Polluting/spamming the forums

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Teri-K »

jGilder wrote:
Teri-K wrote:
jGilder wrote:I can see that Murphy has friends in here, and that's great, but go back and review the initial post again as if he wasn't your offspring. Try to imagine him singling you out or your posting habits or insulting your contributions. Try thinking about the unnamed whose feelings might be hurt by what he said -- then commence with his defense.
Your reference to some sort of maternal feelings is so incorrect that I can only imagine they must be coming from your need to lash out. By your statement, I can tell you that you obviously do not know me.
I should have been clearer that it wasn't just you that seemed to treat Murphy as some sort of C&F prodigal son – I was referring to everyone that has come to his defense.
I'm sorry, Jack, I honestly do not mean to belittle your take, or wording - but when I read the phrase "C&F prodigal son", I actually did laugh outloud. No slam aimed at you, just that those are not words I'd use to describe Murph.

I'm not defending anyone or anything aside from my own view. Murph can defend himself. I just happen to agree with the essence of his post (i.e., how I interpreted the meaning of his words.) Why, he mentioned you, or anyone else, can only be elaborated upon by him.

P.S. Now should I be all offended and upset that you inferred that Jack could be my son, hence making me feel older than dirt?? :P
Last edited by Teri-K on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

s1m0n wrote:Sometimes Jack overreacts
OVERREACTS?
I DO NOT!!!

Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Teri-K wrote:P.S. Now should I be all offended and upset that you inferred that Jack could be my son, hence making me feel older than dirt?? :P
Atta girl! Slam us old farts that are old enoughkids
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:Does anyone have sheetmusic for Money Money Money, and Chicitita, Dancing Queen, Waterloo, and Take A Chance on Me? Whistle tabs would be great. Oh, and you guys are gonna flip when you hear this: I have a Susato signed by Anagret! How flippin' cool is that?!?

I forgot what about The Winner Takes It All?

Thanks!
This is a blatant, not to mention shocking, fabrication, as Nano would know how to spell Chiquitita.

edit: Oh. I see that horse has left the gate.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Bloomfield wrote:Cynth, I'm trying to make jGilder feel better but I am not doing very well, I guess.
Oh dear. :lol: That is really poignant. Well, we can only try.

He didn't help the cause when he accused Teri-K of having maternal feelings toward MS. :lol: At this point I'm going to drop and roll on outta here.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Denny wrote:
Teri-K wrote:P.S. Now should I be all offended and upset that you inferred that Jack could be my son, hence making me feel older than dirt?? :P
I've got a driver's license here with a birthdate that could beat yours I have a son 10 yrs. older than Jack :D
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

anniemcu wrote:
jGilder wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I do feel that you are leaving a mark on the 'pub with the frequency and type of your posts, and while I don't think Murphy is particularly diplomatic in addressing the issue, I think it's a fair topic for discussion here (just like comercial posts), and not just something that needs to go into PMs.
I'm certainly not the only one posting political topics; there are others as well so why am I singled out? When I'm not practicing or playing gigs etc., I’m thinking a lot about politics. blabla
hmmm... could it be because you think important things are important, tend to know what you are talking about, say what you mean in a reasonbly articulate manner, and are able to back up your arguments ? ... that makes you hard for a lot of people to take. :)
Hmmmmm.......It COULD but it's NOT.

Fercrynoutloud, read the posts here. It's about getting along, respecting other people and their participation and PARTLY about not filling the Forum with today's political talking points, posed in the form of fake polls. When several long-time posters, who are more likely to agree with Gilder than not, go to pains to qualify exactly what concerns them, resorting to your suspicion that he is a great ideologue and thus resented is unhelpful in the extreme.

My contention is that a kind of negativity is fostered by it, to the point where its no fun for anyone, except maybe Gilder, who enjoys hearing and reading himself opine, apparently, on POLITICAL subjects. Hey, I do my share too, but no one has ever started a thread, and named me and wished I would stop starting threads. Fact is, I don't start that many threads, but a few have gone big over the years.

For post after post, Gilder continues to nail Bush. But the fact is, most everyone on this Forum who posts agrees with him, to SOME degree. So what is the point? Is it all to convince the fraction who might disagree?
I don't see why he bothers. All he has to do is post something negative about Bush, Simon will answer with a refinement, and you will likely amen it. Where is the challenge, fun or interest in that? It's tiresome.

