grammar question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Pick one.

May you both have a great summer!
61%
May you both have great summers!
14%
Other (please explain).
25%

Total votes: 28

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

SteveShaw wrote:
Walden wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:If we carry on arguing about this the summer will have gone anyway and we'll all be wishing each other merry Christmases.
May all your Christmases be white.
Ah, but you see he doesn't mean the same Christmas for a lot of people - he means a lot of Christmases, one after the other, for either one or an unspecified number of people. That quote could almost be interpreted as a potential thread hijack... :D
...or racist. :lol:

(Utterly ridiculous, of course. You all know I have my perverse moments. :) )
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I don't know about you, but I think I'd get a little scared if black snow fell from the sky.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Given you seem to have all ignored my earlier illuminating post, let me come again from a different tack.

When I bid one person good night, I utter, "Good Night".
When I bid more than one person good night, I utter, "Good Night".

I swear at the Udder of a Holy Cow that I have never ever uttered "Good Nights" to a group of friends. I do not recall any of the Marist Brothers who taught me English Grammar when I was a child ever doing this either. More appropriately, at school assembly, Father Malarchy(?) never said, "Good Mornings Boys".

I think we were taught the grammar of the Queen's English in the British colony where I was schooled. That is probably why I am minded like Steve Shaw on this issue.

Let common sense prevail. (translated for certain American types: Let common senses prevail).

:lol:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

talasiga wrote: I think we were taught the grammar of the Queen's English in the British colony where I was schooled. That is probably why I am minded like Steve Shaw on this issue.

Let common sense prevail. (translated for certain American types: Let common senses prevail).

Ah, a meeting of minds at last. On that note I should like to wish you all nice days today! :lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

SteveShaw wrote:
talasiga wrote: I think we were taught the grammar of the Queen's English in the British colony where I was schooled. That is probably why I am minded like Steve Shaw on this issue.

Ah, a meeting of minds at last. On that note I should like to wish you all nice days today! :lol:
What... I talk her majesties' Englishes too!
Cranberry wrote:I don't know about you, but I think I'd get a little scared if black snow fell from the sky.
Someone I knew who was on Luzon at the time of the big Pinatubo eruption described the ashfall as looking like grey snow.
SteveShaw wrote:Ah, but you see he doesn't mean the same Christmas for a lot of people - he means a lot of Christmases, one after the other, for either one or an unspecified number of people. That quote could almost be interpreted as a potential thread hijack... :D
I knowed that, but as long as you had brung up the subject of Christmas I thought I'd make reference.
Reasonable person
Walden
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

talasiga wrote:Given you seem to have all ignored my earlier illuminating post, ...
Which one? There have been so very many.
/Bloomfield
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

:lol: Oi, leave the poor chap! Can't you see he and I are agreeing here?

anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cranberry wrote:I don't know about you, but I think I'd get a little scared if black snow fell from the sky.
In the long ago, I was visiting New York City one wintery day when, in fact, the snow did come down gray! Yuck!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

SteveShaw wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Hmph. I never did like beards, anyway. :wink:
There's potential there I won't even begin to exploit. :D
Yer a sharp one, Mr. Shaw, I'd never doubt it. And a gentleman into the bargain. :D
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
perrins57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by perrins57 »

This is quite a drawn out discussion - by the time it's been resolved you'll have to wish them a happy autumn.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

perrins57 wrote:This is quite a drawn out discussion - by the time it's been resolved you'll have to wish them a happy autumn.
As you're addressing mostly Americans I think it falls to you to address them in their vernacular. :wink:

talasiga

Post by talasiga »

If every leaf has her own autumn
then, autumns' leaves are falling
but, if all leaves know but one fall
we enter but one winter
together

:party:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

talasiga wrote:Given you seem to have all ignored my earlier illuminating post, let me come again from a different tack.

When I bid one person good night, I utter, "Good Night".
When I bid more than one person good night, I utter, "Good Night".

I swear at the Udder of a Holy Cow that I have never ever uttered "Good Nights" to a group of friends. I do not recall any of the Marist Brothers who taught me English Grammar when I was a child ever doing this either. More appropriately, at school assembly, Father Malarchy(?) never said, "Good Mornings Boys".

I think we were taught the grammar of the Queen's English in the British colony where I was schooled. That is probably why I am minded like Steve Shaw on this issue.

This is correct. One would not say "summerS" unless you meant this summer, next summer, and the next.