pencils

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

pencils

Post by Jack »

I've come to the conclusion that I like pencils better than pens because I can write while laying upside down with a pencil, but not a pen. Also, I can chew a pencil and never get ink mouth. And pencils rarely seem to get "accidentally stolen" while pens do that all the time.

Thoughts?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I think that the chewing part is why I don't like pencils. I tend to do it too much :P But at the same time, I like the way they write much better. They're smoother and not blotchy and all of that.
Now if it's a clicky pen, I'll take those above all else. I love to click them over and over and over again....which of course drives anyone near me totally nuts :twisted:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I like mechanical pencils with comfy, not slippery, grips, and smooth, not scratchy lead. They must have decent erasers.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I found a regular (non-mechanical) Office Max brand #2 pencil the other day. It's pure sunshine. I love it. If I can afford it, and if I can get to an Office Max, I am going to start buying their pencils. It also tastes delicious.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

The Black Ticonderoga, King of Pencils. I write with nothing but pencils*, and I won't use any pencil but these. They are my life-blood.

*except in situations which require pens: signing my name, filling out forms, etc.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I always prefer writing with a pencil. I switched to mechanical ones because of a compulsive sharpening problem I had. The tip of the mechanical lead is not quite as sharp, but I've learned to live with it. I like the ones called Clickster Grip. Staying on top of extra leads and erasers is a problem though.
Last edited by Cynth on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Mechanical pencils are heresy.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I haven't bought pens in years...all of my pens say things like Carter Blood Care or News 24 Houston, or Mix 102.9. They all sit in a jar, and I just grab a random one when I have to write a check (which is what 90% of what I write these days. Everything else is typed). I do like the ultra-fine roller ball one I have, and I would buy more of them..if I bought pens that is.

Pencils are just too much of a hassle. There's the sharpening (or fiddling with the lead on a mechanical pencil) and all that jazz. Plus you have to buy them.

That reminds me...do people still buy address labels? The Shriners, the NRA, and the March of Dimes have been giving them to me for free for at least a decade..heh.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

The only pencils I use are the little ones at the library. They don't write dark enough for me to read. There are "space" pens that can write upside down and underwater even, but they cost $10 or more.

Like Wanderer, most of my pens are found, or promo pens. I did buy a pack of ten pens a while back, and that is enough to last for years, and years, factoring in all the pens that I find on the ground, etc.

I do wish there were more small pens, the size of the pencils at the library. The ink supply isn't so critical for me, but having less to carry is a factor. Sounds silly, a pen isn't big, but I usually don't have one, and perhaps a smaller form factor would motivate me to keep one on my keychain or in my wallet. There are a few gimmicky tiny pens, maybe I'll have to make the effort and pay up to have one.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

My handwriting looks terrible when I write with a pencil or ballpoint inkpen. This is because you have to press down to get it to write. With a Rollerball or felt-tip, I do better, but to actually have a nice-looking penmanship, I have to use a fountain pen.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy

Post by missy »

I got in the habit of only using black ink years ago (because of writing in lab notebooks). I do like roller balls or felt tip better then ball point.

The only thing I write in cursive is my name, everything else is printed. I can print very quickly and it's "usually" legible.

My usual "tools" are a black pen, a black sharpie and a yellow highlighter.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

missy wrote:I got in the habit of only using black ink years ago (because of writing in lab notebooks). I do like roller balls or felt tip better then ball point.

The only thing I write in cursive is my name, everything else is printed. I can print very quickly and it's "usually" legible.

My usual "tools" are a black pen, a black sharpie and a yellow highlighter.

The old lab notebook. So the food industry has the same FDA stuff to deal with as pharmaceuticals?

I only use pencils when I'm doing sudoko puzzles or drawing
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

Wanderer wrote:That reminds me...do people still buy address labels? The Shriners, the NRA, and the March of Dimes have been giving them to me for free for at least a decade..heh.
PeTA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) will send you free address labels if you sign up for all their publications but don't become a member (i.e. don't send them money). They will also send you an envelope with a nickel taped to it, because, as they apparently believe, nickels make people become members with, what?, $40 yearly membership fees?

I use address labels as "ex libris" stickers for books. They're much cheaper to get than many "ex libris" stickers.
TomB

Post by TomB »

I also prefer pencils for a number of things, but the biggest problem I find with them is the "eraser issue." Most of the erasers on pencils are not the greatest and they wear out much to quickly.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Jack

Post by Jack »

TomB wrote:I also prefer pencils for a number of things, but the biggest problem I find with them is the "eraser issue." Most of the erasers on pencils are not the greatest and they wear out much to quickly.

All the Best, Tom
Get you one of those big pink rectangular rubbers.

(I've been told by certain flavors of British people that "rubber" is an alternate way to say "eraser" in English English. *immature giggle*)