Polluting/spamming the forums

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Polluting/spamming the forums

Post by MurphyStout »

I prolly shouldn't but I feel the need.

There is alot of pollution and spam on the forums these days. No I'm not talking about actual spam but seemingly thoughtless meaningless posts. And I'm also talking about people who feel the need to start a new thread a few times a day and those that feel the need to assualt the rest of us with their religion and politics.

I seem to recall a few years ago that I knew everybody on the forums who posted somewhat regularly. I could even tell you want instruments they played. And they (most) even had original and meaningful thoughts from time to time. Now it seems that there are a SHYTELOAD of people who've recently joined within a year or two who post meaningless thoughts constantly. Many of which, I'm not even sure play a freaking instrument!!!! Frankly, most of the posts by these posters nowadays bore the p#ss out of me.

I really don't like this recent trend and a few regulars have also shared (some of) my sentiments. So I have a few modest freaking proposals!

1. Think quality over quantity. It's like my gramps always said. If you don't have something smart (or original) to say, don't say it. Or your could use the rule of three (post just 1 out of three that you would normally post [some of you should use the rule of ten!])

2. Practise your freaking instrument rather than wasting your time all day reading and writing on the forums!!! So you can actually say you can play the damn things instead of saying you collect them.

3. Jack Gilder- you know I love you man but jaysus. I read the news everyday (not the corperate meda ;)) before I check out the forums so I would really prefer if I didn't have to cover the same material twice. And even though I agree with everything you say, (maybe not the way you say it) I would prefer if you said it alot less; with less polls and less threads. Now that doesn't mean when the weekenders or some other correct wing thinker says something stupid you can't correct him... just don't go out of your way to start a bunch of new oppurtunities to correct him. You'll find that there are many other interesting things on the forums to talk about besides politics (like flutes or flute recordings).

4. Practise the tin whistle some more!!! And if your at work listen to some good recordings!! if you don't have any look here http://www.rogermillington.com/tunetoc/index.html and here http://www.lafferty.ca/music/irish/flute-geezers/

5. Be more like Martin Milner.

6. I request that my friends like Azalin, Eldarion, StevieJ and cskinner and folks like that posted more as well as the old crew who used to hang out and post here. (I was happy to see the return of TeriK!)

7. Pick a few more fights (civil ones) and say stuff that's more contriversal (except you Jack).

8. And finally, If you joined in 2004 and have over 1000 posts I suggest that you might have a time management problem and may want to rethink a few things.

I feel that I should say that this is a very nice place and I like most of the people on it and I love just about everyone I've met in person. I just wish that the pollution and spamming would stop.

I decided not to name names of the people who bore me to death but I could be convinced if prevoked :devil:
No I'm not returning...
Lambchop
antispam: No

Re: Polluting/spamming the forums

Post by Lambchop »

MurphyStout wrote:I prolly shouldn't but I feel the need.

There is alot of pollution and spam on the forums these days. No I'm not talking about actual spam but seemingly thoughtless meaningless posts. And I'm also talking about people who feel the need to start a new thread a few times a day and those that feel the need to assualt the rest of us with their religion and politics.

I seem to recall a few years ago that I knew everybody on the forums who posted somewhat regularly. I could even tell you want instruments they played. And they (most) even had original and meaningful thoughts from time to time. Now it seems that there are a SHYTELOAD of people who've recently joined within a year or two who post meaningless thoughts constantly. Many of which, I'm not even sure play a freaking instrument!!!! Frankly, most of the posts by these posters nowadays bore the p#ss out of me.

I really don't like this recent trend and a few regulars have also shared (some of) my sentiments. So I have a few modest freaking proposals!

1. Think quality over quantity. It's like my gramps always said. If you don't have something smart (or original) to say, don't say it. Or your could use the rule of three (post just 1 out of three that you would normally post [some of you should use the rule of ten!])

2. Practise your freaking instrument rather than wasting your time all day reading and writing on the forums!!! So you can actually say you can play the damn things instead of saying you collect them.

