Spam warning

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

Spam warning

Post by Charlene »

Just got this e-mail:
Hello! I'm Lowell, from the Philippines. I really
wanted to have a whistle and come up with your site,
I'm hoping, if you could, give me even if only one.
There's NO tin whistle available for sale here in
our country and I really can't afford to buy those
in the Internet specially if it's in dollars, and I
don't have a credit card. Really! As funny as it may
sound (or look), I'm actually begging you!!! Please,
even if it's TOTALLY USED. I just wanted to have a
nickel generation with the blue thingy on top like
Andrea Corr of The Corrs use - I'm a fan of them. Or
any nickel ones you got that you don't need, or use
anymore, maybe a Waltons/feadog nickel or an Oak. I
really, really wanted to have a tin whistle…
Looking forward to your reply… thanks!
Really interesting, since one of my webpages is about my family, and the other is a fan site for Will Millar and the Irish Rovers, and nowhere on any of them do I even hint that I HAVE a whistle, much less that I have one for sale.

I'm sure if I replied they would want a bank account number "to deposit the money into" and then . . . . . .

Just wanted to warn those of you who DO sell whistles to be on the lookout for this person. I've deleted the e-mail so I don't have the address but just watch out for Lowell from the Phillippines.
Charlene
ShadowBG625
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Thanks for the headsup...

...and yet another Spam Warning...

Take it as you will... :party:
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

I think both spam and Spam are being unfairly maligned: Neither of them has any trans fat.

:wink:
Congratulations

Re: Spam warning

Post by Congratulations »

Charlene wrote:Really interesting, since one of my webpages is about my family, and the other is a fan site for Will Millar and the Irish Rovers, and nowhere on any of them do I even hint that I HAVE a whistle, much less that I have one for sale.
Well, the probable thing is that they pulled your e-mail off of this site, rather than your personal site.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I know the general mood among US posters towards anything that comes from anywhere else eg an auction on E bay MUST be a scam if it's not US based and has a spelling error in it etc. But does this e-mail really give you any reasonable reason to convince you you'll be robbed as soon as you reply? Maybe you will maybe you won't. Maybe someone just genuinely wanted a whistle. Maybe someone was just trying it on in order to get a freeby. Actually in the past several similarly worded posts have appeared on this board and people at the time ran out to send their discarded whistles off.

(edited for typos)
Last edited by Cayden on Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

It is sad really, when I first started using E-mail (1993?) I would receive mail from people (strangers) visiting my city and they would ask what things they shouldn’t miss. I remember friends at the time doing the same thing and even finding places to crash at other people’s places. Little more than ten years later, and I could not imagine those things happening today.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Well, we know that there are no whistles available in the Philippines:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... nd+whistle

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... nd+whistle

I have a special email user name that is used only for my C&F email link, and I get spam to it just about every day--as many as 10 on some days.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I'd have sent him a whistle. I dunno if I've got a blue & nickel generation, but I'd have offered him something. I have some little-used whistles left over from the WhOA days of my early whistle career.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I don't have any extra whistles anyway - I've only owned 4 and one has been lost for a long long time. The other 3 we use.

I realize there are people in the world who don't use credit cards - my mother-in-law and my blind friend, to name a couple. But if they want something and are either in a place that doesn't take checks or want it ordered over the Internet, they pay us and have us use our credit card to buy it for them. So this fellow could certainly do the same.

Darwin - interesting that the 2 links you put up read almost exactly the same as the letter I got. And one of them was named "Lowell" also.
Charlene
Denny

Post by Denny »

Charlene wrote:Darwin - interesting that the 2 links you put up read almost exactly the same as the letter I got. And one of them was named "Lowell" also.
repeat beggar :lol: