Songs that MOVE you.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Whistling Pops
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistling Pops »

"Love Hurts," by Roy Orbison
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

I must admit few tunes have literally brought the tear to my eye, but there are a few that come to mind-

Pavarotti's Nessun Dorma does it every time. (and I have absoultely NO idea what he is singing/saying)

Run for the Roses by Dan Fogleberg(how cheezy is that?)

Mary Did you Know? by anyone

Theme from Harry's Game by Clannad

The Last Trip Home by Battlefield Band - one day I will paint the image this one gives me

Now for tunes that make you feel great, no matter how lousy the day has been?

again- Nessun Dorma
George Gershwin's Raphsody in Blue
American Woman by Led Zepplin
Keep My Skillet Good and Greasy by Uncle Dave Macon
the bass in Toad by Cream
1812 Overture
She Loves You by the Beatles
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Voodoo Child (slight return) by Hendrix

and all ITM
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

cowtime wrote:American Woman by Led Zepplin
Unless you know something I don't, that song is by the Guess Who. :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I use to feel a salty tear move from eye to cheek when Triona sang The Sailor Boy.
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

The one that realy gets me is "Alone again naturally" by Hurricane Smith - it gets me even worse since I learned his sad story.

After that - I am deeply touched by Frank Zappa's "little guitars" and "The Torture never stops" - You can feel the spectrum of his awareness of the cancer that killed him in those songs.

After that "Braugh Loch Uiall"(sp?) is the most touching pipe tune I ever heard - it has the deepest mellonchollie.

Just 2 weeks ago - I saw Mozaik do "the wedding song" which is deeply Ottoman greek. It was the last song of the performance - they played it with such sensitivity, that even though the entire crowd rose for a standing ovation, I couldn't stand or even move because I knew I would burst-out wailing. I sat for about 10 minutes or so before I could move.

Generally great and inspired performances totally floor me - whether they are sensitive movie soundtracks, honest songs or transported live performances - I have no defence for any of them.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Years ago, I turned in my oboe for a flute in the minicipal military band in the little town I lived in. While doing our usual solo demonstrations during the practice sessions, I did a version of "Summertime" (from Porgy and Bess) which reduced the bandleader to tears.

Just last night, I had some family and friends over for a party, someone started playing summertime on the guitar in Am and I found the C whistle carried it just as nice as I remember on the flute - it's nice to reach for that 3rd D :) It's also nice to sit silent for a few minutes with everyone sad-happy remembering the last note.
All the best!

mitch
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Mitch wrote:The one that realy gets me is "Alone again naturally" by Hurricane Smith - it gets me even worse since I learned his sad story...
Is that Hurricane Smith (who I remember for 'Oh Babe, What Would You Say?' ) or Gilbert O'Sullivan? If it's the G O'S version you mean then, oh yeah - a really, really moving song.

It does get a bit muddled and confusing, as Mr Smith recorded some of Mr O'S's material...

Both contributed some great tracks.

Good call.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I have to go with Kilkelly, Ireland. (Live at Matt Molloy's cd) Too close to home. I was 2 when we left Dublin. We moved back for a year (age 7) when my dad went alone to San Francisco from Toronto. My sister spent a weekend at my dad's mother's house and heard her praying for my dad and weeping out of worry. My dad's sister's kids moved to Australia. First, one married an Australian and went, then some younger ones followed. My aunt was heard to have cursed Australia for taking her children from her. I grew up obsessed with returning to Ireland and only in the past 10 years or less has that desire faded. I'm having a hard time deciding to visit; don't want to stir it all up again. I guess playing whistle gives me a sense of connection.

I should add that both my parents have gone back many times to visit.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Congratulations wrote:
cowtime wrote:American Woman by Led Zepplin
Unless you know something I don't, that song is by the Guess Who. :)
Oh well, the memory is failing- I do remember hearing it on the radio when it first came out so it's been a lotta strange years since then - but I still feel great when I hear it, no matter who it was done by. It's gotta be the original one though, not that knock off cover by Kravitz or whoever that was.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

cowtime wrote:I still feel great when I hear it, no matter who it was done by. It's gotta be the original one though, not that knock off cover by Kravitz or whoever that was.
Agreed.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

One time I was sitting in a bar and this lady was singing behind me. Just her voice and a guitar. I felt her smile as she sang the requested song reach every corner of the room. I turned around to see her trying to trying to keep from busting out in laughter whale she sang a perfect rendition of school house rock’s “noun song”.

Carl Orf’s O Fortuna has sent chills down my spine and many operas have been cathartic, but nothing has quite forced a smile on my face like that song did on that day.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

buddhu wrote:
Mitch wrote:The one that realy gets me is "Alone again naturally" by Hurricane Smith - it gets me even worse since I learned his sad story...
Is that Hurricane Smith (who I remember for 'Oh Babe, What Would You Say?' ) or Gilbert O'Sullivan? If it's the G O'S version you mean then, oh yeah - a really, really moving song.

It does get a bit muddled and confusing, as Mr Smith recorded some of Mr O'S's material...

Both contributed some great tracks.

Good call.
Now I'm a bit confused (as always:)) - who was the guy that was "discovered" then held virtually under house-arrest by his manager who milked him like a music-cow untill he eventually topped himself - was it GO'S or HS? They seem so interchangeable in my memory!
All the best!

mitch
stevetcm

Post by stevetcm »

Nina Simone - Little Girl Blue
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Some stuff that really "gets me" for one reason or another:

"Town Cryer"--Elvis Costello
"Atmosphere"--Joy Division
"New Dawn Fades"--Joy Division
"Love Will Tear Us Apart"--Joy Division
"Ceremony"--Joy Division/New Order
"Temptation"--New Order
"As Praias Desertas"--Antonio Carlos Jobim
"In My Life"--The Beatles
"Griogal Cridhe"--Margaret & Martyn Bennett
"A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"--Bob Dylan
"The Missing Boy"--The Durutti Column
"Song For Autumn"--Dick Gaughan
"This Must Be The Place"--Talking Heads
"Heroin"--The Velvet Underground
"My Foolish Heart"--Bill Evans Trio
"Apology Accepted"--The Go-Betweens
"Cupid Must Be Angry"--Nick Lowe
"Cast Your Fate To The Wind"--Vince Guaraldi
"All Things Must Pass"--George Harrison
"Frozen Warnings"--Nico (also John Cale's version)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

stevetcm wrote:Nina Simone - Little Girl Blue
That doesn't make me cry, but gee it's ravishingly
beautiful. As I recall she does it playing
Good King Wencelaus against it.