3. Jack Gilder- you know I love you man but jaysus. I read the news everyday (not the corperate meda ;)) before I check out the forums so I would really prefer if I didn't have to cover the same material twice. And even though I agree with everything you say, (maybe not the way you say it) I would prefer if you said it alot less; with less polls and less threads. Now that doesn't mean when the weekenders or some other correct wing thinker says something stupid you can't correct him... just don't go out of your way to start a bunch of new oppurtunities to correct him. You'll find that there are many other interesting things on the forums to talk about besides politics (like flutes or flute recordings).

4. Practise the tin whistle some more!!! And if your at work listen to some good recordings!! if you don't have any look here http://www.rogermillington.com/tunetoc/index.html and here http://www.lafferty.ca/music/irish/flute-geezers/

6. I request that my friends like Azalin, Eldarion, StevieJ and cskinner and folks like that posted more as well as the old crew who used to hang out and post here. (I was happy to see the return of TeriK!)

7. Pick a few more fights (civil ones) and say stuff that's more contriversal (except you Jack).

8. And finally, If you joined in 2004 and have over 1000 posts I suggest that you might have a time management problem and may want to rethink a few things.

I feel that I should say that this is a very nice place and I like most of the people on it and I love just about everyone I've met in person. I just wish that the pollution and spamming would stop.

I decided not to name names of the people who bore me to death but I could be convinced if prevoked :devil:

How utterly uncharitable of you.

I cannot imagine that you did not realize how many people would feel badly after reading your mean-spirited and exclusionist comments.

It's like my mother always said . . . if you don't have something nice to say, just refrain from saying it.

If posts bore the p#ss out of you, why don't you just not read them?

It would undoubtedly save you an enormous amount of time, which you could profitably devote to a study of basic literacy skills, like grammar and spelling.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Someone last week compared the forums to a pub you wouldn't like t odrink in any more, it's become a big barn full of people with a very high noise over signal ratio. Or words like that.

There are loads of people now with their own agendas, be it selling whistles or pipes and using the forum or those proselitysing (I actually spotted one forum member saying on the praisewhistlerforum a while ago he only comes here 'to do the good work' it made me sick to think what goes on in the mind of those people). And there's people who won't make the effort to play half decent who want to be told they are great who get angry when you say they are not.

On the other hand there are loads of great people , people who still make it worth dropping in here. Too many are going quiet though, drowned out by the noise.

You're right there Jack, cheers Image

edited in:
Lambchop wrote:
How utterly uncharitable of you.

I cannot imagine that you did not realize how many people would feel badly after reading your mean-spirited and exclusionist comments.
After considering you were taking the piss i can only say lighten up. Also, why do I think it's typical of the 'if you haven't something good to say..' crowd on the board you finish off with a snipe. Take your own advice.

(Some hefty editing going on here including some by the moderator to erase my reference to a member's former alter ego)
Last edited by Cayden on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Peter Laban wrote: You're right there Jack, cheers Image
Is that a pepsi emoticon!! Peter, you're my hero.
No I'm not returning...
jGilder

Re: Polluting/spamming the forums

Post by jGilder »

MurphyStout wrote:3. Jack Gilder- you know I love you man but jaysus. I read the news everyday (not the corperate meda ;)) before I check out the forums so I would really prefer if I didn't have to cover the same material twice. And even though I agree with everything you say, (maybe not the way you say it) I would prefer if you said it alot less; with less polls and less threads. Now that doesn't mean when the weekenders or some other correct wing thinker says something stupid you can't correct him... just don't go out of your way to start a bunch of new oppurtunities to correct him. You'll find that there are many other interesting things on the forums to talk about besides politics (like flutes or flute recordings).
Uh... Jack... all you have to do is ignore the threads you don't like. Your pedantry bores me to tears. If you're interested in what I have to say about ITM drop by thesession.org. Now quit reading this and go practise your tone and intonation on your flute.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Peter Laban wrote:I actually spotted one forum member saying on the praisewhistlerforum a while ago he only comes here 'to do the good work' it made me sick to think what goes on in the mind of those people
I'm not sure who it was, but I know this: it wasn't me.
Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Peter Laban wrote:PS, (edit) Come on, lighten up
No. I won't.

