How To Give A Cat A Pill

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

How To Give A Cat A Pill

Post by dfernandez77 »

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As the cat opens mouth, pop pill into its mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees; hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail; get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and
vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil, and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans; drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot; drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve the damned cat from across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie the little basmati's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room; sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How To Give A Dog A Pill

1. Wrap it in bacon.

2. Toss it in the air.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

I know what you mean! :)

I recently had to do this too. Here's what the vet gave me and it worked every time. The pill plunger shoots the pill to the back of the tongue, forcing the cat to swallow it...if it's done right.

more pics
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I never had so many problems giving cats pills. Two things: your hand has to be big enough to wrap around from behind the cat's head to grip the sides of mouth to pull back to open, and secondly, make sure the pill goes far enough back on the cats tongue so that it can't spit the pill out. Use a pencil with an eraser to push it further back if necessary (without entering the larynx, of course). Stroke the cat's throat to induce it to swallow while still holding the back of its head. The first time is peaceful. After that the cat knows what is coming and is a bit harder to catch, but they usually settle down once they realize they aren't going to get away until you're done. Good laugh, though.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

True. And it depends on the cat. I normally skip to the towel wrapping stage for my worst cat, and the rest has to be done quickly, but I can normally do it alone.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Okay, I've pilled a LOT of cats. Here's my method.

Dab the pill in butter.

Seat the cat on a table or counter facing away from you and pet the cat nicely. Buttery pill is on the tip of your index finger on your dominant hand.

Take non-dominant hand around the cat and pry open mouth. The cat will back up into you.

Insert the pill quickly and DEEPLY. Cat will gag, pill will slip down throat. Smear a bit of butter on the cats mouth and let it go.

Good luck.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

That site is like the Worst Case Scenario Handbook, Lorenzo. "You must work rapidly to avoid getting bit." :lol:

My cat was always really slick about pretending to swallow the pill while I held him down for like 10 minutes, and then immediately spitting it out.

J.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I have a similar pill-popping thing like Lorenzo pictured - it worked pretty well, but, yeah, after a while the cat knows it's coming and all bets are off. I had to give my cat antibiotics 2 X day for 2 weeks and it got pretty bad. What made it worse was she got so sick from the antibiotics that she couldn't keep any food down and lost a lot of weight. Finally the vet let me d/c the antibiotics a couple of days before she was supposed to be done. (Yes, I'm a nurse and I know all about taking all your antibiotics and antibiotic resistance, but she was so sick it was scaring me).
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.

Post by 123454321 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aidan
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I will never forget helping out on an Emu farm in Williams Lake, giving meds and fixing impacted throats. Full protective gear, lots of patience, and a length of garden hose were required.
Afterwards, the owner stitched up a peck-wound in his own leg while we shared some Loch Dhu and a laugh. Gotta love life in the sticks.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Lorenzo wrote:I know what you mean! :)

I recently had to do this too. Here's what the vet gave me and it worked every time. The pill plunger shoots the pill to the back of the tongue, forcing the cat to swallow it...if it's done right.

more pics
It is a handy device.... that is, if the cat doesn't see it coming. I have found that clenching the sides of the jaw as shown above, and with the ring or middle finger of the other hand opening the mouth and keeping it there, placing the pill quickly down the throat, closing the cat's mouth, holding it closed while you massage it's throat until it swallows, the best method and quickest method.

Failing that, crush the pill into a powder and mix it with very yummy food.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Back when I was a teenager, I had a few days work because of this problem. The next farm over was owned by a guy who'd retired from the city and had never handled cattle before.

Came time to worm the calves, he took out his (much larger) version of the handy gadget shown, gave them their pills - then watched them all spit it out. I showed him how to do it right (I was about 16 at the time - big enough to strongarm a calf if needed - and it was). He watched me do it, counted the number left for *him* to do - and offered me a job on the spot.

I thought it was easy money at the time, and couldn't see why he was willing to pay someone else to do something so easy. These days, I think I'd do the same - spending a day or two wrestling unhappy calves is best enjoyed in retrospect. :twisted:
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:I know what you mean! :)

more pics
It is a handy device.... that is, if the cat doesn't see it coming. I have found that clenching the sides of the jaw as shown above, and with the ring or middle finger of the other hand opening the mouth and keeping it there, placing the pill quickly down the throat, closing the cat's mouth, holding it closed while you massage it's throat until it swallows, the best method and quickest method.

Failing that, crush the pill into a powder and mix it with very yummy food.
Yep. oh, and always keep in mind that a cat will "GET YOU" if it really wants to.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
thirdfipple

fwiw

Post by thirdfipple »

I will try to make this quick, the memory is very painful.

I did them a favor, watched over and fed, the horses, dogs and cats (7 cats). One had cystitis,"please give the cat his pills", they requested. "No problem", I replied. Seven days, seven days of horror and terror;fights and scratches , howling and screaming...and the cat cried too.

The 8th day, TUJ, they are back!
"How did it go?"
"Not bad, except for that feline basmati", pointing to the perp.
"Why?"
"Wouldn't take the damn pills!"
"That's not the cat with cystitis..."

So now we scrambled, frantically looking for the urinary accumulating Felis domesticus. OMG she is as big as a footstool and sloshes when you pick her up. She hasn't been able to pee for several days. She doesn't meow as much as she burbles

My awe and disgust knew NO bounds when the vet shoved his finger up ...well honestly i was too chicken to look closely...and the most vile, stinking exudate shot across the room as the poor pussy screamed in release.

I like cats...really i do. But I have taken no chances, dogs for the last 30 years. Word gets around y'know.
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: fwiw

Post by Mitch »

thirdfipple wrote:I will try to make this quick, the memory is very painful.
I like cats...really i do. But I have taken no chances, dogs for the last 30 years. Word gets around y'know.
Great story!! :thumbsup:
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

feadogin wrote:That site is like the Worst Case Scenario Handbook, Lorenzo. "You must work rapidly to avoid getting bit." :lol:

My cat was always really slick about pretending to swallow the pill while I held him down for like 10 minutes, and then immediately spitting it out.

J.
:lol: Yep. My kitties will lick their noses, supposedly a sign that they have swallowed, and then I say Good Girl, let go, and out comes the pill, now soft and wet and crumbling. And then we try it again with a wet crumbly pill. I have tried the dispenser thing and for some reason I didn't get very good results. Butter seems to maket the pill stick to my finger so I can't toss it back there. Luckily, neither one gets very rough.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca