Polluting/spamming the forums

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Brian Lee wrote:I've found that I post less and less anymore, and many of our more experienced posters (and players for that matter)* have given up completely on C&F as a whole ages ago.
*defined as people you "know"(in an online way) versus people you've never attempted to know and therefore have no clue as to whether they are what you call "serious players" or not.

What I'm hearing is another telling of the oft-told tale of change in the neighborhood--oft-told, because it oft-happens.

You can't freeze time.
Rent the "Pleasantville" dvd.

I have this thought about this subject--and this is meant as a serious suggestion, not as a "bug off":
Why doesn't one of you start a LiveJournal or a Blogger on the specific subjects you used to most enjoy on C&F?
That way, you can develop a "friends" list, and limit the discussions and responses to people and topics of your choice.

This is how my college daughter stays connected to a huge network of friends, both new and old, all over the world, and while their discussion topics are random, you could easily create such a site to focus on ITM, music that interests you, etc.

You would be in control.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Have you guys noticed that you never see Alan and Dale together?

Hehehe.
missy

Post by missy »

DaleWisely wrote:Have you guys noticed that you never see Alan and Dale together?

Hehehe.
Or Alan, Dale and Tom Cruise????? :o

and I'll use the devil emoticons just because:

:twisted: :devil: :moreevil:
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

The forum includes a large area, the Pub, for the proliferation of a staggering range of contributions, largely unrelated to music. It's mostly interesting, fun, irritating, infuriating, humorous, sad, exhilerating and disappointing. In this, it reminds me of life.

For the musically inclined, we offer a number of forums for posts on musical subjects, which do get used, as it turns out.

So...

What was the question again?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I've found that I post less and less anymore, and many of our more experienced posters (and players for that matter)* have given up completely on C&F as a whole ages ago.
I suppose that's true. And I gather that's because they couldn't tolerate off-topic discussion in general, or particular points of view in...uh...particular. So, to them I bid farewell. And I really mean it.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Denny wrote:Oh dear! Bloomfield has evoked a common enemy.
THE JUDAEAN PEOPLES' FRONT??
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I wasn't going to say anything on this thread....I don't have too much to say really. But I thought that I should at the very least express my sorrow that many of the "old timers" here have chosen to leave. This really does make me very sad, and being one of the more flagrant of the frivolous posters here, I do blame myself quite a bit for that. I don't know if this is something that is more pregnancy hormone inspired or not, but I really do feel very badly about the whole thing. At any rate, I'm thinking that trying to keep my more frivolous posts down to a minimum would be a good thing.

I'm wondering if perhaps a large reason why there is so much more "noise" these days has more to do with how many people really are here now. I realize that many of the people who are actually registered don't even post (as Teri pointed out), but I can't help but think that despite that fact, there are quite a few more people posting anyway then there once was when C&F first got off the ground. Not having been one of the "originals" I really have no way of knowing...but it seems logical to me.

I do think that many of the conclusions that have been drawn here are very unfair. I do not post frequently on the Whistle forum. This is not because I choose not to go there, I just don't have a lot to say. I'm still fairly new on the whistle (and don't feel terribly competent to move on to something else because of it), and so I'm still trying to learn as much as I can. Most of what I would ask is already there, and so I read much more than I post on the whistle forum. It's my understanding that along with the "noise" generated over here, it is also annoying for those of you that have been here far longer than I to have to keep answering these questions over and over again (at least that is the impression I have gotten...please forgive me if I am wrong). As much as I don't want to contribute to the "noise" level any more than necessary, I also don't want to be excessively annoying by asking a million questions that have been asked a million times before. Although I will say that for those of you to yell and tell us less than superior whistle players to learn how to play, and then not want to give us advice when we try seems to be rather hypocritical. But what I am trying to say here is that there seems to be an awful lot of assumptions being thrown out, and I would tend to think that just because the general populace here isn't a superior whistle player, that doesn't mean we aren't trying . I personally don't have the time to go to sessions (and there are none terribly close to me anyway). I would love to, but it just isn't going to happen unless I move to a place where they have them in abundance (which I am working on I think....). I also don't have too much time in a day to just sit and practice...I have a family to feed and a house to run among other things. I practice when I can, and that's all I can do. Yes, I could be practicing instead of posting, but honestly, despite my 2000+ "status" I very often go for days without posting at all because I just don't have time (in fact, more often than not, I go over to Bro. Steve's site to practice my rolls when I am online.). I commend all of you who are able to find the time to do all of these things, but please refrain from beating up on those of us who actually don't have your lack of time constraints.

I'm sorry that this got so long. In the future, as I said, I will refrain from contributing to the "noise" as much as I have. I don't really think that this will bring anyone back, but I'll at least do my part to help with it.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
BigDavy

Posting to the Pub

Post by BigDavy »

Izzarina said
I'm sorry that this got so long. In the future, as I said, I will refrain from contributing to the "noise" as much as I have. I don't really think that this will bring anyone back, but I'll at least do my part to help with it.
Hi Izzarina

Keep posting away I like to read your posts even it gets up MS's nose.

Dale, I like the Pub the way it is - semi anarchichical, it has been a source of amusement to me since it's inception, even though it seems to to confirm the belief over here that Americans are generally nice, but nuts.

Keep up the good work.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Izzarina,

Thanks for your post. I appreciate that you took the time to offer your views in such a sincere manner.

I've been mulling over your comments and debating whether or not it would productive to give some sort of reply. It might be productive for an understanding between us, but not the community.

