I need some computer help.......please

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

cowtime wrote:OK I finally got the system restore off, deleted the java plugins, then deleted temp files, cookies, history on general tab.

I had to turn the system restore back on to get back on the internet though.

I currently have adaware, xoftspy, a-squared on my computer in addition to the evil Norton. Can I delete the evil one and be adaquately covered if I also can get the AVG on there without the constant popup that caused me to delete AVG so I could at least see this screen?
Spybot is an alternative spyware program to Adaware and it's free. I believe that some antivirus software can give false positives but don't quote me on that. I have McAfee antivirus installed. It's a pain as it slows the computer down but it works though it ain't free!

I strongly recommend that you get a good firewall. You can get ZoneAlarm for free and it's very good. If you have the XP Service Pack 2 update installed (you should), and you install ZoneAlarm, you should disable the Windows firewall (which ain't that good).

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Apropos rogue stuff on your computer, I downloaded the latest version of Kodak Easyshare photo software from the Kodak website. I'd used the old version quite happily for several years. Straight away the new program started to crash every time I used it and it seriously slowed the whole computer down. When I did a Spybot spyware scan I discovered that 56 entries for Backweb Lite spyware had been added to the registry by this program. The scan results didn't check the entries for removal. I had to uninstall the program (which took ages) and then remove the 56 entries using Spybot. Just goes to show that there's no such thing in computing as a free lunch.

Steve

I also have Audio Cleaning Lab from Magix (which I bought). When you install this software on your computer you also install C_Dilla spyware, without which the program won't work!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Erikpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Erikpiper »

Good luck with the windows..

The forums are back up. Here is a post titled, "Is Ubuntu for you?"
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread. ... ks+newbies

If you have any questions, ask me, or the forums. (They are the BEST linux forums ever- one rewason I reccomend ubuntu)

I personally used windows, went to linux, and cannot stand windows anymore. So I suggest linux to others.
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist