piercings

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

I have pierced:

Nothing.
57%
Just my ears.
27%
My nose.
No votes
My eyebrow(s).
No votes
My lip(s).
No votes
My tongue.
1%
More than one of the above.
4%
Something else (please explain, if appropriate).
8%
Other answer (please explain, if appropriate).
3%

Total votes: 75

Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

No piercings, never wanted any.

It does seem to me that many people (not all) get piercings as a result of social pressures from their peer group, or parents (especially baby girls having pierced ears), or because they are going through a life change and want to mark their new persona, and that they come to regret the decision later.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Decorating the body goes back to time immemorial. Everybody do whatever you like. I'll just stick with my Tilley hat with the three silly badges on the front. :D

(And that's National Harmonica League, fiddler! :lol: )
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

It's interesting that no one's had their eyebrow, nose, lip etc pierced without also having their ears done (based on the poll results). Looks like ears are the gateway drug of the piercing world...
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

avanutria wrote:It's interesting that no one's had their eyebrow, nose, lip etc pierced without also having their ears done (based on the poll results). Looks like ears are the gateway drug of the piercing world...
I suspect that you are correct in this. I also think that drawing on oneself as a teenager is the gateway drug to tatoos. :D
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hm, I never got a tattoo but I drew on myself with markers when I was about 4. My mother's response was to make sure all my markers were the "washable" sort. :D

That said, I have thought about a tattoo but never seriously, as I change my mind far too often to be fully confident in a tattoo selection.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

avanutria wrote:Hm, I never got a tattoo but I drew on myself with markers when I was about 4. My mother's response was to make sure all my markers were the "washable" sort. :D

That said, I have thought about a tattoo but never seriously, as I change my mind far too often to be fully confident in a tattoo selection.
My wife always wanted a tatoo, but never drummed up the courage to get one. Recently, she took the plunge and got a rather nice tatoo of a cute little gekko (designed by herself) on the top of her left foot. Now she wants more. :lol:

I do not have any tatoos, but someday I may also take the plunge.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

fiddleronvermouth wrote: I used to carry all kinds of coloured bandanas in one or the other of my back pockets. Lord knows what I was telling the world.

(note: url is not family friendly "material", so to speak).
Thanks for that link Fiddler. I always wondered what that stuff meant.
I think I'll make up my own list of signals using different colored socks.

If I'm in England I'll use different coloured socks.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

avanutria wrote:It's interesting that no one's had their eyebrow, nose, lip etc pierced without also having their ears done (based on the poll results). Looks like ears are the gateway drug of the piercing world...
Actually, in my case the first was my eyebrow, then my nose, and only then my ears.
LadyDi

Post by LadyDi »

I had to choose the disappointingly vague answer of "Something Else."

I have an industrial bar in my left ear, an orbital and a tragus in my right ear, two lobe piercings in each, both nipples display large silver rings, and I used to have five piercings surrounding my navel, all of which have been removed.

For the uninitiated:
Industrial bar: http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/01-ear/A6 ... 296739.jpg

Orbital (the lower one): http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/01-ear/A6 ... 293414.jpg

Tragus: http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/01-ear/A6 ... 292809.jpg

And I'll refrain from posting pictures of nipple rings :sniffle:
Es ist, daß eine Freude versteckt zu werden aber eine Katastrophe, nicht gefunden zu werden. - Donald Winnicott
djm

Post by djm »

Thanks. That is just so gross I probably won't have an appetite for supper tonight. I can't help it. Piercings just give me the creeps.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I think that's pretty cool.

LadyDi, there's something funny about your signature line. Where'd you get it.
/Bloomfield
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Bloomfield wrote:I think that's pretty cool.

LadyDi, there's something funny about your signature line. Where'd you get it.
From Donald Winnicott, silly! Sez so right there!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
LadyDi

Post by LadyDi »

Right, but Winnicott himself didn't translate the German. A non-native German speaker translated it, hence the "odd" aspect.
Es ist, daß eine Freude versteckt zu werden aber eine Katastrophe, nicht gefunden zu werden. - Donald Winnicott
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Googling suggest this Winnicott quote:
It is a joy to be hidden, but it is a disaster not to be found.

That "to be hidden" is tricky to translate because it is ambiguous between "being hidden through the efforts of another" and "the state of being concealed." In German, those would be expressed differently.

If the latter is right, here's how I'd render it in German:

Verborgen zu sein ist eine Freude, doch nicht gefunden zu werden eine Katastrophe.
/Bloomfield
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

LadyDi wrote: I have an industrial bar in my left ear, an orbital and a tragus in my right ear, two lobe piercings in each, both nipples display large silver rings, and I used to have five piercings surrounding my navel, all of which have been removed.
Getting through airport security must have been -- may still be! -- an interesting experience for you.

For the sake of clarity:

Though I no longer wear one, I did have an earring for a while back in my college days. I got it because, while my friends were getting piercings and coming home to horrified parents, my mother looked at me one day and said, "You know, you'd look good with an earring. You should get one!" I told her I'd do it if she paid for it. And she did, so I did, but I removed it fairly quickly -- within a few months -- because I could not stop playing with the thing. Drove me up a tree.

I do, though, have several tattoos, and a couple more in process. Does being pierced thousands of times by a tattooing needle count?

(I had to have an MRI done a while back, and a friend of mine warned me in advance that he'd heard stories of tattoos exploding out of skin, or at least being damaged, during an MRI due to the iron content in tattoo inks. I was skeptical, and asked the MRI tech beforehand. "Oh, bosh!", she said, which was the first time I really heard anyone use that phrase in real life. I liked her immediately. The tattoos didn't explode, by the way.)