I have received responses from non-posters. Thank you all. I'll share some of the information (in general and annonymously) at a later date, if the contributors have no objections. It's been interesting.
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Hey darling, sent you a PM ;-)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yes, because of Amar, the whole CP thing took off, tis true.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hi izzy---I think you are a senstive person and that's why you feel upset. I don't think that the intention really was to make people feel so bad, but I think some of these fellows just talk a little rough and they don't realize that others aren't used to it and can really take it to heart. Since we can't hear tones of voices and see expressions, communications don't always work in the intended way.

You are a responsible person in real life and so now you feel responsible for driving away the "old timers". GET REAL DUDETTE!!! :lol: I would boink you on the head with a loaf of bread, but for obvious reasons I can't.

You aren't making a problem! I wrote a big long lecture and, luckily for you, I deleted it. Just continue as you are. You are a good companion in the Pub. Your whistle-playing is your business, you don't need to explain it to anyone. You aren't interferring with anyone else. Got that???? :lol:
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

chas wrote:
Denny wrote:Oh dear! Bloomfield has evoked a common enemy.
THE JUDAEAN PEOPLES' FRONT??
No! It's the People's Judean Front! Eejit!

And yes, the irony of the silly reply to a silly post in this thread is delicious. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

emmline wrote:What I'm hearing is another telling of the oft-told tale of change in the neighborhood--oft-told, because it oft-happens.

You can't freeze time.
Exactly. The only thing worse than being old and set in your ways is being young and set in your ways. Life is too short, varied and interesting for that.
DaleWisely wrote:The forum includes a large area, the Pub, for the proliferation of a staggering range of contributions, largely unrelated to music. It's mostly interesting, fun, irritating, infuriating, humorous, sad, exhilerating and disappointing. In this, it reminds me of life.

For the musically inclined, we offer a number of forums for posts on musical subjects, which do get used, as it turns out.
That's the best (and most authoritative) answer I've seen in this thread. Pretty much sums it up, I think.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

The Weekenders wrote:
anniemcu wrote:
hmmm... could it be because you think important things are important, tend to know what you are talking about, say what you mean in a reasonbly articulate manner, and are able to back up your arguments ? ... that makes you hard for a lot of people to take. :)
Hmmmmm.......It COULD but it's NOT.

Fercrynoutloud, read the posts here. It's about getting along, respecting other people and their participation and PARTLY about not filling the Forum with today's political talking points, posed in the form of fake polls. When several long-time posters, who are more likely to agree with Gilder than not, go to pains to qualify exactly what concerns them, resorting to your suspicion that he is a great ideologue and thus resented is unhelpful in the extreme.

My contention is that a kind of negativity is fostered by it, to the point where its no fun for anyone, except maybe Gilder, who enjoys hearing and reading himself opine, apparently, on POLITICAL subjects. Hey, I do my share too, but no one has ever started a thread, and named me and wished I would stop starting threads. Fact is, I don't start that many threads, but a few have gone big over the years.

For post after post, Gilder continues to nail Bush. But the fact is, most everyone on this Forum who posts agrees with him, to SOME degree. So what is the point? Is it all to convince the fraction who might disagree?
I don't see why he bothers. All he has to do is post something negative about Bush, Simon will answer with a refinement, and you will likely amen it. Where is the challenge, fun or interest in that? It's tiresome.

Yes, I am super-imposing my feelings a bit over Murph's, but its only to utterly and completely refute your "suspicion" that Gilder's brilliance bugs Jack. And Jack's post is NOT ONLY about Gilder, but I am once again addressing this specific issue.

Maybe Murph doesn't have a lot of practice articulating his feelings, but it certainly isn't because he resents Gilder for hatin' Bush and the war.....
Cripes, Bloomie... you took my post much more seriously than I did. ... yes, I do believe that *at least part* of the reason Gilder gets so much of a reaction is that he does, indeed make *some* people nervous for exactly the reasons I stated, but I don't by any stretch find him the "great ideologue" or brilliant political guide of my life (that's *my* position, :twisted: ), and I don't see you as either stupid or scared of him... so don't do the 'In a bunch! In a bunch!" thing with your own drawers. That was not a beatific smile I put at the end of that post, it was just a smile, as in there isn't an emoticon for an ironic/sarcastic smirk.

Personally, although he *occaisionally* gets a bit over the top (like many here, in heated discussion or on a less than stellar day), he generally is well informed and has decent, viable sources. He posts about things that are of very great importance in my world (I'd argue the world at large) and I do largely agree with him. That does not give him a free pass. It just means that I don't resent his posting, just as I don't resent the posting of anybody here that I can think of, though it is obvious that Murphy, and you, do.

If I don't care for the topic, or the poster, I usually just skip that. If I actually disagree or have an opionion or comment that I think will either illuminate, support, counter or entertain, I will continue to post it. Sometimes I'm even guilty of a fly-by posting. Folks have the same freedom to pass by my posts if they so choose.

As I have said, I have a decade of experience with message boards, and this type of post (refering to the original post in this particular thread) is a regular, cyclic thing. The end result is almost always that most decide that the company and discussion is good enough to stay. Some even learn something from it... be it self control, or relaxation and tolerance... and some few people actually leave the board. That is their choice.

My real point is, I will not ask someone to 'shut up' at my table unless they are actually being abusive. This is not *my* table, but it a big table, and I rarely see someone being actually abusive. If you will recall, I *do* say something at those times. I even sometimes totally agree with you, though those are rare enough times that I usually note it. :D

Oh, and addressing another "point" in the original post... I play whistle a lot, am considered pretty good by those hapless folks who don't know any better, and know that I am nowhere nearly as good as many here. I do in fact frequently sit playing while I read these very boards. For what it's worth, I think that qualifies me as an actual whistle playing, over 1000 post, (though just barely 2 years), member. Murphy is welcome to ignore me to his little ol' heart's content. You as well if you so choose.

eidited to clarify a point
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com