Polluting/spamming the forums

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

The Weekenders wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Oh, Weeks, dear. It's arrant, not errant. ;) "Arrant pedantry" as in "complete small-minded niggliness"
You used the N-word!!!!!! :boggle:
:D

I loved that story at the time.

I like to be in America,
Okay by me in America.
Everything free in America,
For a small fee in America.
/Bloomfield
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Backing up to the post that mentions the colassal irritation of thread hijacking. . .A hearty Hear, Hear! It is nails on chalkboard to have an interesting thread on whatever topic, musical or non, hijacked by someone who has to prove how witty they are -- how quick with innuendo. Or the same effect but in the opposite direction: the pseudo-naive purposefully 'misunderstanding' for attention.

Anyone get the sense that at least some of the board should be like a really good session? A private conversation held in a public arena? Join a thread if you have something meaningful to contribute and ignore it if you can't? Not just the deep 'topical' threads, but even the ones -- especially the ones -- you find to be a nuisance. Maybe post your witticism or hijack in PM?

Okay, okay. I know it won't happen. But wouldn't it be nice?

(editted)
Oh yeah, and I think newbies are great and should be encouraged to ask their questions. Search is a crappy way to facilitate a discussion. If you don't want to hear/see 'what whistle should I get' or 'how do I learn to sound good' skip the thread. Other no-longer-newbies would be happy to post answers and opinions.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Tyghress wrote:
Anyone get the sense that at least some of the board should be like a really good session? A private conversation held in a public arena? Join a thread if you have something meaningful to contribute and ignore it if you can't? Not just the deep 'topical' threads, but even the ones -- especially the ones -- you find to be a nuisance. Maybe post your witticism or hijack in PM?
That's more or less what I understood from Jack's thread.

Condensed version: manners
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Bloomfield wrote:
jGilder wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: That doesn't strike me as a fair (or funny) characterization of what Murphy said.
MurphyStout wrote:I really don't like this recent trend and a few regulars have also shared (some of) my sentiments. So I have a few modest freaking proposals!
MurphyStout wrote:I feel that I should say that this is a very nice place and I like most of the people on it and I love just about everyone I've met in person. I just wish that the pollution and spamming would stop.
I still don't see your point, Bloomfield. He's saying he isn't happy with HIS experience in this forum and wants changes made to suit HIS preferences. To me, (not just from these quotes, but from his statement at the start of this thread,) it appears that Jack is complaining about how his personal expectations aren't being met. He points a "few" others have agreed with HIS view so he now feels emboldened to initiate this thread and lecture us on how to fulfill his preconceptions about what this board should be. If Dale consulted Jack prior to setting up the pub to make certain that it met with his approval I will withdraw my statement, but I'm aware of no such arrangement.

I think that walking into a public environment like this with too many personal expectations isn't very good mind-set for healthy social interaction. When I'm saying that the board is for everyone, I'm suggesting that we try to have an open mind and allow others to be who they are rather than who we expect them to be.
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Teri-K wrote:That's more or less what I understood from Jack's thread.

Condensed version: manners
I think he might have employed better manners in getting his message across if that the gist. The errant attacks he made on some people were uncalled for and wouldn’t be considered very polite in any setting. I’m not just talking about his comments about me, (being the only one singled out,) but the others as well.

Personally, I like Jack and enjoy it when he comes around to our session. When he does turn up there he always makes a point of telling me how great my posts are and how I should “keep em coming.” He gives me a thumbs-up and says, “good work” as he’s leaving. I’m confused now.
emmline

Post by emmline »

jsluder wrote: I have been known, however, to take the mickey out of folks
Right. Thanks for straightening me out. Obviously not a regular feature of my personal vernacular.
jsluder wrote: Let me just say that I'm glad the world (including C&F) is not as unchanging and stifling as some would seem to prefer.
It's called stasism. Bloody unpleasant.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

jGilder wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:
jGilder wrote:
MurphyStout wrote:I feel that I should say that this is a very nice place and I like most of the people on it and I love just about everyone I've met in person. I just wish that the pollution and spamming would stop.
I still don't see your point, Bloomfield. He's saying he isn't happy with HIS experience in this forum and wants changes made to suit HIS preferences. To me, (not just from these quotes, but from his statement at the start of this thread,) it appears that Jack is complaining about how his personal expectations aren't being met. He points a "few" others have agreed with HIS view so he now feels emboldened to initiate this thread and lecture us on how to fulfill his preconceptions about what this board should be. If Dale consulted Jack prior to setting up the pub to make certain that it met with his approval I will withdraw my statement, but I'm aware of no such arrangement.