There are a lot of people here who are young, emotionally fragile, or who just have behavior problems, and it is destructive to them to spew rancor.

I'm one of those 2004 people with more than 1000 posts, crappy musical abilities, and nothing constructive to say.

I know I could be practicing, but after a certain point, it does no good. I suck, musically, and there is no way of getting around that.

I know I post meaningless crap, but I don't have anything useful to say about music. I try not to post on the flute and whistle forums, restricting myself to the pub, for that very reason.

I know I post too much, but I type somewhere around 150 words a minute, so it doesn't take nearly as much time as you may think, and I use those posts to develop my writing abilities. Frankly, I like getting PMs telling me someone enjoyed a post. I learn more from writing here than in any writing I have ever done in my entire life. Moreover, I appreciate the opportunity to read others' meaningless posts, because the caliber of writing here is significantly above average. Even if it is about crap.

I know I spend too much time on the boards, too, but I sit here working half the night and I like having the board up for company. I also don't waste my time going to movies and hanging out in bars. This is my entertainment time. And I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

So sue me. Pbbbbft!
Last edited by Lambchop on Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Everyone else expresses their opinions so I don't see why MS can't either. Should he come here and say, "Gee I love this board the way it's turning out!" if he doesn't mean it? It seems to me that anybody who disagrees with the majority around here gets accused of being inconsiderate or a bigot or something.
In the course of regular, face to face conversation do we always talk about meaningful stuff? I get rather tired of the same old controverial threads all the time.

I practice something every day. I play Flute, mountain and hammered dulcimer, whistle, harmonica, mandolin and autoharp. My dad just gave me a guitar. Those chords are killing my hand. What's up with that F?
I have a banjo and a fiddle which are my collecting items.
I post from work because I do support and can post between cases.
Is it OK to practice something else? Frankly I became a coward with the whistle. I had such trouble getting nice rolls that I whined like a two year old. Cara tried to teach me but I keep playing them more like grace notes.
Everyone could benefit from that advice. Especially his perfect command of the English language.
Maybe they are waiting to have something meaningful to say. See #1.
I think you just did.
But the controversial threads are always the same boring thing. What I really miss (and need to go to the whistle board to see) are the old, "...that's not Irish so you can't play a whistle....", "...how dare you play an Irish song on a CD if you don't play it like a natural born Irish person...." fights. Those were great. Really pissed a lot of people off.

I like everyone I've met in person and would probably like the people in person that I don't like on this board because this medium is BAAAD for real communication.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Flyingcursor wrote: But the controversial threads are always the same boring thing. What I really miss (and need to go to the whistle board to see) are the old, "...that's not Irish so you can't play a whistle....", "...how dare you play an Irish song on a CD if you don't play it like a natural born Irish person...." fights. Those were great. Really pissed a lot of people off.
I take responsibility for them but they were NEVER about what you say. They were about bad or semi-beginner playing but the 'Irish' thing was always drawn into them by people who could not admit the critisism was of their poor, wooden playing sometimes without rhythm and often with intonation problems. The critisisms were alway directed at those qualities in combination with a use of the playing to teach, review or adverstise instruments.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Peter Laban wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote: But the controversial threads are always the same boring thing. What I really miss (and need to go to the whistle board to see) are the old, "...that's not Irish so you can't play a whistle....", "...how dare you play an Irish song on a CD if you don't play it like a natural born Irish person...." fights. Those were great. Really pissed a lot of people off.
I take responsibility for them but they were NEVER about what you say. They were about bad or semi-beginner playing but the 'Irish' thing was always drawn into them by people who could not admit the critisism was of their poor, wooden playing sometimes without rhythm and often with intonation problems. The critisisms were alway directed at those qualities in combination with a use of the playing to teach, review or adverstise instruments.
:lol: I know. You explained that to me in the last "CD" thread. I was just trying to obey rule #7. I'm amazed Bloomfield didn't hop on that one.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Flyingcursor wrote: I'm amazed Bloomfield didn't hop on that one.
It's early yet in New York :wink:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

