herself):

Last edited by bradhurley on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Loren wrote:You have to admit though, it was quite the header Image
Yeah, one can see the French have been practicing their headers pretty intensive.

But yes, Zidane was undoubtably provoked (verbally or even by being pinched, as reported in some media), but even so: It was probably the single most stupid thing I have ever seen a player do in football.

Not only getting send off for assaulting someone, which we see all too often, but 1) doing so in the very last match of one's career, 2) doing so in a World Cup final, and 3) doing so mere minutes before the deciding penalty shootout, where one is bound to have a central role... Sigh. I am sure Zidane must have felt pretty depressed once his blood stopped boiling.

Too bad for the team I was rooting for, but at least the Italians showed us some excellent football as well.