I need some computer help.......please

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I need some computer help.......please

Post by cowtime »

Last spring I finally gave up and got a new computer. Well,the new one was fine until some kinda trojan virus was detected by the Norton Antivirus program that came with the computer.(trojan vundo.b on a Windows site) Now every time I get onlne, a big warning comes up saying this virus has been detected. I click ok, but it does not go away. Sometimes, it gives me a link and I do what it says, but it obviously has not gotten rid of the thing.

I've used Adaware to try and clear the thing off.
I've gone to the Norton program and followed the directions to clear it, no use.
My computer is yet again, a source of frustration, instead of relaxation.
Do I need to just unplug it and take it somewhere to see if they can get this virus out ? I'm no computer wise person. Should I call Dell and see if they can do it?

All I do know is that my old computer was fine untill I bought an update from Norton and then it was a pain. Now, I'm back in the same boat. Everything is so so so slow it's driving me crazy. I'm ready to scream...............
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

This is probably not much help, but I'd suggest getting rid of Norton and giving something like AVG a try. I've had nothing but trouble any time I've used Norton. I've even uninstalled Norton on my brother's virus infested computer(took forever cause they really don't want you to get rid of them) and installed AVG to clean out most of his problems.
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

So your computer is about a year and a half old? Have you upgraded your Norton? It expires after a year, I think, and then it won't clean anything for you.

If that's the case, I would definitely suggest going with AVG (it's free). I think this is what you'd be looking for.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: I need some computer help.......please

Post by amar »

cowtime wrote:Last spring I finally gave up and got a new computer. Well,the new one was fine until some kinda trojan virus was detected by the Norton Antivirus program that came with the computer.(trojan vundo.b on a Windows site) Now every time I get onlne, a big warning comes up saying this virus has been detected. I click ok, but it does not go away. Sometimes, it gives me a link and I do what it says, but it obviously has not gotten rid of the thing.

I've used Adaware to try and clear the thing off.
I've gone to the Norton program and followed the directions to clear it, no use.
My computer is yet again, a source of frustration, instead of relaxation.
Do I need to just unplug it and take it somewhere to see if they can get this virus out ? I'm no computer wise person. Should I call Dell and see if they can do it?

All I do know is that my old computer was fine untill I bought an update from Norton and then it was a pain. Now, I'm back in the same boat. Everything is so so so slow it's driving me crazy. I'm ready to scream...............
you'll find some links here:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ght=spybot
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

My dad had a hard drive ultimately destroyed as a result of using Norton Utilities. That said, surely the best operating system is DOS 6, using Norton Commander. I am sick of Win95.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Norton is as bad as a virus itself in my opinion. It did horrible things to my wife's laptop. You may need a professional to go into the registry and remove all Norton related stuff even after an uninstall.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Well, I'm at least glad to see that I'm not the only one who has had Norton screw up a computer.

The most frustrating thing is that this computer is only 6 months old and it acts like my old one that was 5 years old when it comes to performance.

I'm going to follow suggestions and try to uninstall Norton and get the AVG and check out Amars links. Then if I really screw it up I'll have to bite the bullet and a professional to do some hands on repair.

Thanks for the help folks.
John Foster West
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Well I just spent the last 1 1/2 hours installing AVG which immediately picked up the same site of the virus. The problem is that the AVG program couldn't do a thing with it (like the Norton). All I got was a popup saying I've got the stupid virus. It would NOT go away. I couldn't even get back on here except by uninstalling the AVG program to get rid of that popup!

This is not my idea of a fun way to spend the evening.

I know the site of the virus- it's all over every anti-virus warning. Is there some way I can get it out of there?
John Foster West
Denny

Post by Denny »

Google the virus name and the word "fix"
If there is a script to purge it it should turn up.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Denny wrote:Google the virus name and the word "fix"
If there is a script to purge it it should turn up.
Thanks- I'll try that.
John Foster West
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Trojans copy themselves into other files. You think your system has been cured by deleting them, but alas they're back. Not sure what you're using, but if it's Windows XP you have to turn off your system restore and then empty the cache in your java plug-ins.

>>start>>control panel>>Java Plug-in>>cache>>clear

Then run update your antivirus and run it again. I second AVG.
Erikpiper

Post by Erikpiper »

Ok, I don't want to sound like a computer geek, but everyone knows windows sucks.

Soloution- Linux. Stable, SECURE, and the newer versions actually increase performance. I have had no problems using it. Ever. It IS easy to use. You can dual boot- linux and windows. You select from the two when you start up.

Disadvantages- you lose the windows games. That's about it. (Firefox is better than IE, OpenOffice is better than Office, etc. unles you are a gamer, Linux would probably work for you)

I reccomend ubuntu if you don't mind litteraly copying and pasting into a command like to fix a problem. (If there are any)

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

And forums that can help you with anything:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/
(They are down at the moment... That is NOT normal)

(Posted from Ubuntu linux)
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Trojans copy themselves into other files. You think your system has been cured by deleting them, but alas they're back. Not sure what you're using, but if it's Windows XP you have to turn off your system restore and then empty the cache in your java plug-ins.

>>start>>control panel>>Java Plug-in>>cache>>clear

Then run update your antivirus and run it again. I second AVG.
I fooled around and finally did find the place to turn off restore, but couldn't find the java plug-ins to empty the cache. I do have Windows XP.
I'm just not too computer savvy, as you can tell.

Ericpiper- I'm going to check out those links.
John Foster West
Denny

Post by Denny »

Code: Select all

Start
Control Panel
Java
   General (tab)
   Temporary Internet Files (section)
   Delete Files... (button)

I'd leave all three checked and click Delete.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

OK I finally got the system restore off, deleted the java plugins, then deleted temp files, cookies, history on general tab.

I had to turn the system restore back on to get back on the internet though.

I currently have adaware, xoftspy, a-squared on my computer in addition to the evil Norton. Can I delete the evil one and be adaquately covered if I also can get the AVG on there without the constant popup that caused me to delete AVG so I could at least see this screen?
John Foster West