MurphyStout wrote:

Well said. I agree with most of the rest, too, but these two really hit the nail on the head. (I started a couple of other, longer responses, but decided not to post them. 8) )

One thing I don't get is why people join the C&F, which is nominally a whistle/flute/ITM board, and then post almost exclusively to the pub, stuff totally unrelated to music. Why join a music community and then never discuss music?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BigDavy

Posting to the Pub

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Chas
One thing I don't get is why people join the C&F, which is nominally a whistle/flute/ITM board, and then post almost exclusively to the pub, stuff totally unrelated to music. Why join a music community and then never discuss music?
I think that Lambchop's reply covers this quite well.
I know I post meaningless crap, but I don't have anything useful to say about music. I try not to post on the flute and whistle forums, restricting myself to the pub, for that very reason.
If you were to ask me something about tin whistle technique then you you would not get an intelligable reply as my tin whistle playing is c**p. As to a particular player's playing / recording that would be different as I have been exposed to some of the best playing in the world.

The pub is here to cover the non musical side of this community and if somebody wants to post here then as long as it is not offensive then good luck to them.

david
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I'm having a real problem complying with Rule 5. :wink:

I'm buying a D/G melodeon tomorrow, but I daren't post on the ITM board because I'm not going to be playing ITM on it! :D

Jack, you long-haired layabout, when are you gonna get your hairy self over to London?
chas wrote: One thing I don't get is why people join the C&F, which is nominally a whistle/flute/ITM board, and then post almost exclusively to the pub, stuff totally unrelated to music. Why join a music community and then never discuss music?
For myself, Chas, I can say that when I joined I did play whistle, way back when Peter Laban was new here too, but for the last couple years my musical interests have developed in different directions (fiddle), not covered by this board. When I have a specific question about ITM, the ITM board is a good resource.

I still visit almost daily because I've made good friends here. Oh, and a couple of good enemies. :twisted:
Last edited by Martin Milner on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
missy

Post by missy »

chas wrote:
I can discuss music. I've contributed to a "few" thread on music and whistle. I'm just not proficient on whistle, nor do I know a LOT about ITM, so I can only marginally post on those two topics. If you look at another board that is instrument driven, you'll see that I have quite a lot of posts that discuss that instrument, music played, etc.

I look at this as a sorta cyber music festival. While we know what brought us here together originally, it's not the ONLY aspect of our personalities. I find it interesting to read others (especially those outside of my country) views on various topics. At a festival, especially later on in the night, you'll find music, but you'll also find discussions about anything and everything going on. And since we're international, "later on in the night" can be any time of day (sorta like it's 5 o'clock somewhere!).

Sure - there's some threads I have no interest in. I just don't read them! Shocking, I know.

What never ceases to amaze me, however, is that whenever the "discussion" of what is appropriate to be written about (and I'm not just referring to C&F - I've seen this come up numerous times on any email list or board I've been on) it's never the owner or moderator of the board that brings it up. It's never the person taking care of things or paying the bills (for the webspace). Why is that? Perhaps they LIKE what is going on? And if so, and since they are the ones paying the bill - I certainly wouldn't try to take over and dictate what is or isn't appropriate. But - hey - that's just me..........

As to posting vs. practicing - I post "inbetween" a lot of things - in between working on the computer at work - in between working on stuff at home - in between running here or there. I also practice that way, but honestly, practicing music in the lab is kinda difficult. Unhygenic, too! I do a lot of listening to music, but I can type and listen at the same time.
Flydood wrote:
"I like everyone I've met in person...."

Gee - he likes me!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com