I think that walking into a public environment like this with too many personal expectations isn't very good mind-set for healthy social interaction. When I'm saying that the board is for everyone, I'm suggesting that we try to have an open mind and allow others to be who they are rather than who we expect them to be.
Talk about blowing it out of proportion. You are confusing who the board is for, and how those who are part of the board should behave. Murph did not say the board was only for him. He said that he feels for everyone who is here, certain posts are good and others are less good if there is too many of them.

About Jack complaining that his personal expectations aren't met: What else should one complain about? We are all here with expectations and it is perfectly permissible and wholesome to discuss them.
/Bloomfield
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Jack's thread was to make people think about what they are posting and I believe it has stimulated some interesting discussion and thought. The Pub forum reminds me of the chatroom in some ways and for those of you who like the socializing, face to face dialogue etc., come on in to chat. Personally, I have learned more from the chatroom about whistles and flutes and bagpipes etc etc than I can absorb or wade through on the forums. Just a personal quirk of mine I guess. But the great thing is that useless drivel, nonsense and general insanity also does occur there. So if you can't handle that, best to stay out.
Since I consider myself a "student" and am still learning I don't have a lot to contribute to the forums as yet. I generally don't post unless I have something to contribute. However, I do enjoy Jack's discussions in the chatroom and Eld's and Walden's and Alan's and Ava's and Karina's and and MarkB's and Erik's and Week's etc etc etc...and not all of it is music related. It's just a place for friends who share an interest in the same instruments and music to hang out. Maybe it's an alternative to consider for some of you. It's a friendly place and the personal attacks that I see on the forums aren't generally seen.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Bloomfield wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:This might escape the reckoning of newcomers, but this thread reminds me of the ol' days. Like 'It's Sickening" and "Farewell, Friends and Morons." Nyuk. Kinda edgy, some offense taken, some mutual admiration. That's the spirit, chiffsters.

Oh yes, and certainly errant pedantry.....I guess...whatever that really means.
Oh, Weeks, dear. It's arrant, not errant. ;) "Arrant pedantry" as in "complete small-minded niggliness"
There is certainly errant pedantry too, here, and I can point to myself as an occasional source.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I am soooo confused....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

The Weekenders wrote:I am soooo confused....
It's my fault, I'm sure.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I'm having trouble keeping up with THIS thread. It just all seems, so WORDY.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Oh sure, K, just smother us with aryant pendantry!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

The Weekenders wrote:Oh sure, K, just smother us with aryant pendantry!
Weeks, I'm disappointed with you. It's bad enough to accuse Kevin of posting nazi sentiments, but do you have to beat around the bush as well? :wink:

Edit: Oops, sorry for the hijack. You know, I don't see all that much OT stuff in the other fora other than the inevitable thread drift. As for the Pub, well, it's the Pub. Take it or leave it. I don't have to read everything that gets posted here, and I don't. And I don't really care about that stuff being there, either. If it's someone's cup of tea, that's nice.

Just my $.02...
Last edited by Nanohedron on Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

After two, getting on for three weeks, of twelve/ fourteen hour days - it's a long story - I come to my favourite place on the 'net to find a battle raging.
Seven pages later,all I can say is....
Murph has some very valid points and I admire him putting his neck on the line by stating them but when all is said and done, this is a Pub.
I have a vast amount of experience of being in Pubs and from that experience I have learned that most Pub conversations are dodgy in the extreme.Many other Pub conversations can be very enlightening and rewarding.In this Pub somebody like me can meet people who would never meet in "the real world" and enjoy their company,a much better company than I would meet in my own "local" where the conversation tends to revolve around football, women and horses.
We come here for many different reasons, not all to do with the finer points of Irish Music - after all that is what the other forums are for - and we all get on together, in a fashion.
Now with all due respect Murph, and I know that you don't drink, it's a Pub and anything goes.
We don't all share your passion for studying every nuance,ornament,breath and whatever it is drives your great passion but I ,for one, admire your intensity and wonder why you need the Pub forum when you have a lifetime ahead of you to study the music you love so much.
I have never believed that practice makes perfect.Perfection, to my way of thinking, is being happy with what you play and if your playing removes you from the world around you - including message boards - then you have found the road to perfection.
It's not about how those old guys did it , it's about where it takes you.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats