I want to go to Japan

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I want to go to Japan

Post by Dale »

I really do.

Next year, of course, we will all be celebrating my 50th birthday. Appropriate to my status as a (very) minor celebrity in Irish music, I would like to visit Japan.

I've been reading Japanese literary works (alas, translated into English) for 30 years. I'd like to visit the country. Of course, the cost is a big concern. I would likely travel alone.

I seek advice from people who have been and/or who know of ways I can reduce costs.

Thank you.

Dale
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

One of the women who belongs to the Spokane Folklore Society went to Japan to teach and set up a web page while she was there. Lots of neat pictures and comments. http://maryinjapan.com/
Charlene
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hard to say about cutting costs in general; Japan ain't cheap, especially in the cities. The primary thing to do is be hosted by someone who speaks English well, is familiar with Westerners and is tolerant of any possible lapses due to cultural differences, and stay at their residence (being sponsored by way of letters of introduction is essential if you don't know someone over there already), and when eating out, stick to the workaday cuisine such as noodle vendors and such. Remember that offering gifts (not necessarily expensive, but at least meaningful) is customary on introduction and farewells, but not always, so having a native Japanese in your pocket is a big plus whenever you're wondering about things.

If you go there, you'll have an interesting experience on the human level. Norms of etiquette sometimes went quite contrary to what I'd presumed.

It's a lovely country, and I dug the food. Put off going for the fugu if a) you're trying to be frugal, and b) you're not given to gambling. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nanohedron wrote:
It's a lovely country, and I dug the food. Put off going for the fugu if a) you're trying to be frugal, and b) you're not given to gambling. :wink:
I'd pass on the fugu too, and stick to regular sushi and the like thanks.
gonzo914

Re: I want to go to Japan

Post by gonzo914 »

DaleWisely wrote: . . . who know of ways I can reduce costs.
My father got to go there for free in 1945. I think he was part of fairly large tour group.

I don't know if the travel agency he used is still conducting tours there, but there's a link you could check --

Tour of Japan
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
djm

Post by djm »

There are several members on the UP forum from Japan. User mukade comes to mind. Maybe you could make a new best friend by PM'g some of them.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Joseph, you might be interested to know that the worst sushi I ever came across was in the Roppongi district of Tōkyō. It was the sort of sushi bar that had a conveyor that would bring plates of it past the customer for selection; it's called kaiten-zushi when it's that sort of operation. Usually this in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but the place I was at was apparently a late-night joint that catered to drinkers who were wrapping it up and grabbing a snack before wobbling home, and some of the fish on the nigiri-zushi had obviously been there a long time, edges curled up and dried. I couldn't believe it. I suppose the philosophy was if you're plastered enough you wouldn't notice.

There was fresh stuff there, too. Still, I'd had better in St. Paul.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I'm not a big fan of inexpensive Japanese food. When I lived there, I mostly ate at Korean BBQ restaurants or Shakey's Pizza when I was out and about. But that's because I don't like seafood of any kind.

Based on my last trip, about nine or ten years ago, I'd avoid most Western food, which can be more expensive than the local food and is often off just enough to be unsatisfying. If you want to save money,stick to small out-of-the-way restaurants--but pick ones that don't have heavy layers of dust on their food displays.

It's common for restaurants to have wax or plastic replicas of their main dishes in glass cabinets on the wall out front. They'll give you at least some idea of what's available, as well as the prices. Noodle and soup dishes are common. Ingredients that you don't recognize will probably be some form of fish--especially if they are pink and/or white slices. If they are brown slices, they may be sea slug or something similar. Don't be put off by the somewhat odd appearance of the replicas, though.

My main piece of advice is that when you're lost you should try to look the part. The chances are pretty good that some student will step up to help you and practice his or her English at the same time. Things may have changed in the intervening decades, but several times I've had young people go well out of their way to make sure I made the right series of train changes. Also, unless things have changed, if you miss your station, you should be able to get on a train going back the other way and go back without paying anything extra--as long as you don't go out an exit. If you can manage to have your station names written down in Japanese, the station staff can probably point you in the right direction.

Unless you're very confident of your pronunciation, it's good to carry a piece of paper with the name of your hotel or inn and its address written in Japanese. In my experience, quite a few people may be able to communicate a bit in English, but they can be very obtuse when it comes to guessing Japanese place names. A phrase book that contains simple, but useful, questions like "Where is ...?", "Which train goes to...?" and "How much is this?" would be handy.

Trains and subways are pretty easy. Buses can be tricky. Taxis are expensive.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

my dog once ate a boiled fugu :o

When in danger/hunger, the quickest and dirtiest way is to visit Seven-Eleven, Family Mart, Sankus or Lawson. Recently they started to carry Burritos, too!

If you'll be visiting Tokyo region only, I believe it'd be best if you find a person who can let you stay for awhile. Hotels cost about $30 - $40 a night in Tokyo.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

So, Tak, what happened to your dog?
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Make sure to stay in a traditional style hotel at least once, especially if you visit any small towns.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Nanohedron wrote:So, Tak, what happened to your dog?
nothing serious....her appetite increased since then, and recently, ate a few pieces of pizza when no one was around. :D
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
mukade

Post by mukade »

There is no cheap way to DO Japan. Accomodation, travel costs and food are all expensive if you want a decent stay.

The Japanese government has a very informative support site for their current Visit Japan campaign.
http://www.japanwelcomesyou.com/cssweb/

If you are planning to travel around the country, the Japan Rail Pass is a good deal.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en01.html
It gives unlimited travel on JR(Japan Railways) trains and buses. You can check prices and timetables on this site.
http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperd01.cgi

If you are not allergic to dogs and you don't mind sleeping on a futon in front of my deceased father-in-law's buddhist altar, you could crash out at my house for a couple of nights. We are one hour from Tokyo and about 20 minutes from Mt. Fuji.

We are also close to the Izu Peninsula, which is one of the best hot spring areas in Japan. Izu is also famous for its literary connections. It was the setting for Kawabata's Izu Dancing Girl, Mishima Yukio is said to have written one of his books there, and Inoue Yasushi's old house has been rebuilt in the grounds of a modern literature museum. The pressures of tourism have spoilt large areas of Izu, but there are still many beautiful places if you are willing to venture beyond the tourist zones.

Let me know if you need any help.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

mukade wrote: If you are not allergic to dogs and you don't mind sleeping on a futon in front of my deceased father-in-law's buddhist altar, you could crash out at my house for a couple of nights. We are one hour from Tokyo and about 20 minutes from Mt. Fuji.
I had to read this twice because a mental image of...oh never mind.
. Nothin' wrong with sleepin by a butsodan; might clean up yer chi.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Dale
The Landlord

Re: I want to go to Japan

Post by Dale »

gonzo914 wrote:
DaleWisely wrote: . . . who know of ways I can reduce costs.
My father got to go there for free in 1945. I think he was part of fairly large tour group.
Yeah. Mine, too. Navy.