Hairy or hairless, where are you on the evolution time scale

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

Hairy or hairless, where are you on the evolution time scale

Post by MarkB »

From the National Geographic:

Are Humans Furless to Thwart Parasites?

John Pickrell in England
for National Geographic News

June 17, 2003
Humans are unique among primates for our near-total bodily hairlessness. In fact, only a handful of the 5,000 or so mammals—mostly semi-aquatic species such as whales, walruses, and hippopotamuses—are not covered in dense fur.

Now, a controversial new theory suggests that human hairlessness evolved as a strategy to shed the ticks, lice, fleas, and other parasites that nestle deep in fur.

Full story here:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... umans.html

And how much more do they want us to shave off, according to the ads in all media, if we only have the hair left on our heads, that would be fine with them, as long as we use their magic potions.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Very hairy in my youth... not very hairy in middle age. Am I moving up the evoluctionary scale?
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

My head is certainly evolving.
Unfortunately,my ears and nostrils are de-volving at an alarming rate!!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Jack

Post by Jack »

I no longer believe in evolution, at least in the way this article presents it.

However, I know some quite hairy people, with thick, dark, dense, bodily hair--including my mother and her side of my family.

I've always wanted a hairless dog, too.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

If this is true, then how come there are not more mammals in Africa that are hairless? I mean, just look at things like lions and hyenas. They're quite furry!
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Sam, also look at which animals rule the world in a sense. I was never really a fan of evolution but it does make ya wonder.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Unseen122 wrote:Sam, also look at which animals rule the world in a sense.
Insects? I heard somewhere that insects are the most successful, as far as numbers go, animals in history.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

If there is indeed a Good Lord, then the hair on the human male is surely His number one joke. I mean, why do I need extra hair growing out of my ears and nose and around my b*m just because I'm getting older? I didn't have it when I was a callow youth and I don't flippin' well need it now! Why have I got hilarious-looking bald patches on my calves? The ones on my legs - duh. And why do I lose hair from the very place I need it most, i.e. the top of my head, which is now subject to severe sunburn within minutes of going outdoors except for a few weeks either side of Christmas?

And possibly the most mystifying thing of all. How does pubic hair know that it's the correct length and can stop growing? If I cut it, it grows back to the same length as before, not a millimetre more. But how do the living follicles know that the inert ends, inches away, have been trimmed? They can't know can they? The hair on my head or face will just keep growing longer and longer and must be kept under control but my untrammelled pubes know exactly how to behave. By rights I should have been tripping up over them years ago.

No school biology book ever explained these things!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote:And possibly the most mystifying thing of all. How does pubic hair know that it's the correct length and can stop growing? If I cut it,
Talk about over-sharing . . .
They can't know can they? The hair on my head or face will just keep growing longer and longer and must be kept under control but my untrammelled pubes know exactly how to behave.
I believe you will notice that, if you trim it, the pubic fallout on your bathroom floor and shower drain is . . . shorter. Then it's slightly longer. Then longer still. And so on, until it's the untrimmed length again. But, at each stage, it's ALL THE SAME LENGTH. That's because it's falling out when it gets to a certain age, not a certain length.

Follicles don't know how long the hair is . . . only how long they have been producing it. Pubic follicles must have a shorter production period than those elsewhere on the body.

At least, that's my theory. My other theory was that the follicles "knew" how long the hair was by sensing the pressure built up by the constricting effect of underpants.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Jack

Post by Jack »

Lambchop wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:And possibly the most mystifying thing of all. How does pubic hair know that it's the correct length and can stop growing? If I cut it,
Talk about over-sharing . . .
I thought that, too, but, since I seem to have a bad sense as to what is over-sharing and what isn't, I remained silent.
djm

Post by djm »

Steve Bare it All Shaw wrote:How does pubic hair know that it's the correct length and can stop growing? If I cut it, it grows back to the same length as before, not a millimetre more.
Perhaps you're more of a wax man?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

djm wrote:
Steve Bare it All Shaw wrote:How does pubic hair know that it's the correct length and can stop growing? If I cut it, it grows back to the same length as before, not a millimetre more.
Perhaps you're more of a wax man?

djm
Well, one would think that anyone into precise measurement would be. :wink:
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Lambchop wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:And possibly the most mystifying thing of all. How does pubic hair know that it's the correct length and can stop growing?
. . .
My other theory was that the follicles "knew" how long the hair was by sensing the pressure built up by the constricting effect of underpants.
THAT'S IT- Wear underpants on your head,and You'll never have to pay for a haircut ever again!!!!! :D
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

never wax your eyebrows!! you can always let your eyebrows grow long and comb them back if you get bald :wink:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

lixnaw wrote:never wax your eyebrows!! you can always let your eyebrows grow long and comb them back if you get bald :wink:
There's another conundrum. Why is it that if you shave your eyebrows, or wax them--even once--the parts you DO want will never grow back? But you can do anything you'd like to the parts you DON"T want--year after year--and they're back within hours? And they've brought friends!

Same thing for those little mustaches. :evil:
Cotelette d'Agneau