Yes, I am super-imposing my feelings a bit over Murph's, but its only to utterly and completely refute your "suspicion" that Gilder's brilliance bugs Jack. And Jack's post is NOT ONLY about Gilder, but I am once again addressing this specific issue.

Maybe Murph doesn't have a lot of practice articulating his feelings, but it certainly isn't because he resents Gilder for hatin' Bush and the war.....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

The Weekenders wrote:Fercrynoutloud, read the posts here. It's about getting along, respecting other people and their participation and PARTLY about not filling the Forum with today's political talking points, posed in the form of fake polls. When several long-time posters, who are more likely to agree with Gilder than not, go to pains to qualify exactly what concerns them, resorting to your suspicion that he is a great ideologue and thus resented is unhelpful in the extreme.

My contention is that a kind of negativity is fostered by it, to the point where its no fun for anyone, except maybe Gilder, who enjoys hearing and reading himself opine, apparently, on POLITICAL subjects. Hey, I do my share too, but no one has ever started a thread, and named me and wished I would stop starting threads. Fact is, I don't start that many threads, but a few have gone big over the years.

For post after post, Gilder continues to nail Bush. But the fact is, most everyone on this Forum who posts agrees with him, to SOME degree. So what is the point? Is it all to convince the fraction who might disagree?
I don't see why he bothers. All he has to do is post something negative about Bush, Simon will answer with a refinement, and you will likely amen it. Where is the challenge, fun or interest in that? It's tiresome.

Yes, I am super-imposing my feelings a bit over Murph's, but its only to utterly and completely refute your "suspicion" that Gilder's brilliance bugs Jack. And Jack's post is NOT ONLY about Gilder, but I am once again addressing this specific issue.

Maybe Murph doesn't have a lot of practice articulating his feelings, but it certainly isn't because he resents Gilder for hatin' Bush and the war.....
MurphyStout wrote:Now that doesn't mean when the weekenders says something stupid you can't correct him
No thanks... this whole thread is stupid. Correct yourselves, I'm outa here.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Teri-K wrote:
Denny wrote:
I've got a driver's license here with a birthdate that could beat yours I have a son 10 yrs. older than Jack :D
Okay... You win!
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

So what is "the truth" exactly then, Azalin -- that you have latent erotic feelings towards Murphy? Does Jack trigger a reaction in you? Come on -- you can talk about it here instead of playing with your flute -- I don't think it will be too boring for Murphy. He's probably very interested... if you know what I mean. Image
Nahhhh... I think, dear Jack, that you're one of those who can't handle the truth. But I give up right away when it comes to arguments, as sadly my english isnt as good as my french :-(
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Teri-K wrote:
Denny wrote:
Ohhhhh and Teri, you're one of those women I really love even though I never met. Your husband is a really lucky guy and I wish I knew some people in Seattle dealing with "broken legs" mouhahahaha :)

PS: Just joooookkkkinnnngggg
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Bloomfield wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Bloomfield, I am categorically NOT an ABBA fan. How could you?
So what's this then? You thought I had forgotten, eh?
Nanohedron wrote:Does anyone have sheetmusic for Money Money Money, and Chicitita, Dancing Queen, Waterloo, and Take A Chance on Me? Whistle tabs would be great. Oh, and you guys are gonna flip when you hear this: I have a Susato signed by Anagret! How flippin' cool is that?!?

I forgot what about The Winner Takes It All?

Thanks!
Hey could you guys cut all this humour out? It's threadjacking because this thread is about me, "the prodigal son," and how much of an ass I am.
The Weekenders wrote: Hey, I do my share too, but no one has ever started a thread, and named me and wished I would stop starting threads. Fact is, I don't start that many threads, but a few have gone big over the years.
Feeling left out? Don't think I didn't think about it a million times!! And I have no desire to stop Jack from starting threads; just asked him to stop giving us our twice daily bread.
jGilder wrote: Maybe I should start a thread and say:

"There is alot of pollution and spam on the forums these days. No I'm not talking about actual spam but seemingly thoughtless meaningless posts. And I'm also talking about people who feel the need to lecture the rest of us about how we should behave.

3. Jack Murphy - you know I love you man but jaysus. I read your posts and I'm pretty tired of how you feel a need to criticize everyone about what they're posting and how they're spending their time. Maybe you should spend more time practicing and learn more than three tunes. And even though I like you to contribute, (not the way you do) I would prefer if you did it a lot less; with less comments and less threads. Now that doesn't mean when someone says something stupid you can't tell them they should shut up and practice... just don't go out of your way to start a bunch of new opportunities to lecture them. You'll find that there are many other interesting things on the forums to talk about besides how people are behaving and whether you approve of it or not (like politics or religion)."

Now just imagine what kind of reaction I'd get if I posted something like that.
If you posted that, you would get an "You're absolutely right" from me. Every freaking word of it is true. I am an ass. Unlike a few others I don't need a rude, knowitall, 22 year old to tell me when I've been misbehaiving, and getting on everyone's nerves to one degree or another. Hell, start the thread... even add a poll if you would like.

Hey s1mOn, I couldn't agree more.
No I'm not returning...
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

The Weekenders wrote: Fact is, I don't start that many threads, but a few have gone big over the years...
..and you initiated the cutie-pie thread because of who...c'mon now..speak up...i'm waiting...
:wink:
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

So we have this one pub here in town - it thinks it's Irish. Got an Irish themed name, got the tri color hanging proudly out front, and various Guinness/Bass/Jameson's signs displayed prominently in the window.

Now this pub's been open a little over two years. When it first opened, the food was great, the atmosphere wonderful, and it was the best thing to happen to the pub "scene" (this is still Salt Lake after all) here in ages. The owner was very active in the local Hibernian society, and seemed to have a keen interest in not only opening up a highly classy pub, but one that truly reflected a less standard American and more "old world" (as he puts it) Irish or UK experience.

Well, as time's worn on, the owner has become more and more interested in the bottom line, and turning his proffits higher every month - and less with the original feel of the place. So now the ol' pub has become just another green beer and plastic shamrock joint. Sports game re-runs blaring on multiple TV's. St. Pat's day there is appalling. The food's gone right in the toilet. We've played a regular weekly session there almost since it's opening, but many of us regular musicians have been talking over a good place to move to that we don't have to compete with the 49ers game, or the juke.

The boards here have become much the same thing. Lots of static. Lots of noise, and less and less of the root cause they were initially created to support. Waaaaaay back when, back when Teri K was in her teens probably :wink: , we didn't have a splintered board. Everyone who came here did so to talk about whistles, or music, or a particular maker etc. We even had many more makers takling then. I wonder how many of our current numbers have even read through Dale's site? It's called Chiff and Fipple - and it deals almost exclusively with the Irish tin whistle. There is a small section on home gorilla breeding, but apart from that, it's solid.

Over the past few years, it's been said that the boards have reached a "critical mass", and were just not manageable as they once were. However true that may be, it strikes me as highly curious that there never really seemed to be a need for management at the onset...but now we have 4 moderators just trying to keep up with civility.

As has been pointed out before, there are PLENTY of boards on the internet for discussion of any topic you like: Politics, religion, more politics, sexual orientations, genome splicing, the cost of fruit/monkeys/spare organs in India...hell, you can probably find a forum for how to make money starting up your own fake Irish pub. And yet the balance here is more towards this trend and constantly growing further away from it's origins.

I've found that I post less and less anymore, and many of our more experienced posters (and players for that matter) have given up completely on C&F as a whole ages ago. As it stands, I fully expect to drop further and further down the total posts rank and file. If it's true we *have* reached this mystical critical mass, my fear is that C&F is due to go supernova at any time...with nothing left but a dead core...just your every day, average black hole.

(Where the hell is my thumbs down Charlie Chaplain emoticon when I need him?!?!)
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

The boards here have become much the same thing. Lots of static. Lots of noise, and less and less of the root cause they were initially created to support. Waaaaaay back when, back when Teri K was in her teens probably , we didn't have a splintered board. Everyone who came here did so to talk about whistles, or music, or a particular maker etc. We even had many more makers takling then. I wonder how many of our current numbers have even read through Dale's site? It's called Chiff and Fipple - and it deals almost exclusively with the Irish tin whistle. There is a small section on home gorilla breeding, but apart from that, it's solid.
Glancing through the first page of the Flute forum, how many topics would we guess are about flutes?

As of two minutes ago, EVERY SINGLE ONE was.

Where is this noise, this chaff, of which we speak? I am not talking about the Pub, but the content fora. Maybe if y'all contributed to them, instead of b!tching, you might like it here. We clueless newbs would love to receive some wisdom from on high.

If anybody wants to start their own password-protected forum for their own clique, go for it. It's not hard to do and would save those of us that find value here from wading through a lot of crap.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.